NAB

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.6

Scrum Master Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at NAB in November 2014.

I had directly applied online. Received a call within 2-3 days, First interview was on the phone for 10 min, was called for F2F, it went on for 1 hr, was standing full time, explaining the scrum development process and answering all the questions, the interview was with VP(hiring manager). He said that I did very well and wanted me to meet another person to whom I would be reporting to. I came for the 2nd F2F, that too went very well.I was shown the development area. I was told it is very promising and can expect a response by end of the week.

PHP Applications Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NAB.

I was brought in through a recruiter who was full-filling permenant direct hire positions for them, so I'm not sure how the process when applying online. However, I still had to fill out the online application to get my background check and such completed.

The initial phone screen was interesting. It was a quick 10 minute interview asking some simple comprehension questions about PHP and design concepts so I thought I failed, but I got a call a week or so later asking to complete a code sample. I completed that and it took about another 2 weeks but I asked to come in for an in-person interview.

The in-person interview lasted about an hour and involved me demonstrating my understanding of PHP, MySQL, what I use and why, how resourceful I am (where do I go to be informed to new solutions/releases/etc...). I was asked about the difference between a left and right join, and some questions about my code sample I submitted.

That same day I got a call back from the recruiter saying that they want to hire me. I accepted the same day (Thursday), filled out the paper work I needed and got my background check completed on Monday.

Overall the process was more waiting than anything but worth it in the end.

Interview Questions
    • The thing that threw me off during both interviews was that I was asked questions that I did not understand at first, but knew once they clarified. I had always developed just doing what felt right, not really knowing that there's a specific term for half the things I did. They were understanding of that which is good, but understanding more of the development terms like functional vs. procedural and different types of testing definitely would help.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, as I was happy with what they were offering. Along with yearly employee/performance reviews I feel being able to show what I'm worth is more beneficial in the long run.

PHP Applications Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at NAB.

Phone Interview then Onsite Interview. Phone interview is simple. In Onsite interview prepare for PHP, SQL. They will not reply to your email if you are not selected in the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at NAB.

Actually interviewed by someone who knew what he wanted, what company needed, this is NOT the Normal procedure (clueless HR person is usual interviewee) Too bad job actually turned into something completely different within a month of hire, assigned to clueless manager who didn't know what to do with actual talent that knew more than him.

Interview Questions
    • What actual languages, development environments you have used in past.   View Answer
    How much do you need? <replied> -- Ok.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NAB.

I applied online and got a response within 48 hours. It was first a friendly chat to schedule an interview with more relevant personnel, which was about a 20-30 minute phone interview the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have any difficulties in managing a group? How did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

User Experience/Information Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NAB in September 2013.

Interview was relatively brief and to the point. They spoke a good game, but I later learned they had no idea what UX really is. The environment is wide open (which has pros and cons), but it is extremely rigid. You can't eat in the workspace and can't take tags off the chairs.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: Which college course did you find the most interesting?   View Answer
    There was no real negotiation. I wanted to move on, so I ended up taking a $10,000 pay cut. I learned why after I arrived. They didn't really have any idea what UX was and how to value someone with the experience I brought to the table. I spent 1% of my time there doing anything that was truly UX-related and I took that upon myself (as any UX professional would). When I offered notes on my heuristic analysis, I was told it wouldn't be needed.

A company like this does not really need UX professionals and I would advise anyone interested in a UX role in this environment to STEER CLEAR COMPLETELY. It can be a decent environment for IT pros, but not for usability and UX pros. They'll have you working on BA or UI initiatives and will leave UX by the wayside.

Applicant Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NAB.

Tour of building, one interview with one person and 5 question.

IT Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at NAB in November 2012.

Phone interview and face to face. Inexperience of interviewers was very apparent. Very casual dress attire, the older the clothes the better. Total lack of professionalism. HR treats everyone as if they are minimum wage call center staff. Can't spell candidates names correctly or schedule interviews without errors. Background and credit check. No drug test.

Interview Questions
    Wasn't any; needed a paycheck so I took it.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NAB in June 2012.

I submitted my resume via email for a Customer Service position. It took approximately two weeks to hear back from a recruiter, but she was connecting me in regards to a Tech Support position. She called and we discussed what the position consisted of...I told her I was interested and we scheduled an interview.

The interview started off like any other, I met with the HR recruiter and we went over the companies history, the position in more detail, and the interview process. The HR recruiter took me on a tour of the office building. The building interior design was stunning! Very modern, relaxing, and comfortable. I felt like I made it to the big time, lol!

Back to earth, at the end of the tour she passed me off the to Tech Support supervisor and we conducted the along with another supervisor in a conference room. It was a very lax environment and that was great for me because I felt like I could be myself and not come off as rehearsed. The interview process lasted about 30 minutes or so and the supervisor walked me out while giving me feedback (which RARELY happens).

I heard back from the recruiter four days later saying I should hear back in a few days rather it be good or bad. I received a call on Thursday saying my background check came back good and I was offered & excepted the position.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

The process took a dayinterviewed at NAB in September 2010.

Called Recruiter (Deb Fonseca) who called me back. Let's put it this way. Horrible HR person. She asked me to give details about my resume and as soon as i began talking she began to intterrogate me about my resume, never given me a chance to explain why i left my former job and asking me questions such as " Let me get this straight, you left your former job because it doesn't pay well?" And then finishing it off with " Well taht doesn't make sense to me" WTH! From the get-go she immediately assumed that my former employer had fired me and asked me questions assuming that i was lying. Isn't the idea of a job interview for you to tell the recruiter about your skills and former experiences?? instead i felt like i was being interrogated and NO ONE should ever have to feel that way. Why should i automatically be removed from a job selection process because i left my former job because it did not pay well???

Advice to Managers: You do not want a HR person who makes job applicants feel like they are in a secluded FBI room for questioning.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave your former job?.... Hmmm. That doesn't make sense.   Answer Question