Murphy Oil

2.3

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Murphy Oil.

Talked to one of their company representatives at the Career Fair at my school. Received an interview soon after the Career Fair. Pretty informal process compared to others - I liked the relaxed yet professional way it was handled. The interview was pretty relaxed and mostly they just asked questions about my resume and involvement. HR for this company is overall very helpful and comprised of good people.

Interview Questions
    • The question was complex but summarized was this: A pump unit offshore is drawing too much current, what do you do?   View Answer
    Was given two weeks to respond. Fairly flexible and helpful.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Murphy Oil.

Met at a restaurant, didn't really ask me anything, as I have a stronger background than the job I wanted part time, gave me papers and said your hired.

Interview Questions
    • how much money you want to make? That is a very unprofessional question?   View Answer

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado, AR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Murphy Oil in April 2013.

The organization (Murphy USA) has a contract recruiter who contacted me about the opening. Almost all correspondence was done via email until it was time to fly in to El Dorado AR for finals following a 1 hour 45 minute videoconference. The contract recruiter level set my expectations for the role, promotion expectations, compensation targets, and salary opportunity "for the right person," and her very positive cultural experiences with the organization. The subsequent videoconference interview with the Recruiting Manager was thorough and left me with the impression that this was an employer of choice. The Recruiting Manager had a high likeability factor via videoconference and projected a positive leadership style which made me motivated to fly in to meet the rest of the team.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected interview question was actually an answer that I received when asking why the previous recruiter was terminated. Though I understand the reasons that individual was terminated, the operative behavior/correction strategy I heard about was an eye opening shocker. I include that comment paraphrase below from the Recruiting Manager:   View Answer

I declined the offer because the contract recruiter by phone clearly communicated the highpoint salary opportunity before I flew in. I was scheduled for a half day in person interview (each team member interview session was cut short because I sat in the lobby for one hour during what was to be the first scheduled interview.) Since my interview questions were not addressed in detail due to the allotted time running out due to the late start, I felt I needed to close the Recruiting Manager on having another session the next morning so that I could get my questions answered. In other words, I felt the need to close her on closing me. I was told just before flying out that the offer I could expect would be 6% less than what the contract recruiter indicated before flying in. Four days later, I received a formal written offer that was ANOTHER 6% less than what I was told to expect on the day I flew out. In other words, the offer I finally received was 11-15% LESS than what I was led to believe before investing five days of my life to fly down to discover Murphy USA. I have never seen such a bait and switch in any company I’ve ever worked for or interviewed with. I’m scratching my head: what changed over a one week period? I was told the compensation double downgrades were the decision of the HR Director. During the interviews, I heard about how establishing trust and credibility with the hiring managers was of paramount importance. Based on the final offer I received, I cannot help but wonder if the recruiting methodology Murphy USA wished for me to employ included promising candidates one number by phone, watching for their buying signals during in person meetings, serving up a lesser number for candidates to ruminate over during their flights home, and then delivering in writing a lesser number still at the point of formal offer. One of Murphy USA's published core values addresses "integrity-do the right thing." Another core value states "celebrate." I received what was in essence two pay cuts before I even accepted an offer. Since actions speak louder than words, the celebration I now enjoy is based on maintaining a level of professional integrity that includes NEVER doing to any candidate what Murphy USA did to this Senior Recruiter candidate who would have been responsible for attracting, hiring, and relocating professionals to their enterprise. Since the root word of "recruit" means "to bring new life," the flagship HR leadership at Murphy USA and other GlassDoor reviews demonstrated to me that "recruiting as if people mattered" is optional, and that "integrity" must have an alternative meaning within their four walls.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheraw, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheraw, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Murphy Oil in February 2013.

The process didn't take long.I was called for an interview.I was asked questions about my values and past projects completed. I had to do videos for training and the other cashiers helped me. It was a hands-on training experience.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked, "What projects have you, or are you, pursuing or have pursued?"   View Answer
    Was I able to close the store? I said yes.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado, AR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Murphy Oil in June 2012.

The biggest factor was the willingness to learn the industry. If you displayed a track record of work ethic and a positive attitude towards the job that went deeper than "how much will I get paid", it seemed like it put you at the top of the list. The whole process went quickly once the jobs were posted online. I had been made aware of the opening and applied to HR a few months prior to authorization.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question was asking how to solve a problem that you know nothing about. They want you to dive into your thought process and explicitly state each step. It was a fun, but challenging, question as they responded to each step in order to elicit a response. Confidence and professionalism seemed to play a large role in how they picked a candidate because I knew many of the other interviewees. Other than that, the entire interview was standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Murphy Oil in November 2011.

I had to keep calling to get my foot in the door. I was interviewed in the small kiosk. But it was typical questions, basically personality questions. I was sent to do a drug test and then wait on my background test. Only took about 2-3 days for it all the come back.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you will be ready to work by yourself in about 3 days?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They told you how much you got paid, either take it or leave.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rowlett, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rowlett, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Murphy Oil in June 2011.

Went pretty easy, was called in for a interview. Hiring manager was nice compared to most. I think I got the job. She got me to take a drug test and background check. No word back yet.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Murphy Oil in November 2010.

The interview process is extremely long and boring. They make you apply online and take a pointless quiz which easily takes up to two hours. The first steep is a phone interview, the next steep is a video interview on the computer, and then finally the real interview. During my real interview the guys were constantly checking the blackberries while I was talking it was very rude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carthage, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carthage, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Murphy Oil in October 2010.

I think the interview went well at least I hope it did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ripley, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ripley, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Murphy Oil in October 2010.

i believe murphys has a good interview system. I think they may need to be more careful about who they hire because they keep tending to get people who could care less about their jobs. I personally am very dedicated to my job & do my best to complete my shift as required & go out of my way to do things not asked of me when i have adequate time to do my duties plus extras (it isnt often that the time is even adequate to do the required things.)

Interview Questions
    what negotiation? they said you will start out at so & so & in 30 days you will get a raise & in 90 days from that you will get another raise. The money is not bad but its not worth the weather conditions you have to deal with while working.