MySpace

www.myspace.com

MySpace Interview Questions

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at MySpace in January 2009.

It was a one-week process, as they were in a high-growth phase and needed bodies quickly. There was one initial interview with the hiring manager, then two follow-up interviews with other staff members. Questions were straightforward -- no curveballs. Cultural fit and passion for the product seemed to be the top priority.

Interview Questions
    • Really none to speak of. I was asked what 1-2 things I would do to improve MySpace, which was easy to answer at the time because the site was still popular/growing, so I had tons of ideas. But if someone were asked that question now... yikes.   Answer Question
    Quick, straightforward. I think it was two phone calls over two days. The offer wasn't anything to write home about, but the site was so popular at the time that they had all the leverage. Didn't get them to budge much.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MySpace in January 2009.

The interviews, if you can name them interviews, were the most conversational I ever encountered. Very little was asked about 'how would you build product x'. Most emphasis was put on who you are as a person and how you would fit into the MySpace culture. One interviewer turned the whole interview around and made it a full 45 mins of 'what do you want to know about MySpace' session. Now that was kinda scary.

Offer was not competitive

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MySpace in October 2008.

I had one phone interview, and one three hour in person interview. This was the most organized technical interview I have ever been on. The architect had three exercises for me to do. A batching exercise, a partition exercise, and something about service broker. The hiring process was fast, so expect a call within a few days after the interview if things went well.

Interview Questions
    • I was not expecting to be asked about horizontal partitioning. They deal with quite a bit of data over there.   Answer Question
    Very straightforward. The offer was good, and I took it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MySpace in June 2008.

4 inperson interviews. All technical

pretty easy

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MySpace in May 2008.

This company is totally wrecked - I had 4 great interviews and was actually excited about the position. Weeks of excuses ("I'm trying to get ahold of the hiring manager", "So and so is on vacation", "We are waiting to hear from your references") filled a void of real information. I was jerked around on job title, who the position reports to, salary that went from (slightly) above average to well below. Only after hearing that I had received an offer from another company did someone take their head out of the sand and finally commit to making me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help MySpace overcome the Facebook challenge?   Answer Question

Simply, they jerked me around and did not make an offer in time. I did not feel valued by the organization or the people I interviewed with. It left a very sour, although poignant, taste in my mouth.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at MySpace in January 2007.

position found via LinkedIn, sheduled and conducted a phone interview dering lunch break, panel of 2 project managers, they had a friendly attitude with the standard interview questioins. they answered questions about the company culture and made it sound like a hard work but frendly environment.

MySpace USA Tech Ops Division Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MySpace in September 2010.

I was contacted via phone on a Friday by a MySpace recruiter in California who had seen my resume posted on Monster.com. He briefly confirmed some of my background & experience, said he'd e-mail me info about a job opening in my state, and indicated a time when he'd call me back on Monday. I never received an e-mail from him, but was able to find the job posted on-line. He called at the appointed time and mentioned that his 'e-mail had been down' when I pointed out that I had not received any information from him.

The recruiter was congenial, but did not seem to be very professional in either his manner of speaking or his follow-through skills. After asking me to elaborate on my past experience a bit, he said he'd call me back at a particular date & time to schedule an interview. When that day passed without a call from him, I went ahead and applied on-line for the job. I phoned the recruiter and left a voice message indicating that I was still very interested in the job and had applied on line via Monster. I did not hear back from him. (In fact - I was later able to confim that by the end of the next month, he no longer worked for MySpace.)

Either as a result of my on-line application or the phone exchange with the recruiter, within a week or so I did receive an e-mail from a Talent Acquisition Coordinator from the Fox Entertainment Group in Beverley Hills (The parent company of MySpace). She was very cordial and within a couple days of back & forth e-mail exchanges we were able to set up a phone interview for the following week.

The phone interview was actually conducted by the off-site first-line manager who had posted the job, rather than HR, Talent Acquisition, or local management. He spent the majority of the 40 minute phone call describing his brief *3 week tenure* with the Company in his state and his visions for what the new position would accomplish in my location. It was NOT a traditional interview, and he really didn't even ask any questions beyond the implied "are you interested in this position?" I actually had to look for ways to jump into the conversation with brief examples from my past experiences that agreed with his philosophies and supported his goals.

Throughout the phone "interview" he spoke almost as if he had already decided to hire me. He explained how busy he was, said he hoped he'd be able to travel to my state within a few weeks for an in-person meeting, and closed by saying he'd get back to me soon.

When I sent an e-mail to the Talent Acquisition Coordinator, thanking her for setting up the interview and asking for the mailing address of the man I had interviewed with (so I could send him a Thank-you note) she replied back that I could mail something to HER and that she would see to it that it got to him. I sent a the note addressed to her, with a sealed envelope inside addressed to the interviewer.

It's now been just over a month since the phone interview, and I've not heard anything. Last week, I sent a short friendly e-mail, inquiring about their plans for the position --- but there's been no response. It's possible that the manager's been too busy in his own location to worry about the one near me, or perhaps the idea of creating a new position was shelved... or maybe they've simply found a better candidate than me.

If I don't hear back by the end of this week, I'll call and see what I can find out. The wort thing they can say is "No", right?

Interview Questions
    • The entire concept of the phone interview was unexpected because there weren't any questions!   Answer Question

SDE(Database) Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MySpace in September 2009.

Recruiter initialized phone screening, and then scheduled a phone interview. One week later, phone interview, 100% technical questions, last for an hour + .

A week later, got phone from recruiter, on site interview settled. half day on site interview met 3 people with various different technical questions...

Interview Questions
    • algorithms about heap sort, non recursive search tree algorithms etc.   Answer Question
    • SQL qusetions- algorithms to create partitioning tables, methods to delete millions of rows in a very large table with billions of rows in busy OLTP system   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at MySpace in July 2008.

My friend referred me, so it is relatively simple for me because the position does match my background quite well. I was given a simple programming language question, which at first I tried to give a complicated solution but realized after 10 seconds the question was meant to have a simple answer. On site it is a bit challenging, but I did ok.

Interview Questions
    Not much room to negotiate, because my starting salary when I first got the job is too low.

Analytics Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MySpace in April 2008.

They did tech test and exam. And asked me to write and present my answer on the board. It is a little nervous as the panel sitting there watching you do things. One interviewer said he tried to put some pressure on me. But luckily there is a might-be touch question if you don't ever know, that I have experienced during my SQL training. So I got passed easily. And they told me I did very well.

The recruiter did it.