Murphy Oil

Very Easy Interview

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter
El Dorado, AR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Murphy Oil in April 2013.

Interview Details – The organization (Murphy USA) has a contract recruiter who contacted me about the opening. Almost all correspondence was done via email until it was time to fly in to El Dorado AR for finals following a 1 hour 45 minute videoconference. The contract recruiter level set my expectations for the role, promotion expectations, compensation targets, and salary opportunity "for the right person," and her very positive cultural experiences with the organization. The subsequent videoconference interview with the Recruiting Manager was thorough and left me with the impression that this was an employer of choice. The Recruiting Manager had a high likeability factor via videoconference and projected a positive leadership style which made me motivated to fly in to meet the rest of the team.

Interview Question – The most unexpected interview question was actually an answer that I received when asking why the previous recruiter was terminated. Though I understand the reasons that individual was terminated, the operative behavior/correction strategy I heard about was an eye opening shocker. I include that comment paraphrase below from the Recruiting Manager:   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because the contract recruiter by phone clearly communicated the highpoint salary opportunity before I flew in. I was scheduled for a half day in person interview (each team member interview session was cut short because I sat in the lobby for one hour during what was to be the first scheduled interview.) Since my interview questions were not addressed in detail due to the allotted time running out due to the late start, I felt I needed to close the Recruiting Manager on having another session the next morning so that I could get my questions answered. In other words, I felt the need to close her on closing me. I was told just before flying out that the offer I could expect would be 6% less than what the contract recruiter indicated before flying in. Four days later, I received a formal written offer that was ANOTHER 6% less than what I was told to expect on the day I flew out. In other words, the offer I finally received was 11-15% LESS than what I was led to believe before investing five days of my life to fly down to discover Murphy USA. I have never seen such a bait and switch in any company I’ve ever worked for or interviewed with. I’m scratching my head: what changed over a one week period? I was told the compensation double downgrades were the decision of the HR Director. During the interviews, I heard about how establishing trust and credibility with the hiring managers was of paramount importance. Based on the final offer I received, I cannot help but wonder if the recruiting methodology Murphy USA wished for me to employ included promising candidates one number by phone, watching for their buying signals during in person meetings, serving up a lesser number for candidates to ruminate over during their flights home, and then delivering in writing a lesser number still at the point of formal offer. One of Murphy USA's published core values addresses "integrity-do the right thing." Another core value states "celebrate." I received what was in essence two pay cuts before I even accepted an offer. Since actions speak louder than words, the celebration I now enjoy is based on maintaining a level of professional integrity that includes NEVER doing to any candidate what Murphy USA did to this Senior Recruiter candidate who would have been responsible for attracting, hiring, and relocating professionals to their enterprise. Since the root word of "recruit" means "to bring new life," the flagship HR leadership at Murphy USA and other GlassDoor reviews demonstrated to me that "recruiting as if people mattered" is optional, and that "integrity" must have an alternative meaning within their four walls.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Murphy Oil

Worked for Murphy Oil? Contribute to the Community!