NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

Hour long interview, talked about resume, didn't focus too much on engineering experiences because I was only a sophomore in college at the time. asked a simple statics question to see my thinking process

Interview Questions

• Questions like, why did you participate in this activity? What did you do? etc.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

Applied online and was called about 2 weeks later. Spoke with an engineer for about 30 minutes about what the role and about me. All the questions were VERY high level, nothing technical at all was asked of me. I was then told I'd be put in contact with that engineer's boss later that day. About an hour later, when the second person called me he said that the first engineer liked what he heard and so the engineer's boss made an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Everything was very high level, I was asked to tell him about myself.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

It was done over the phone and lasted approximately 15 minutes. The phone interview was conducted by a group of people. Three people introduced themselves, but it was mainly one person interviewing while the others interjected occasionally.

Interview Questions

• If your supervisor sent you to clean out a closet with different appliances and boxes of instruction manuals what would you do?   1 Answer

Unknown Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for an interview one day. I applied for one thing but wasn't selected. However, my resume was interesting enough to land an interview for a position that they would not describe to me over the phone. All that I knew was that it had something to do with hardware, cabling, and equipment maintenance. I don't think a position exists and that this was just an open interview.

During the interview, everyone I spoke to (panel interview) was nice and very approachable. They described the job but never assigned a job title to the job description during the whole process. They also stressed the fact that the job might not even happen, or that it might be a couple of months before I heard back from them. They kind of rushed through everything because they had an emergency meeting that conflicted with my interview time allotment (90 minutes of interview time was cut down to 45 minutes).

At the end of the interview they drove me back to the visitor's center, dropped me off, and rushed off to their meeting. I was left with a mixed assessment of how I did. I know that I interviewed well and knocked all of their questions out of the park but I wasn't left with a comfortable feeling at the end. I sent a couple of thank you letters and left one voicemail with HR. It's been almost a month and I haven't received any sort of feedback at all.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to tell them about myself (professionally) and list my skills.   1 Answer

Early Career Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Submitted my resume through my school's career portal and got an interview on-campus. The first round interview was with 3 different directors and they were all pretty nice. However, I was told that I would be hearing back sometime in mid-December but I was left completely in the dark. Quite unprofessional. I couldn't even contact them because they don't have a recruiter.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

I first applied online and was called by a recruiter to set up an in-person interview. A few weeks later (a day before the interview!) I finally received the email from the recruiter where I need to go. I go to a university campus and have an in-person interview with two managers from JPL. They were extremely nice and open to conversation. After that I was told by the managers I would hear back from the recruiter. Like two months later (and like 15 failed attempts to get a hold of the recruiter) I finally got an email saying I did not move on. So go into the interview with an open mind and don't expect anything after it.

Senior Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview. In addition to the hiring manager, there were about 3-4 other people on the phone. The manager asked me about my current position and what duties I performed in the position. The others who are managed by the hiring manager asked more technical questions. I asked questions about the work they did and tried to get a sense of what the work environment was like. I did ask if they enjoyed working there and everyone said yes. I got the sense that there is good work/life balance, good teamwork and it is not a stressful environment. There seems to be a lot to learn.

I was invited to an in-person interview shortly after the phone interview. I met with the hiring manager and members of his team. This was my opportunity to ask as many questions about not only the work, but the work environment as well. There were no technical questions. This was mainly to see if I was a good fit for the position and team and if I would enjoy working there,

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I wanted to work for NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab. I answered because I thought it was a cool place with many interesting projects/missions. Who wouldn't want to work at NASA. Space exploration is fascinating.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in November 2014.

Interview

On campus interview. It took about an hour. First half hour was all about my resume questions and some very general questions like why JPL. After that, he asked me some thermal concept questions and let me design a thermal system and went through the system with him.

Student Interview

Interview

I was referred by someone within the company, and was shortly contacted by the hiring manager. There were a series of emails back and forth with the project manager, but no real interview. Everyone was very nice, and I had a choice on what project to work on.

Digital Electronics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The process took 5+ months. I applied online and after 1.5 months I was contacted by the group manager for a phone screen. She was very nice and asked me if I wanted to come on site for a personal interview. I accepted and about two weeks later I was flown out to Pasadena for on site interview. My interview consisted of 30 minuet one-on-one conversations with various members of the section and the group manager, with a 1 hour lunch break and a couple more interviews finished by interviews by section chief and deputy section chief. The questions were mainly personal like would your family want to move to southern cal and why do you want to work here augmented by questions regarding my resume. It never got more technical than can you give me more elaboration on this line or this project you mention in your resume. Everyone was really nice and I heard all the things you want to hear during the interview: when do you want to start, you would be a good fit for this position, I think you are very versatile and can do more than the job requires if need be and so on. I even had one of the interviewers tell me that he just wanted to see if I could come up with completed sentences. They made me feel like I had the job and that the interview was mostly for my benefit to see if I like the place and people. I felt very confident when I left the site and was done for the day. They told me they would let me know in two weeks and not to get discouraged. HR told me they would call me and let me know either way. Two weeks rolled by and nothing. I emailed the group manager and she told me again in two weeks, and again two weeks rolled by nothing. So I decided to be patient. FOUR months later I contacted HR and they told me I was still being considered and I was still a candidate. A month after that I contacted the manager and HR and a week later they told me they had chosen someone else and thanks for my interest in JPL! If I had not contacted them I would still be waiting for an answer. I found the experience frustrating and unprofessional. Had they told me from the beginning that if I don't hear from them in a couple of months just to move on it would have been a positive experience. The fact that they told me that they would let me know either way and not to get discouraged and then do the opposite is what I found to be unprofessional. They also did NOT reimburse me for the personal expenses I had incurred during my visit. Bottom line if you have an interview with them and don't hear from them in a couple of months you probably didn't get the job and you should move on otherwise you'll experience the same level of frustration I experienced.