NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 10, 2015

2.6

Unknown Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR for an interview one day. I applied for one thing but wasn't selected. However, my resume was interesting enough to land an interview for a position that they would not describe to me over the phone. All that I knew was that it had something to do with hardware, cabling, and equipment maintenance. I don't think a position exists and that this was just an open interview.

During the interview, everyone I spoke to (panel interview) was nice and very approachable. They described the job but never assigned a job title to the job description during the whole process. They also stressed the fact that the job might not even happen, or that it might be a couple of months before I heard back from them. They kind of rushed through everything because they had an emergency meeting that conflicted with my interview time allotment (90 minutes of interview time was cut down to 45 minutes).

At the end of the interview they drove me back to the visitor's center, dropped me off, and rushed off to their meeting. I was left with a mixed assessment of how I did. I know that I interviewed well and knocked all of their questions out of the park but I wasn't left with a comfortable feeling at the end. I sent a couple of thank you letters and left one voicemail with HR. It's been almost a month and I haven't received any sort of feedback at all.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to tell them about myself (professionally) and list my skills.   1 Answer

Early Career Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Submitted my resume through my school's career portal and got an interview on-campus. The first round interview was with 3 different directors and they were all pretty nice. However, I was told that I would be hearing back sometime in mid-December but I was left completely in the dark. Quite unprofessional. I couldn't even contact them because they don't have a recruiter.

Digital Electronics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The process took 5+ months. I applied online and after 1.5 months I was contacted by the group manager for a phone screen. She was very nice and asked me if I wanted to come on site for a personal interview. I accepted and about two weeks later I was flown out to Pasadena for on site interview. My interview consisted of 30 minuet one-on-one conversations with various members of the section and the group manager, with a 1 hour lunch break and a couple more interviews finished by interviews by section chief and deputy section chief. The questions were mainly personal like would your family want to move to southern cal and why do you want to work here augmented by questions regarding my resume. It never got more technical than can you give me more elaboration on this line or this project you mention in your resume. Everyone was really nice and I heard all the things you want to hear during the interview: when do you want to start, you would be a good fit for this position, I think you are very versatile and can do more than the job requires if need be and so on. I even had one of the interviewers tell me that he just wanted to see if I could come up with completed sentences. They made me feel like I had the job and that the interview was mostly for my benefit to see if I like the place and people. I felt very confident when I left the site and was done for the day. They told me they would let me know in two weeks and not to get discouraged. HR told me they would call me and let me know either way. Two weeks rolled by and nothing. I emailed the group manager and she told me again in two weeks, and again two weeks rolled by nothing. So I decided to be patient. FOUR months later I contacted HR and they told me I was still being considered and I was still a candidate. A month after that I contacted the manager and HR and a week later they told me they had chosen someone else and thanks for my interest in JPL! If I had not contacted them I would still be waiting for an answer. I found the experience frustrating and unprofessional. Had they told me from the beginning that if I don't hear from them in a couple of months just to move on it would have been a positive experience. The fact that they told me that they would let me know either way and not to get discouraged and then do the opposite is what I found to be unprofessional. They also did NOT reimburse me for the personal expenses I had incurred during my visit. Bottom line if you have an interview with them and don't hear from them in a couple of months you probably didn't get the job and you should move on otherwise you'll experience the same level of frustration I experienced.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

I had just a few interviews, and they were over distance (as I was across the country) and on the phone. It was fairly casual for me but I was asked some reasonable questions on engineering background and process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

didnt negotiate

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I first had a phone interview and two weeks later received a phone call to schedule an interview. In the interview I was first given a short tour and a brief explanation of the benefits and all the HR information at JPL. Then the interview with the department managers took about an hour an a half. Basically going over everything that was on my resume and projects I had been involved with as a student. At the I was given a small quiz.

Subcontracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Professional interview. Has a good amount of fundamental interview questions. Need to have a command of your past history and resume. Consisted of multiple interviews in front of multiple individuals. At the end of the day, they want to get a holistic view as to your personality and your ability to perform the necessary functions.

Hardware Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied through university career fair, received interview offer after a month and was interviewed at campus. The interview was very easy and was involved of all behavioral questions. The interviewer had list of questions on her laptop and was reading out to me one by one. The interviewer asked about 25-30 behavioral questions and recorded my answer on her laptop.

I was asked to sign Equal opportunity disclosure form a week after I had interview on campus and two weeks later I received email saying that they are moving with other candidate.

Overall the interview was really good and interviewer was very very polite and easy to handle.

Industrial Hygiene Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (La Canada Flintridge, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online then received a call from the HR Department within 7 days. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview process was pleasent. I had sit down discussions with my potential future supervisor, his two bosses, and finally colleagues I'd work with.

Interview Questions

• No question was difficult. Most centered around getting to know me as a person and discussing my experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pending

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

Initial communication through on-campus presentation, then followed by an interview and after a couple of phone calls and emails an in person interview was offered. Really nice work atmosphere and good and understanding interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you versus other candidates?   1 Answer

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

There was no interview. I'm assuming I was hand picked from a list of resumes. There was email communication and then an on-boarding activity to receive a security id badge.

Negotiation

The terms were set upfront.; non negotiable.