NAVTEQ

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Program Manager Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at NAVTEQ in March 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter called me based on seeing my resume on a job site. He arranged a phone screen with the hiring manager. About a week later I came into the office to meet with a number of people one on one and group style.

Interview Question – How to deal with staff that had been with the company for a long time, but were not ready to transition to Agile software development.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NAVTEQ in October 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed over the phone by HR. Invited to a day of interview with 5 different persons. Most important thing was to show knowledge of the company. I read the last 10k report submitted to the SEC prior to going private. I got high remarks for that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Difficult. Not very flexible on salary.

Programmer Analyst III Interview

Programmer Analyst III
Hoffman Est, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in July 2008.

Interview Details – 1. HR phone interview
2. In-person Head-Hunter interview
3. TeamLead phone interview
4. In-person Team interview (5 people: 1 HR, 2 Teamleads, 1 Director, 1 TA, 1 Tech Ops)

Phone interviews were mostly informational about the company. They were probably gauging my personality also.
The in-person interview with the team was very informal and pleasant experience. Again basically feeling me out. They plain out said they knew I was techinical from my degree but wanted to be sure I had the personality for the team and understood the position. They wanted a long term employee.

Interview Question – What projects were I on during my time at my previous employer? What was my part?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – To be honest I was so happy to get the position I didn't try for better pay/benefits. Next time I will try to bargin more.

Specialist Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in September 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 4 different people: a senior in the group, the lead scientist in the group, the group leader, and an HR specialist. Seemed like pretty routine questions. Mostly only challenged by the scientist.

Interview Question – The lead scientist wanted to get pretty specific about projections and datums.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Lowball offer. I took it because I needed the job. Asking around to coworkers, it seems like their offers are usually based on previous salary, not about merit.

Quality Engineer Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in June 2010.

Interview Details – After SIX WEEKS of back and forth from their HR dept, I finally got an interview scheduled. Interview day comes, and interviewer gets tied up in a meeting. I received no notification until TWO hours of waiting around like a donkey. I still have yet to have the phone interview, but after seeing this hiring process circus act, Im extremely reluctant to even set foot in this place.

Interview Question – What are your salary requirements?   View Answer

Geographic Analyst Interview

Geographic Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NAVTEQ in June 2008.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from the HR department to set up an interview, then met with my prospective manager and another person who held the position I was applying for. That interview lasted about an hour, then I was called back a few days later to set up a second interview. HR then ran a background check.

Interview Question – What experience do you have?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Wayne, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NAVTEQ in March 2010.

Interview Details – I met them at the career fair. I gave them my resume and they scheduled an interview.

During the interview there were two people, a developer and an HR person. They asked me technical and general questions about what I wanted to do in the future and why I wanted to work there. They are a growing company working on location based advertising and maps for GPS systems.

Three days later, they called me and offered me the position and asked me when I wanted to start working.

Interview Question – Write a program that outputs the Fibonacci sequence.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NAVTEQ in February 2008.

Interview Details – Initial screen with HR; just a resume review.

1st round of 4 interviews with Managers and Directors in the target group and adjacent groups. Progressed to 2nd round 2 weeks later with 2 SVPs, 1 EVP, and CFO.

1st round had a handful of light case interviews, 2nd round seemed more like fit interviews.

Interview Question – What do you see as NAVTEQs current challenges and how would you address them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little wiggle room, and I pushed.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NAVTEQ in February 2008.

Interview Details – Interview process was very unprofessional to say the least. The director I interviewed with was multi-tasking while I was in the office being interviewed. Questions were all over the board while she was IM'ng whoever and answering emails during the interview - because she was getting ready to go get married that weekend - the interview was on the Friday before.....

I couldn't contain my annoyance and I'm sure my face showed it.

A couple of year's later I was contacted for a contract position there by a recruiter. He asked me if I interviewed with NAVTEQ before, I answered yes and told him about the time frame and the fact that it was a full-time position. After he submitted my resume, he called me back indicating that the person who got my resume looked me up in their system and declined to interview me.

Wow! - seems like they keep you in their database and add comments so you can be tagged on a blacklist.

I am happily employed somewhere else right now - these two experiences are enough for me to say never again....

Interview Question – Did you ever work on an extremely difficult project   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at NAVTEQ

Interview Details – Initial Phone Interview with other engineers:
Asked programming questions and concepts as well as details about past experience.
Followed up by a 2 hour in-person interview in downtown Chicago office:
Met 6-7 other members of the team and went over experience; what I was looking for in a working environment and some additional problem solving.

Interview Question – Recursive String Permutation Question: How many permutations without replacement can be generated from a given string. Write an java code algorithm to print said permutations to a file.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated through a recruiter. Was unable to negotiate more than the initial offer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at NAVTEQ