MySpace

1 Interview Review

1.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

MySpace USA Tech Ops Division Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MySpace in September 2010.

I was contacted via phone on a Friday by a MySpace recruiter in California who had seen my resume posted on Monster.com. He briefly confirmed some of my background & experience, said he'd e-mail me info about a job opening in my state, and indicated a time when he'd call me back on Monday. I never received an e-mail from him, but was able to find the job posted on-line. He called at the appointed time and mentioned that his 'e-mail had been down' when I pointed out that I had not received any information from him.

The recruiter was congenial, but did not seem to be very professional in either his manner of speaking or his follow-through skills. After asking me to elaborate on my past experience a bit, he said he'd call me back at a particular date & time to schedule an interview. When that day passed without a call from him, I went ahead and applied on-line for the job. I phoned the recruiter and left a voice message indicating that I was still very interested in the job and had applied on line via Monster. I did not hear back from him. (In fact - I was later able to confim that by the end of the next month, he no longer worked for MySpace.)

Either as a result of my on-line application or the phone exchange with the recruiter, within a week or so I did receive an e-mail from a Talent Acquisition Coordinator from the Fox Entertainment Group in Beverley Hills (The parent company of MySpace). She was very cordial and within a couple days of back & forth e-mail exchanges we were able to set up a phone interview for the following week.

The phone interview was actually conducted by the off-site first-line manager who had posted the job, rather than HR, Talent Acquisition, or local management. He spent the majority of the 40 minute phone call describing his brief *3 week tenure* with the Company in his state and his visions for what the new position would accomplish in my location. It was NOT a traditional interview, and he really didn't even ask any questions beyond the implied "are you interested in this position?" I actually had to look for ways to jump into the conversation with brief examples from my past experiences that agreed with his philosophies and supported his goals.

Throughout the phone "interview" he spoke almost as if he had already decided to hire me. He explained how busy he was, said he hoped he'd be able to travel to my state within a few weeks for an in-person meeting, and closed by saying he'd get back to me soon.

When I sent an e-mail to the Talent Acquisition Coordinator, thanking her for setting up the interview and asking for the mailing address of the man I had interviewed with (so I could send him a Thank-you note) she replied back that I could mail something to HER and that she would see to it that it got to him. I sent a the note addressed to her, with a sealed envelope inside addressed to the interviewer.

It's now been just over a month since the phone interview, and I've not heard anything. Last week, I sent a short friendly e-mail, inquiring about their plans for the position --- but there's been no response. It's possible that the manager's been too busy in his own location to worry about the one near me, or perhaps the idea of creating a new position was shelved... or maybe they've simply found a better candidate than me.

If I don't hear back by the end of this week, I'll call and see what I can find out. The wort thing they can say is "No", right?

Interview Questions
  • The entire concept of the phone interview was unexpected because there weren't any questions!   Answer Question