NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Aug 23, 2014

2.6

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

I had just a few interviews, and they were over distance (as I was across the country) and on the phone. It was fairly casual for me but I was asked some reasonable questions on engineering background and process.

didnt negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in March 2014.

I first had a phone interview and two weeks later received a phone call to schedule an interview. In the interview I was first given a short tour and a brief explanation of the benefits and all the HR information at JPL. Then the interview with the department managers took about an hour an a half. Basically going over everything that was on my resume and projects I had been involved with as a student. At the I was given a small quiz.

Subcontracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in February 2014.

Professional interview. Has a good amount of fundamental interview questions. Need to have a command of your past history and resume. Consisted of multiple interviews in front of multiple individuals. At the end of the day, they want to get a holistic view as to your personality and your ability to perform the necessary functions.

Hardware Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in November 2013.

I applied through university career fair, received interview offer after a month and was interviewed at campus. The interview was very easy and was involved of all behavioral questions. The interviewer had list of questions on her laptop and was reading out to me one by one. The interviewer asked about 25-30 behavioral questions and recorded my answer on her laptop.

I was asked to sign Equal opportunity disclosure form a week after I had interview on campus and two weeks later I received email saying that they are moving with other candidate.

Overall the interview was really good and interviewer was very very polite and easy to handle.

Industrial Hygiene Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied online - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in September 2013.

I applied online then received a call from the HR Department within 7 days. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview process was pleasent. I had sit down discussions with my potential future supervisor, his two bosses, and finally colleagues I'd work with.

Interview Questions
    • No question was difficult. Most centered around getting to know me as a person and discussing my experiences.   Answer Question
    Pending

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Initial communication through on-campus presentation, then followed by an interview and after a couple of phone calls and emails an in person interview was offered. Really nice work atmosphere and good and understanding interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you versus other candidates?   View Answer

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in August 2013.

There was no interview. I'm assuming I was hand picked from a list of resumes. There was email communication and then an on-boarding activity to receive a security id badge.

The terms were set upfront.; non negotiable.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

This applies only to the interview process for a fresh PhD. Interviews are typically one day long. They begin with a presentation of the candidate's work with questions from a technical audience. This is followed by roughly 5 one-on-one interviews. These tend to be opportunities for the candidate to elaborate on the his/her work in graduate school or previous positions as well as a chance to ask questions about work at JPL. For this type of position, questions are not of the "quiz" variety but feelers to familiarize potential colleagues with the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • All questions related directly to my PhD thesis. There were no surprises.   Answer Question
    I had a competing offer from another organization, so there was one round of give and take with a slight increase in the initial offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in February 2013.

I applied through the OSSI for a number of positions. My future boss found my profile and thought my skills were a match for his research. Something in my resume fit what he was trying to find for the position. We exchanged emails and it was agreed that I'd work for him.

Interview Questions
    • No real questions were asked. It was largely to see if I wanted to work for him.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in January 2013.

A group of engineers came to my school for two days to conduct interviews. I had an initial, on-campus screening interview that lasted about 45 minutes. The interviewer asked me to elaborate on some of the projects on my resume; he then asked me a few behavioral-type questions like, "Tell me about yourself" and "Describe a time you had an altercation with a teammate and how'd you handle it."

About two weeks later, I was asked to fly out to Pasadena for an on-site interview. In the morning, the HR department gave a presentation on the hiring process and the benefits of working at JPL. I then had three 30-45 minute 1-on-1 interviews with managers and supervisors; then I gave a one hour presentation on a project I had worked on. After the presentation, I had lunch with a few early-career employees and then I went on a tour. I finished off with four more 1-on-1 interviews.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable process. The on-site interviews were all about the same as the screening interview; just a few behavioral questions and then they ask you questions about your resume. The interviewers spent a lot of time talking about what their group does. Everyone was very friendly and personable.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult or unexpected. Most questions were regarding my resume. Some other questions: "What do you want me to remember about you?",
      "Why did you choose your major and school?",
      "Describe a bad team experience and how did you handle it?",
      "What are some of your hobbies and interests?"
        Answer Question

Worked for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!