Mutual of America Interview Questions & Reviews

3.4

Senior Internet Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Mutual of America in May 2014.

I got an initial call from a recruiter after he found my resume online. Then, an interview was scheduled a week later.

I was interviewed by three Project Leaders that asked me behavioral and technical questions. Despite of the fact they are the worst interviewers I’ve ever come across, the interview itself it is an ordinary one. For the technical questions, their approach is to use textbook questions. Nothing than I was not expecting.

Interview Questions
    • What is MVC? Explain View, Controller and Model.
      Explain the Routing subsystem.
      What type of ActionFilter are available in ASP.NET MVC
      What is abstract class?
      Difference between overloading and overriding
      Explain Normalization and Denormalization
      Give example of many-to-many relationship
      What is the three main components in WCF?
        Answer Question

Associate Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Mutual of America in July 2009.

Pretty generic. Two interviews with the local manager with one follow up with the regional manager. Typical questions that they found in a book on interviewing. It was actually pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • None specifically. I know that their big concern is that you believe in the company and think that it is the greatest place on earth to work.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. Each position has a set salary

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Mutual of America in October 2011.

Manager in charge does nothing but interview. This is the SECOND time I have met with her for the same job in less than a year and a half. The agency that sent me there finally admitted that is what she is interested in.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mutual of America in September 2007.

Consisted first of phone interview with recruiter detailing the position as well as my background i.e. fit, etc. Detailed background information I volunteered was passed on directly to interviewer. First interview will either lead to no offer or second interview. Second interview with other employees you would be working with asking detailed questions. Third interview with regional manager.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done in your past that translates to success in the current position   Answer Question
    • Are you ready to make this position a career   Answer Question

Participant Account Representative Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Mutual of America in September 2009.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter for the position. After a series of phone contacts, which included a brief and general phone interview, a face to face interview was scheduled. I initially was met by the office secretary and given a paper application form to complete, which I thought was odd due to the fact that I had forwarded my resume and the recruiter had all pertinent information. The conclusion I came up with is that they were checking to see if my answers on the application matched my resume for continuity. The secretary will engage you during this process which I have later found out is another portion of the interview process, as he/she will relay your personality and demeanor to the hiring manager. Almost sneaky if you ask me, but effective. I met the regional vice president and had an interview that lasted around 1 1/2 hours. It was not a high pressure type of interview, more of an interview that is really trying to get to know you and the type of person you are. The standard questions apply here in the interview world. Nothing that would catch you off guard. I was contacted a week later for a second interview at the same location, this time with members of the staff, almost a meet and greet. This was very informal and I believe it was to get a feel of the type of person I am. I do not think this is typical of most of the locations, so your experiences may vary. Once again I sat down with the regional vice president, who is in charge of the office and an assigned territory. We went over more 'serious' types of questions relating to sales and client generation. This second interview was shorter and lasted around 30 minutes. After another week, I was once again contacted by the recruiter to inform me that I would be meeting with the executive vice president. The EVP is in charge of one of 4 areas: West, Central, South and East that usually accompanies 8-10 regional offices. This was to be the final process before determining if I was to be selected. I have come to learn that once you arrive at this stage, you have a 95% likelihood of getting hired, barring any unseen circumstances or you putting your foot in your mouth during this interview. It was a very short interview, around 10-15 minutes. Almost an informational meeting describing my responsibilities and duties and what is to be expected of me. After that meeting I waited around 3 days before being contacted by the recruiter that I have been offered the position. I was sent a letter of intent that had an offer extension and my pay grade. I contacted the recruiter to accept and was told to await further instructions. I was contacted 3 days later to inform me that I would need to take a drug test that same day and that a background check would commence. Once those clear, I would be contacted if I passed. I waited around 1 week before being informed that I had cleared all tests and would be able to start. I opted to inform them that I would be able to start in two weeks time as I was currently working and wanted to give proper notice. During this process there was almost a disconnect in the fact that you felt like you were being left in the dark for a period of time. Might have been my recruiter, but I have heard of similar experiences with other employees. This interview process is very standardized across the company.

Interview Questions
    • Who has been the most influential person in your life and why?   View Answer
    This topic came up during my second interview with the regional vice president. I began talking about compensation and salary and what the ranges were. I was informed that there was a zero negotiation policy and that they would not entertain any counter offers. The salary rate is very structured, take it or leave it. I have successfully negotiated my previous 3 positions for a significant amount of money (avg of 20% over initial offer) using various techniques I have learned and studied. The look and tone of his voice informed me he was serious and I dropped the matter. Knowing what I do now, I know there is an approximate amount of 5% available for negotiation. It is up to you how hard you would like to press for this additional monies, but understand it is frowned upon and could lead to your dismissal in the interview process. If this is one of many strong offers I would say proceed with the negotiation, if this is your best prospect, I would not try. The consequences outweigh the small upside.

Group Consultant Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mutual of America in January 2008.

The initial interview was painless. It was done with the recruiter that selected you for the position, and you were referred over to the Regional Vice President. At the point, the Regional establishes the next stages of the process.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me a retirement plan product that fits this type of organization?   View Answer
    • If a C-level executive tells you he will terminate their service contract due to lack of attention and misrepresentation of services, "what will you do"?   View Answer
    Salary negotiation is limited at the organization. They are very structured, and they probably assessed what they will pay you!

Service Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Mutual of America in May 2009.

Received initial call from recruiter, interviewed with Regional Manager then with Senior Management. Very repetitive process with multiple interviews with the same people discussing the same things.

Interview Questions
    • I was given brochures during one interview, then asked to write a paper about the content during the next one.   Answer Question

Worked for Mutual of America? Contribute to the Community!