MySpace

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews

Senior Software Developer Interview

Beverly Hills, CA

I interviewed at MySpace in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through a recruiter who were quick to set up the phone screen.
Phone screen was about an hour long. I was asked questions about basic java concepts, multithreading, design patterns, hibernate etc. Overall the interview went all.

Next I was called for an in person round, however it was just a coding exercise test conducted onsite. I was given a problem and laptop and was asked to code the solution in about 2-3hrs.

The office building looked awesome, however the place looked very deserted, not sure if it's because not a lot of people work there anymore or because everyone decided to take off at the same time.

Interview Question – Mutex vs Semaphone, Multithreading, Transactions in spring, hibernate configurations, design pattern - builder, factory, abstract factory, TCP vs UDP, coding exercise on reading csv and xml and printing some data   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at MySpace

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly informal, as it seemed to be somewhere in between a tour and an interview. As this was a fairly long time ago, I can't remember any specific questions that I was asked. I can say that there weren't any questions that hit me off guard, as they were simple questions with the intent to get to know the applicant.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

MySpace USA Tech Ops Division Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at MySpace in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted via phone on a Friday by a MySpace recruiter in California who had seen my resume posted on Monster.com. He briefly confirmed some of my background & experience, said he'd e-mail me info about a job opening in my state, and indicated a time when he'd call me back on Monday. I never received an e-mail from him, but was able to find the job posted on-line. He called at the appointed time and mentioned that his 'e-mail had been down' when I pointed out that I had not received any information from him.

The recruiter was congenial, but did not seem to be very professional in either his manner of speaking or his follow-through skills. After asking me to elaborate on my past experience a bit, he said he'd call me back at a particular date & time to schedule an interview. When that day passed without a call from him, I went ahead and applied on-line for the job. I phoned the recruiter and left a voice message indicating that I was still very interested in the job and had applied on line via Monster. I did not hear back from him. (In fact - I was later able to confim that by the end of the next month, he no longer worked for MySpace.)

Either as a result of my on-line application or the phone exchange with the recruiter, within a week or so I did receive an e-mail from a Talent Acquisition Coordinator from the Fox Entertainment Group in Beverley Hills (The parent company of MySpace). She was very cordial and within a couple days of back & forth e-mail exchanges we were able to set up a phone interview for the following week.

The phone interview was actually conducted by the off-site first-line manager who had posted the job, rather than HR, Talent Acquisition, or local management. He spent the majority of the 40 minute phone call describing his brief *3 week tenure* with the Company in his state and his visions for what the new position would accomplish in my location. It was NOT a traditional interview, and he really didn't even ask any questions beyond the implied "are you interested in this position?" I actually had to look for ways to jump into the conversation with brief examples from my past experiences that agreed with his philosophies and supported his goals.

Throughout the phone "interview" he spoke almost as if he had already decided to hire me. He explained how busy he was, said he hoped he'd be able to travel to my state within a few weeks for an in-person meeting, and closed by saying he'd get back to me soon.

When I sent an e-mail to the Talent Acquisition Coordinator, thanking her for setting up the interview and asking for the mailing address of the man I had interviewed with (so I could send him a Thank-you note) she replied back that I could mail something to HER and that she would see to it that it got to him. I sent a the note addressed to her, with a sealed envelope inside addressed to the interviewer.

It's now been just over a month since the phone interview, and I've not heard anything. Last week, I sent a short friendly e-mail, inquiring about their plans for the position --- but there's been no response. It's possible that the manager's been too busy in his own location to worry about the one near me, or perhaps the idea of creating a new position was shelved... or maybe they've simply found a better candidate than me.

If I don't hear back by the end of this week, I'll call and see what I can find out. The wort thing they can say is "No", right?

Interview Question – The entire concept of the phone interview was unexpected because there weren't any questions!   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MySpace in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interviews, if you can name them interviews, were the most conversational I ever encountered. Very little was asked about 'how would you build product x'. Most emphasis was put on who you are as a person and how you would fit into the MySpace culture. One interviewer turned the whole interview around and made it a full 45 mins of 'what do you want to know about MySpace' session. Now that was kinda scary.

Interview Question – What do you want to know about MySpace?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was not competitive

Engineering Manager Interview

Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MySpace in April 2009.

Interview Details – Nice process. Called and not too difficult. Easy discussion. Good review of my skills. Nice recruiter, and easy going conversation.

Interview Question – Would I mind moving to California. That was a definite "yes".   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy. Offer was great. Sign on moving bonus was great. No problems. Nice people. Still friends with them.

Data Warehouse Architect Interview

Beverly Hills, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MySpace in April 2009.

Interview Details – The process started with a phone screen, where in one of the manager asked the same question many times. It was just weird. And some of the questions were absolutely irrelevant to the job or even this domain.

Then I was called in for the face2face. The same person ( who spoke on the phone asking the same question ) asked the same question again ? Even more weird was the question ( often repeated ) as what I'd do the first day, in detail ?

Then these guys live in stone age - they gave a question paper for a written test ( they called "tech evaluation" ). Some of the questions had typo's ( they acknowledged that after in the group discussion as "oh yeah you're right, its there... " )

Then one senior architect interviewed and he was great in his 1:1. Then it followed with a "panel interview". The written test I had given, literally as torn apart into pages/sheets and the panel, in front of me started to go thro' those answer - marking x ( for wrong ), ? ( questions ) and ok ( for correct ) answers :-) Remember those good old school days ??

Then, they started to 'play god' by asking random questions and showing attitude. The sr. architect had sarcastic smile, comments and was downright rude. The clueless manager ( who would repeat the questions ) didn't get any of what I was saying and went on and on and on...

Here are some hilights...
1. They marked and commented that one of my answers were wrong on MySQL - Turned out my answer was correct.
2. To a solution I proposed using Oracle, the sr. architect said - oh Oracle, ok why don't we shut down our systems and db flavor and use this as I ( candidate ) proposed it
3. To a question I passed I don't know, one person remarked - you said you don't know, did you get any ideas now ( after a while ) and can you think at all ?
...
...

This is fox/MySpace for you gentleman.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I can't stand such idiots, who doesn't know to conduct interview and play god.

Visual Designer Interview

Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online and interviewed at MySpace.

Interview Details – The whole process was fairly standard. Phone interview. In-person interview with a designer and person from product team. I crush the interview, my work was by far better than anything I've seen in Myspace to date. Ultimately I was led on by the recruiter and after several follow-up emails she didn't even have the decency to tell me it was no. What a joke and highly insulting.

The offices seemed cool, great location but abandoned. Like a company that is loosing millions of dollars a year.

Interview Question – They told me Myspace is totally changing the direction of the company, vision and product but couldn't give me any details, at all. And with that they tried to ask me how I would redesign Myspace by looking at the current (horrible) site. I was interviewing for Visual Designer not Creative Director.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Beverly Hills, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MySpace in May 2008.

Interview Details – This company is totally wrecked - I had 4 great interviews and was actually excited about the position. Weeks of excuses ("I'm trying to get ahold of the hiring manager", "So and so is on vacation", "We are waiting to hear from your references") filled a void of real information. I was jerked around on job title, who the position reports to, salary that went from (slightly) above average to well below. Only after hearing that I had received an offer from another company did someone take their head out of the sand and finally commit to making me an offer.

Interview Question – How would you help MySpace overcome the Facebook challenge?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Simply, they jerked me around and did not make an offer in time. I did not feel valued by the organization or the people I interviewed with. It left a very sour, although poignant, taste in my mouth.

Director Interview

Director
Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MySpace in January 2009.

Interview Details – It was a one-week process, as they were in a high-growth phase and needed bodies quickly. There was one initial interview with the hiring manager, then two follow-up interviews with other staff members. Questions were straightforward -- no curveballs. Cultural fit and passion for the product seemed to be the top priority.

Interview Question – Really none to speak of. I was asked what 1-2 things I would do to improve MySpace, which was easy to answer at the time because the site was still popular/growing, so I had tons of ideas. But if someone were asked that question now... yikes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quick, straightforward. I think it was two phone calls over two days. The offer wasn't anything to write home about, but the site was so popular at the time that they had all the leverage. Didn't get them to budge much.

SDE(Database) Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MySpace in September 2009.

Interview Details – Recruiter initialized phone screening, and then scheduled a phone interview. One week later, phone interview, 100% technical questions, last for an hour + .

A week later, got phone from recruiter, on site interview settled. half day on site interview met 3 people with various different technical questions...

Interview Questions

• algorithms about heap sort, non recursive search tree algorithms etc.   Answer Question
  • SQL qusetions- algorithms to create partitioning tables, methods to delete millions of rows in a very large table with billions of rows in busy OLTP system   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at MySpace

Worked for MySpace? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MySpace interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by MySpace employees and interview candidates.