Murphy USA Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 17, 2014
24 interviews

2.0

District Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Murphy USA in March 2014.

Initial phone screen went well. Then video interview, which went well. Flew out to Arkansas. No offer made. Everyone was "very busy, very busy". Tons of behavioral interview questions like "Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond?", etc. No questions related to actual job you would be doing or candidate experience. Told to dress professional, wore a suit, but neither interviewer was dressed professionally, no suit or tie.

Cashier Interview

Short and sweet few words spoke hired on the spot no money no time no details just I want a job and told start the next day easy to what u have to go thru now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moultrie, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moultrie, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Murphy USA in June 2014.

Applied online, took a little over an hour to complete. Got a call the next morning for an interview. Went in and had to wait for the manager. Interview was conducted outside the back of store. Asked me to tell her about myself, did I have sales experience, where I had worked before. Explained the policy on tobacco and alcohol sales. Told me the pay and incentives for selling merchandise. Told me she was interested and I accepted. Then I was told to fill out pre-employment screening (background check) and would get a follow up email for my drug test instructions. After drug test, filled out paperwork and started training.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, take it or leave it

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murphy USA.

Was interviewed at local restaurant near store location. Was interviewed by 2 District Managers and 1 DMIT. Pretty straight forward interview with no surprise questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions if you know your stuff. Why do you want to work for Murphy USA?   Answer Question
    Was offered an amount and was able to get a small increase over what was offered.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Murphy USA in December 2010.

Got phone call for interview got there 10 min early and manager arrived 30 min after our scheduled time. asked rediculous questions like can u count. can u lift a case of drinks alone. Then had me to come back and get form to go for drug test then had to go back a 3rd time to submit for background check then had to go back and finalize all my new hire paperwork

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ocean Springs, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Murphy USA in December 2013.

I was called the same day I submitted my application, for an interview the next morning. My interview was conducted by an assistant manager in training, who I haven't seen since (he works at a store nearly 6 hours away.) Interviewer asked run-of-the-mill questions, like, "Why do you want to work at Murphy USA?" and, "What are the qualities that make you an ideal candidate?" I hadn't had a job interview in 10 years, and there wasn't anything I wasn't prepared for.

The assistant manager also took the opportunity to tell me a little about Murphy Oil, Murphy USA, and Murphy Express stores. He gave a general description of job duties.

At the end of the interview, I was asked to come back the next morning to pick up paperwork for a drug test. Three days later, I got paperwork that said, "Congratulations on your offer of employment with Murphy USA." it wasn't until later that evening that a manager called to give details.

For the hiring process, after your drug test comes back clean, you will need to fill out paperwork (2 hours, on your own time) online and then meet with the manager to fill out more paperwork at the store (1 hour, also on your own time.) If you don't have it, you will probably need to get your Seller/Server certificate, which is an online course that takes 3-4 hours (again, on your own time.)

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murphy USA.

Apply online, phone interview, in person interview, drug screen and background check. Easy interview, time consuming waiting for results of drug screen (drug screening location doesn't process specimens right away so sometimes results take awhile to get back to store, all other interview process took a day, 2 weeks waiting for drug screen results)

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever stolen from your employer? What's the most complicated project you have ever worked on? Do you consider yourself more passive or more assertive? What do you think cashier duties at a gas station entail?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, take hourly pay offer or don't take job

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atascocita, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atascocita, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Murphy USA.

It was so easy and loving.

Interview Questions
    It was so good got a raise after one month.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alpena, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpena, MI

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murphy USA in November 2009.

I was an internal promotion and was initially interviewed by the Certified Training Manager of the District. The second interview was done with the District Manager and the Certified Training Manager. It was a rather laid back interview due to prior knowledge of one another through years of working together.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any really difficult or unexpected questions for me due to familiarity with the company.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Murphy USA.

they dint ask much, just asked what time i am available to work.

$9 per hour starting

Worked for Murphy USA? Contribute to the Community!