N2 Publishing Interview Questions

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at N2 Publishing

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at N2 Publishing in February 2015.

Before scheduling an interview, you're supposed to watch a video in which the CEO explains the company while walking around town. The most telling moment was when he looked at the camera, said, "You need to be able to live without an income for 3-5 months," and then walks away. Long pause.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand that this is a full-time commitment, it's 80% advertising sales, it's starting your own business, and there are no paid benefits?   View Answer

Area Sales Director Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at N2 Publishing.

I found this company on an online job board and sent my resume. I was contacted immediately via email and set up a phone interview. Their posting on the job board was quite vague so I was a little skeptical from the start. They sent me an email with some videos to learn about the company before the phone interview. I watched the vids and it seemed like it might be a good opportunity . Then during our conversation it was clear this was not the career opportunity I was looking for. Simply because The sales reps do not get paid salary.

Interview Questions
    • I barely made it through the first question. Once I realized this wasn't the opportunity I was looking for I thanked them for their time and hung up.   Answer Question

Area Director Interview

I initially submitted an online application and resume. Shortly thereafter, I received a email to set-up a phone interview. Had 1 phone interview with an HR person and then 3 phone interviews with a Sales Director. I also had to take a personality test online, to see how my personality type compared to some of their top Area Directors.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly easy to answer. Describe past work experience. Why do you want to work for us? Do you think you would excel in the job and if so, why? How do you think you would fit in with the company culture / team environment?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at N2 Publishing in November 2014.

This interview process is long and drawn out. The company seems great and the people I met in person were very welcoming but the phone interviews were long and the person I was communicating with seemed to just be speaking from a punchlist of questions every once in a while saying
    "did we hit on this topic yet in our phone conversations?". The only problem I found with this whole process is that you are expected to spend a couple of weeks with phone interviews and then set up travel to their headquarters in Chicago for training that you pay for and then I guess you could begin selling. It is a huge time commitment before you are even trained to see if all that time/money was worth it. I personally don't believe in paying myself for a business trip to a mandatory training class was for me. I was very intrigued with the company though and was sure I could have done very well for them.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult at all. Basic interview questions   Answer Question

Too much time without pay and then expected to pay for travel etc for mandatory training out of state.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at N2 Publishing in November 2014.

Long process but worth it. They are trying to weed out people who won't fit into their culture. 3 phone interviews. Online assesment. And then In person interview. Followed by offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Commission position.

Area Director Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at N2 Publishing.

What a long drawn out process....

Do the benefits sound amazing? Absolutely!
    Do I think I could of been phenomenal at this job? Absolutely!
    Did I really want to to work for n2 and already start making contacts? Absolutely!

Now, the interview process:

1. With a lady at their home office that wants to know about you, 15 minutes simple questions, tells you it's a great interview and then sets you up with a time and date to call the Regional Director
    2. You speak to the Regional Director and he keep explaining the same things, I know they are just trying to scare off the not-so-strong people and make sure this fit is right. Be prepared for repetition. Especially if you were pro-active like myself and researched thoroughly online and sat down with a local Area Director.
    3. They email you a online professional sales test to compare you to the top sales people in their business. Obviously I did well cause I got and email back, but lets be honest, these test mean nothing.
    4. He set up another date and time that he would call me. Meanwhile, let me enlighten you with the fact this has now been almost a month since I applied on LinkedIN.
    5. He calls, it's the same questions, the same reassuring. Even makes a comment that everyone says the same answers... Hey maybe I really am a organized logistical pro! Not everyone fakes their answers to get a job. Let me remind you... same questions. Then he mentioned he would call my references and after that if a further interview is needed he would contact me. So far his tone and phone presence has been uplifting and pleasant. Here's the very alarming switch of the button moment. I asked "how many more interviews are you thinking there will be?" Instant switch "_______name_____ lets just cut to the chase and do us both a favor and end this conversation this is not going to be a good fit." So, your employees are not allowed to ask questions? I think it is a very reasonable question as it's almost been a month of interviews. I proceeded to say "So you want to end the conversation because I asked a question and now all of a sudden I'm not a good fit but you were about to contact my references and go further??" He proceeded to tell me that "someone that would want to work at n2 would be willing to do 10 interviews." I then said "and I would love to do 10 interviews if you when I asked that question you told me 6 more." Very negative tone saying "We are going in circles" and that it's not a good fit and. Strange.....

Warning- They advertise for Area Director, which you probably know takes 3-5 months of ramp up period (no income).. then when you actually go through the interview process you will be asked to be an Associate Executive (gives you an opportunity to sell into others publications and make money) basically an apprentice. That's 60 days, where they are monitoring you before they allow you to go to ramp up.... So with this associate executive position, you could be looking at 7 months before you get that glorious paycheck.

Interview Questions
    • How many more interviews do you plan on having?   View Answer

Area Director Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at N2 Publishing.

Applied through LinkedIn for A.D. position in So. Cal. Got pre-screening call, answered few basic questions then was called by an appointment setter the next day. She gave me background information about N2, asked if I'd seen video and products online and set appointment with Sales Director in St. Louis. She wasn't able to answer most of my questions, but said the S.D. would do that. Two days later had first of three interviews with S.D.

1st Interview - Tell me about yourself and complete "personality test"
    2nd Interview - Tell me why you'd be a good fit
    3rd Interview - Tell me about a time when...and job offer, which I declined

Researched company heavily and although it was a tough decision ultimately I passed because 1) the negative reviews are hard to ignore especially when there are no tangibles present. No newsletter to flip through and touch for quality, no face to face meeting with anyone, no brick and mortar, etc. 2) someone posted that N2 over hires to compensate for people quitting and although that wasn't discussed I got that impression. S.D. said at least 2 people would be hired for my city but didn't give maximum number and was hesitant about discussing territory questions. Said only 50% of ADs hired actually get their publications to print. May be good fit for others, but too many variables for me.

BDC Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at N2 Publishing in August 2014.

I applied for the position via direct e-mail to the hiring director. I received a prompt reply with a time and date to interview via phone. After being interviewed with one other candidate via phone I was told I would be contacted within the next week with a result. I was contacted two days later to be informed I had been hired and would receive an email with the steps needed.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing too difficult or unexpected during the interview. It went well and I felt at ease during the whole conversation.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. I accepted the original offer.

Area Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at N2 Publishing in July 2014.

I was contacted via email to establish a mutual time and date for my first phone interview...pretty basic. Per the agreed upon date and time, I was contacted by a women from N2 Business Development who proceeded to ask me routine interview questions over a 25 minute period. The interview was successful and a follow-up interview was scheduled. The follow-up interview required that I contact the interviewer at an agreed upon time and date scheduled by Business Development. When I placed the call to the person conducting the second interview per the agreed upon time and date, there was no answer, only an answering machine. I placed the call a second time about 20 minutes later; again no answer. Not very professional! Opted not to pursue the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • In the first interview I was asked if I would mind not making any money for 4-6 months through the "ramp up" period. I was also asked how I felt about traveling to Chicago for a three day training seminar and incurring the cost of the hotel, food and transportation.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at N2 Publishing in March 2014.

I received my job offer in about 10 days after I had initially applied online. After an initial telephone screening interview, I had three more interviews with an Area Director in my general area. I thought three interviews was a little much. Certainly two would have been plenty, and I don't think we covered anything new on the final interview. If we did, it could have been incorporated into one of the previous interviews. I think perhaps my interviewer was being overly cautious, making sure she was hiring the right person who could both take on this job and be okay working without compensation for the first four to six months. I appreciated her honesty, especially how difficult it could be generating sales through cold calls.

Interview Questions
    • How would I describe my moral standards?   View Answer
    No negotiations, as pay is entirely performance based.