Mutual Mobile

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.1

QA Engineer Interview

Questions were more situational and not many technical questions. Was asked what the key difference is testing on iOS vs. testing on Android. The phone interview lasted roughly 45 minutes. Was pretty straight forward and you get a good feel of what the QA team is like and how they operate.

Not Specified Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mutual Mobile.

I had been told to avoid this company by clients and past employees, though more recently I heard that they had a few smart additions to the team. I accepted the request for an interview with an open mind. The initial steps seemed organized, but it deteriorated after that. My feedback from the interview process mirrors what employers wrote in their reviews. It seemed like a very immature organization with more effort spent on achieving a young, hip, and hyped-up environment than achieving business goals. I didn't get the impression that anyone there had any management or business development skills. It isn't a work environment for anyone who is looking for a serious career.

Interview Questions
    • Their interview questions were really unmemorable. The questions I asked them was likely harder for them to answer than any technical question would have been.   Answer Question

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mutual Mobile in January 2014.

Hiring process consisted of screening with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager and an onsite interview.

The onsite interview was about 4 hours or so, interviewing with a total of 6 employees, including the hiring manager.

Spent most of my time listening to people talk about the company, and their current build process. Also found out the IT department has been reorganized multiple times in just a few months.

Interview Questions
    • Developers push their code to Bamboo and the builds are done via a Mac Mini server farm. For whatever reason sometimes the builds fail, and only complete when manually handled. Why? What would cause this?   Answer Question

Iteration Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mutual Mobile in July 2013.

Had two phone and three 1 hour long onsite interviews. The gap between each interview was 1 week+. The interview questions were as I expected but there was no follow up after each interview. I had to ping the HR to find out about the next round.

Senior QA Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mutual Mobile in May 2013.

Had first round with some QA engineer. Generally basic questions on project and about how to handle situations. After painful wait for 1 week and sending mail to recruiting manager .Got second round with 3 chinese guys.Again they asked me about project details and put some on the spot situational questions. After 2 days no offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • Your answer should fit to their requirement, even if you answer exceedingly well they wont consider you.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

This was a long three hour interview. First hour I met with the director of QA and a lead. Second hour I met with two leads and third hour I met with two more leads. There were a couple of programming questions, but they were fairly easy (although I felt the interviewers were not strong coders). The questions ranged from the typical interview questions (such as what would you do in this scenario or that scenario) to some time management quizzes. Sample questions: "Take a look at this app on my phone. Look at it for a minute. Now tell me how you would QA it." "How would you QA this pen" "How would you QA this sample scenario".
    Overall, it was frustrating at times but I made it through. Keep your cool. Answer with confidence.

Interview Questions
    • They try to give you trick questions. There was a time management 'puzzle' with a couple of solutions. Once you answered those, they changed it up on you to an impossible scenario. Instead of saying, "I don't know" you should answer with "I would ask for help"   Answer Question

The pay and benefits leave a lot to be desired. But the company environment seemed very fun.

PM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mutual Mobile in March 2013.

haphazard. One of the interviewers didn't even show up, no apology, no nothing; then when I did see him; he was wearing all black, a black silk shirt, a fedora, gold chain; a sad sad representation of the firm;

simple; they don't pay enough anyway; so it was easy

Web Developer Interview

I applied for a position and about after 2 weeks I received an email requesting for a phon interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mutual Mobile in October 2012.

Two groups of people interviewed me, asked mostly the same questions. Some of the questions they asked I told them I did not have enough knowledge of that area, but they still asked me questions about it.

When it came around for me to ask my questions, I was cut off quite frequently before I could finish my questions.

The whole experience was very unprofessional. It took a whole month from the time I got called into an interview, to find out I didn't get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mutual Mobile in October 2012.

So I got an e-mail about a week after applying for the job requesting a phone interview. I spoke with the director of their QA team for about an hour. Asked several questions about my testing experience and background. She also asked me to provide as many test cases as I could for a phone app. She then told me I would be considered for the entry level QA position which I was ok with. Overall I felt the conversation went good. She then said she wanted to bring me in for a in-person interview and that a recruiter would contact me to schedule it.

I was contacted the next day to set it up, which a couple of time slots were offered, which I picked one. I was then contacted the day before my interview was supposed to happen and said due to the team's schedule it needed to be rescheduled, which I agreed to the new proposed time.

I show up for the interview which I met with 2 pairs of people. First pair included the person I spoke to on the phone with and asked me different questions about my testing methodology and how I would help improve testing there. They also did a exercise where they allowed me to look at a mock app for about 3 minutes then had 10 minutes to write as many test cases as I could on the whiteboard. When it came time for me to ask questions, it felt very rushed as they started getting their things together when I was talking and was given one-two word responses to each of my questions. The second set of people I met with asked very similar questions and also had a testing exercise as well that involved a mouse. This one felt a lot shorter then the first, but did provide a little more detail on the questions I asked though. I overall felt like the interviews went pretty well.

After it was all said and done, the recruiter told me that I would hear back about 'next steps' within the next few days. I received an e-mail later that day from a completely different recruiter than the one I was working with through the process with a very generic decline response. I responded and asked if I could get some feedback regarding the interviews, and the only response I got was that 'They were not hiring for the entry level QA position anymore' which felt like there was some communication break between the recruiter and QA director as you typically don't bring people in for an interview for positions that you are not hiring for, or they just wanted to avoid a difficult response.

Interview Questions
    • Roleplay Exercise: Pretend that the 2 interviewers are the product manager and designer and they came to you with this mouse and asked you to write a test plan for it. Tell them what you would ask them to come up with a test plan and give them some example checks you would include in it.   Answer Question