NAVTEQ

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NAVTEQ in October 2013.

Interview Details – It took around 2 months from start to finish. I was first interviewed after a school career fair, and then again at their HQ

Interview Question – How would you estimate the number of stoplights in Chicago?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in November 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview first. Then onsite interview. 2 - 3 round of onsite interview with different people. Overall, the procedures are neat.

Interview Question – Most of difficult questions are technical questions. They are very good at technical skills.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NAVTEQ in January 2013.

Interview Details – 3 step process:
1) Technical Recruiter contacts you, tries to determine whether you fit the position being offered based on experience and keywords in your resume (the technical recruiter has no technical background).
2) Phone Interview: There is a scheduled 30 min phone interview where you will be asked basic questions about the main languages for the position at hand.
3) In Person Interview: there is a series of 4-45 minute interviews with a pair of interviewers each. The final pair will be the hiring manager and her/his 2nd in command (the ScrumMaster of the group).
4) Background Check: They will attempt to confirm your entire employment history that you put on your resume. Additionally, they will demand proof of your previous salary. This is a measure they take to keep your salary from coming in too high for their tastes.

Interview Question – -More in-depth questions about the language at hand and central libraries. (For Java, the Collections framework is focused on heavily).
-Questions about Design Patterns (Gang of 4 book).
-Questions about unit and integration testing, Agile Practices.
-Logic Puzzles.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Research the market before giving an expected range to the Technical recruiter, that number will come back to you during negotiations. The recruiter is the point of negotiation. It is their job to temper the enthusiasm of the hiring manager and keep the offer "within reason." Don't be afraid to ask, the worst they can do is counter offer or stick to their original plan.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

Interview Details – Gave my resume at JobFair, got mail to come to the Chicago office.
5 Interviews back-to-back. 30 mins each. Each interview was from a different team. Some concentrated on technical aspects, while others on behavioral skills and resume.

Interview Questions

• Asked for the difference between java 1.4 and java 1.5. I didn't expect something so google-able to be asked in an interview.   Answer Question
  • Scalability issue. Function receiving a streaming array of characters. Length might be in millions. So, array.length() is out of the question. Array is sorted ascending. Contains duplicates. Find the nth largest element.   Answer Question
  • Questions on Binary Search Tree. for eg, checking if a given tree is BST, Maximum diameter of BST.   View Answer
  • HashMaps. Everything about it. Java hashing, hashcoding classes, general principal behind hashing, collision etc.   Answer Question
  • Cliche questions- final, finally. Exceptions, design patterns, MVC. Resume explanation, etc etc.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

Interview Details – Gave my resume at college career fair. Was then selected for an on-campus interview in College. Cleared that and made it to the on-site technical interviews. All interviews went fairly well. Later on, had another technical interview on phone and was later told that there is a hiring freeze.

Not very prompt on following up.

Interview Question – Mostly algorithms and questions about Java.   Answer Question

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in January 2012.

Interview Details – Multiple rounds. Phone and then in-person with 8-9 technical people. 1 behavioral.

Interview Question – Technical - QTP, Framework, UNIX, SQL Quality technical etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Contractors can negoatiate

Vice President Strategic Product Management Interview

Vice President Strategic Product Management
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in July 2009.

Interview Details – Following recruiter interviews and phone interview screening by the hiring SVP, there were 6 hours of f2f interviews in Chicago with prospective peers, superiors and subordinates. There is a very distinct midwestern culture at NAVTEQ which does not like an assertive style that is typical of SIlicon Valley and it seemed like the focus was on cultural fit more than skills. However the hiring SVP was strangely disengaged form start to end.

Interview Question – In the past, how long did it take you to realize you were in the wrong job and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at NAVTEQ in February 2011.

Interview Details – I spoke to the recruiters that came to my university for our career fair. Got an interview for the next day from that interaction.

The interview lasted for about a half-hour and was a mixture of behavioral and technical questions. Behavioral questions included how I would get people to do things without having authority over them. Technical questions included testing a linked list with an error in it and explaining what a natural join was databases.

A week or so after the interview I got contacted by someone from HR asking me some questions about my willingness to move and salary expectations. I didn't hear back from them for a few weeks after that and when I followed up they informed me that they had moved forward with another candidate.

Interview Questions

Business Affairs Manager Interview

Business Affairs Manager
Chicago, IL

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in November 2011.

Interview Details – Four (4) interviews total. One (1) phone interview, and three (3) face to face interviews. To accomplish these interviews in a six-week timeframe is aggressive, but positive if you're considered a candidate. Interviews were a combination of behavioral interviews as well as a case-based interview. Future advice to candidates would be to brush up on your case-based interview process questions. Regarding the people, office, and work culture, I would classify it as a technology start up culture, with a beginnings of the corporate parent exhibiting their values onto the organization.

Interview Question – If we provide a solution at $2/unit, then propose a bundled solution to our client at a higher price, what should that price be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate. I feel the offer is very fair and equitable.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in September 2010.

Interview Details – I got an email from the Director of the department to set up a phone interview. Had the phone interview. Afterwards I had the interview on site with the same Director that I had the phone interview, another Director, a Manager a Scientist and HR. The interviews with the Directors and the Manager were more broad and general. The Scientist asked more technical questions like:" I have this issue, how would you approach it." Interview with HR was pretty standard.

Interviews were relaxed.

Interview Question – What's the most important thing to take into account when collecting data from various different sensors?   View Answer

Worked for NAVTEQ? Contribute to the Community!