NAVTEQ Interview Questions

2.8

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

I applied online to Nokia/HERE (formerly NAVTEQ) after finding the job listing.

My initial contact was a phone call from an internal recruiter. I was only able to chat briefly, but was able to schedule a talk with the hiring manager for that afternoon.

The phone call was very enjoyable. I talked mostly about my previous experience and my approaches to handling data. After that, I was invited to the Berkeley location for an in-person interview.

The first step of the interview was an hour-long presentation. I presented some work I'd done that wasn't at all related to what Nokia/HERE does, but contained a lot of different ways to using data, visualizing results, and reporting. This was done with some of the Chicago part of the team listening in via web conference. This was followed by more traditional interview questions, lunch, and then more questions from the hiring manager.

Overall, it was a very pleasant interview process. Minimal coding on a white board, and mostly they were interesting in my experience and my approaches to solving problems.

About a week after the interview, I received an offer. I ultimately declined, but I'd definitely consider interviewing again in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Give an hour long presentation on something you've done.   View Answer

The role didn't have as much of a production aspect as I wanted. I got the impression I'd mostly be coming up with neat ideas and maybe patents, but actually getting them into products and used by people would take lobbying and convincing product managers to have their engineers implement it.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at NAVTEQ in October 2013.

It took around 2 months from start to finish. I was first interviewed after a school career fair, and then again at their HQ

Interview Questions
    • How would you estimate the number of stoplights in Chicago?   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

3 Days of interviews.
    Day one: question and answer quizzes with junior staffer
    Day two: Application design brainstorming in UML
    Day three: more technical questions, interview with department head.

Interview Questions
    • Application Design in UML. Seat of the pants design from top down to code level.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

Had 4 rounds of interview - 1 phone interview with recruiter, 3 rounds of in-person interview. The recruiting process takes a few months.

Interview Questions
    • How do you estimate how many golf balls are sold each year?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at NAVTEQ in January 2013.

3 step process:
    1) Technical Recruiter contacts you, tries to determine whether you fit the position being offered based on experience and keywords in your resume (the technical recruiter has no technical background).
    2) Phone Interview: There is a scheduled 30 min phone interview where you will be asked basic questions about the main languages for the position at hand.
    3) In Person Interview: there is a series of 4-45 minute interviews with a pair of interviewers each. The final pair will be the hiring manager and her/his 2nd in command (the ScrumMaster of the group).
    4) Background Check: They will attempt to confirm your entire employment history that you put on your resume. Additionally, they will demand proof of your previous salary. This is a measure they take to keep your salary from coming in too high for their tastes.

Interview Questions
    • -More in-depth questions about the language at hand and central libraries. (For Java, the Collections framework is focused on heavily).
      -Questions about Design Patterns (Gang of 4 book).
      -Questions about unit and integration testing, Agile Practices.
      -Logic Puzzles.
        Answer Question
    Research the market before giving an expected range to the Technical recruiter, that number will come back to you during negotiations. The recruiter is the point of negotiation. It is their job to temper the enthusiasm of the hiring manager and keep the offer "within reason." Don't be afraid to ask, the worst they can do is counter offer or stick to their original plan.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

Gave my resume at JobFair, got mail to come to the Chicago office.
    5 Interviews back-to-back. 30 mins each. Each interview was from a different team. Some concentrated on technical aspects, while others on behavioral skills and resume.

Interview Questions
    • Asked for the difference between java 1.4 and java 1.5. I didn't expect something so google-able to be asked in an interview.   Answer Question
    • Scalability issue. Function receiving a streaming array of characters. Length might be in millions. So, array.length() is out of the question. Array is sorted ascending. Contains duplicates. Find the nth largest element.   Answer Question
    • Questions on Binary Search Tree. for eg, checking if a given tree is BST, Maximum diameter of BST.   View Answer
    • HashMaps. Everything about it. Java hashing, hashcoding classes, general principal behind hashing, collision etc.   Answer Question
    • Cliche questions- final, finally. Exceptions, design patterns, MVC. Resume explanation, etc etc.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in November 2012.

Phone interview first. Then onsite interview. 2 - 3 round of onsite interview with different people. Overall, the procedures are neat.

Interview Questions
    • Most of difficult questions are technical questions. They are very good at technical skills.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NAVTEQ.

Gave my resume at college career fair. Was then selected for an on-campus interview in College. Cleared that and made it to the on-site technical interviews. All interviews went fairly well. Later on, had another technical interview on phone and was later told that there is a hiring freeze.

Not very prompt on following up.

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in January 2012.

Multiple rounds. Phone and then in-person with 8-9 technical people. 1 behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Technical - QTP, Framework, UNIX, SQL Quality technical etc.   Answer Question
    Contractors can negoatiate

Business Affairs Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in November 2011.

Four (4) interviews total. One (1) phone interview, and three (3) face to face interviews. To accomplish these interviews in a six-week timeframe is aggressive, but positive if you're considered a candidate. Interviews were a combination of behavioral interviews as well as a case-based interview. Future advice to candidates would be to brush up on your case-based interview process questions. Regarding the people, office, and work culture, I would classify it as a technology start up culture, with a beginnings of the corporate parent exhibiting their values onto the organization.

Interview Questions
    • If we provide a solution at $2/unit, then propose a bundled solution to our client at a higher price, what should that price be and why?   Answer Question
    Very little room to negotiate. I feel the offer is very fair and equitable.

Worked for NAVTEQ? Contribute to the Community!