NASA Ames Research Center

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.5

Research Interview

informal internview where i was offered job on the spot, but i knew the interviewer coming in so it was kind of unorthodox in that sense. then i got to tour the campus and see the impressive things NASA has going on. There is a wind tunnel and a 3d printer the size of an airplane. they are actually working on designing how to 3d print an airplane.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center.

Presentation to the team and post presentation questions. It went smoothly. Most of the researchers had complimentary skills. The group was looking for someone with the exact instrumentation skills that I happened to have.

Interview Questions
    It was as a contractor. Mostly conducted ovr email.

Entry-Level Paralegal Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NASA Ames Research Center in June 2014.

Requires online submission of resume, unofficial transcript, letter of recommendation, and essay questions. No cover letter requested, although essay questions is an equivalent format to express individual character and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • Strengths/weaknesses. None of the questions were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Exchanged emails for a few months, then had an in-person interview with largely behavioral questions. Everyone involved seemed very nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to talk about past projects. Asked follow up questions. Really nothing serious.   Answer Question

Aerospace Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NASA Ames Research Center.

I applied using the One Stop Shopping Initiative which allows prospective interns and fellows to apply to multiple opportunities through the single application. There are several scholarships to apply for using the same base application. A couple weeks after the deadline, I received an email from my future mentor asking if I knew anything about Matlab or if I could at least learn. I told her I would figure it out before the summer started. Then, a couple weeks later I received my offer and began filling out all of the paperwork for my stipend, employment, etc. Basically, there is no interview process. You need showcase as much of yourself as you can through the activity descriptions and essays.

Interview Questions
    • An interview was not required for the position I was offered. Within the online application portal, the most difficult essay question was, "Please describe how an opportunity at NASA fits in with your interests. (limit to 250 words)."   View Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NASA Ames Research Center.

Same as any other postdoc interview

UARC Intern Interview

Replied to an email on our department's email listing. Called by a manager a few weeks later and we talked about my skills and past projects. Then, we talked about projects they were working on. Mostly general technical questions and some behavioral.

NASA Ames Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online – interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center in March 2013.

This interview was entirely based upon getting to know the personal habits, aspirations, and team-work qualities. The questions revolve largely around your ability to work in groups, if you enjoy working in groups, etc. If you truly love to be around people then this should go great! Play up leadership skills. Best to focus on the resume aspect to get an interview in the first place.

Interview Questions
    • "Why Space?" Not difficult technically, but a large question in scope...think really hard about your motivations for applying here.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NASA Ames Research Center in February 2013.

Most likely, the NASA principal investigator has already picked you and want to confirm that you and the PI are on the same page and that you are still interested in the position. You'll talk about the position and what it entails. For example, you might be working on a spacecraft design.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moffett Field, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moffett Field, CA

The hiring and interview process was very easy for me. The interview was conducted by 3 employees who were very good-natured and tried to make the situation as comfortable as possible. The interview consisted of about 10 open-ended questions which were easy to answer if you had experience in the job field. The hiring process took about a month from the time of the interview due to paperwork and how much time it takes to process a new employee.

Interview Questions
    There isn't much chance to negotiate. Jobs for contracting officers, etc. are in high demand. If you don't accept the first offer, there is a chance they will pass over you.