Murphy Oil

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Lithonia, GA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Murphy Oil in January 2009.

Interview Details – I did not have an interview (phone or in person) or drug test. To get in the system you have to pass the online application process, which was stupid "what's a seven letter word for dog" type stuff like that; if you don’t know the answer just open another tab copy and paste the question in Google and ...wahlah!!!! the answer (I guess that is the IQ/Intelligence test). Of course, with every job, they do a background check they do not tell you if passed that are not but I am sure you will know if they hire you. Because they are supposed to train you there is no skills test before (or after) you start. When I came in they needed me that bad so did the training on the computer in a day then took me another day to grasp how to work the register however it was a somewhat slow process because the manager is slow, he slowed me down telling me it would take 3 days to do the training on the computer but in actuality only took 1. Moreover, because he did not want me on the register just yet made me do "yard work" like trash pickup, stocking the cooler and cleaning the pumps and the bathroom while the others who were there longer worked the register. (the whole process a week; probation period then raise a month.)

Interview Question – Can you perform the duties of this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.
Negotiate especially if you know you are more competent than the manager.

North Richland Hills, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Murphy Oil in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had been applying at murphys (every one within 15 miles) for a year and a half before i finally got an interview. I got a call i don't know how long after the app, it might have been a few weeks. Interview was 2 days after the call. The interview took place outside by the gas pump. The store manager, and his boss were both present and interviewed me. They were 15 minutes late, i don't know if thats how they always conduct business, but things can happen so you never know. It was obvious they had already decided they wanted to hire me (i filled out online applcation and profile) because they did not ask me many questions. I just have a couple years experience so their standards aren't super high. There were none of those "why do you want to work here" type questions. The majority of the time they were explaining to me the nature of the work and how they hire from within for management position etc... they asked if i wanted part time or full time... then said they only hire part-time for cashier but i would be getting full time hours most the time. They asked where i was currently working, and when i could start working for them. I told them i would need to give my current employer two weeks notice *******They liked this******** this is something that made a good impression on them, that i would give notice an not just up and leave without warning leaving the employer high and dry. They told me they admired that.
They made a big deal about being able to come in on short notice to cover a shift and said that that was a priority in who they choose for the position. They also stressed that I would have to sell.... not like pitch stuff but the kind of selling like, if a customer is purchasing a bottle of water for $2 tell the customer they are on sale 2 for 3. that kind of selling. Or if they are buying one pack of cigaresstes tell them the special on 3 or 5 packs and how much money they will save by getting the special. It is MANADORY. They asked me if I could pass a drug test, then the store manager took my license for the background check and while he was away me and his boss, i guess the DM BSed for a little while, about the job and working. HE asked if there was anything on my background and I told him I had a theft conviction and blah blah... he said he wanted to hire me regardless and he respected that i told him up front i had a record, but that he didn't have the authority to approve a background check (someone even higher up or HR, i don't know). They really liked me. They told me they started cashiers out at 8.00 and hour but I negotiated it higher. I ACED IT! They said they would call me pending the higher ups decision about my background check, and that i would take the drug test then. I then thanked them for giving me the opportunity to interview. <<<<<<<That part is important and also makes a good impression.

That was it... both of them intervieing me outside, explainging the nature of the work, taking my license for background information. and that was it.

Also, I showed up to this interview dressed nice, like i was interviewing for a management position.

***Edit: I got the call a few days later from the store manager that interviewd me. He was apologizing because he couldn't hire me after all b/c their system rejected my background check. And he was very sorry because he and the GM both wanted to take a chance on me. In a situation like this, i call the higer up or someone in charge of final background approval and sell myelf to change their mind. But he was like, "the system this, the system that" "Once the system rejects background it deletes you out of the system, you are out of the system now" He wouldn't even give me contact info that would have given me a shot at changing someone's mind who can override the system. Gives me the impression they are so dependent on their system they won't make a human decsision to override the systems decision.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Yes. If you make a really good impression you may be able to negotiate. They gave the impression that the starting pay was set in stone. I already had them taken with me and I had a few years related experience and was able to use that to negotiate. If you have something to offer, you might get another quarter or two out of them as your starting pay.

Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in June 2008.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call three days later. Once I got there, I had to fill out a paper application. I was interviewed by the district manager. The interview was pretty basic and didn't take long. He asked me questions about my past work experience and performed a background check right there on the spot. He told me about the job and what was expected of me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation; I was told what I would start off making & that I would receive a raise after the probationary period.

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Murphy Oil in January 2014.

Interview Details – After submitting my application it took roughly four to six weeks to hear back from Murphy Oil due to it being Christmas time. I had two interviews with HR and the team that I would work within. These were conducted very professionally, the initial interview focused more on the technical aspects of the role and how my experience was relevant to the analyst position. The second interview was behavioral based and focused more on my personality and attributes. Murphy also did a background check and had me complete psychometric tests online. All in all the interview process took roughly two months before I was informed of the decision.

Interview Question – Cannot remember any specific questions, the HR manager that interviewed me was very professional and made me feel comfortable while interviewing.   View Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Senior Accountant
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Murphy Oil in January 2009.

Interview Details – Your basic BDI interviewing process, 3 interviews including the head hunter

Interview Question – I was asked when my birthday was. Why does that matter?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Technologist Interview

Technologist
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Murphy Oil.

Interview Details – Was pretty simple process as it was right after school.
Nice people to interview.
HR seems more friendly.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on the company's website. About a month later I received a phone call from the DM and had a quick phone interview. Then met with the Store Manager for an interview at the store. A couple days later I had a one on one interview with the DM. He offered me the job. I accepted and had to do a drug test and allow a background check. Those took about 3 days. Then I went in to complete video training, which lasted 2 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate my pay, but only got 50¢ extra. I'd say start high because they will counter it

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Murphy Oil in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 2 face to face interviews

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Murphy Oil in February 2010.

Interview Details – Went in for an Assistant manager position. Talked to the store manager first and then the DM just so happened to be there and he hired me on the spot (he cared more about checking out my butt than anything else). That day he ran a background check and had me do a drug test.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. I went in as an assistant and 2 weeks later was offered a store management position making 30,000

District Manager Interview

District Manager

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Murphy Oil in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a member of the recruiting staff. We had an over the phone interview immediately. They set up an interview with three other people for a few months later. I was then sent to a district to run it for six months, temporarily. After six months they then sent me for another interview with myself and two other people. I received the offer within the week.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One sided. I was offered a salary, then I counteroffered with another. I received one other offer and was not given another opportunity to negotiate. I was to accept or not get it. My advice to others would be to submit an offer to them, but be ready to accept or decline quickly.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Murphy Oil