NAVTEQ Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.5

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NAVTEQ (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Gave my resume at JobFair, got mail to come to the Chicago office.
5 Interviews back-to-back. 30 mins each. Each interview was from a different team. Some concentrated on technical aspects, while others on behavioral skills and resume.

Interview Questions

• Asked for the difference between java 1.4 and java 1.5. I didn't expect something so google-able to be asked in an interview.   Answer Question
  • Scalability issue. Function receiving a streaming array of characters. Length might be in millions. So, array.length() is out of the question. Array is sorted ascending. Contains duplicates. Find the nth largest element.   Answer Question
  • Questions on Binary Search Tree. for eg, checking if a given tree is BST, Maximum diameter of BST.   1 Answer
  • HashMaps. Everything about it. Java hashing, hashcoding classes, general principal behind hashing, collision etc.   Answer Question
  • Cliche questions- final, finally. Exceptions, design patterns, MVC. Resume explanation, etc etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NAVTEQ

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at NAVTEQ (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

I spoke to the recruiters that came to my university for our career fair. Got an interview for the next day from that interaction.

The interview lasted for about a half-hour and was a mixture of behavioral and technical questions. Behavioral questions included how I would get people to do things without having authority over them. Technical questions included testing a linked list with an error in it and explaining what a natural join was databases.

A week or so after the interview I got contacted by someone from HR asking me some questions about my willingness to move and salary expectations. I didn't hear back from them for a few weeks after that and when I followed up they informed me that they had moved forward with another candidate.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial Phone Interview with other engineers:
    Asked programming questions and concepts as well as details about past experience.
    Followed up by a 2 hour in-person interview in downtown Chicago office:
    Met 6-7 other members of the team and went over experience; what I was looking for in a working environment and some additional problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Recursive String Permutation Question: How many permutations without replacement can be generated from a given string. Write an java code algorithm to print said permutations to a file.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated through a recruiter. Was unable to negotiate more than the initial offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at NAVTEQ in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process was very laid back. They make sure you know your stuff but not in the overly intimidating way that some other corps enjoy

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was satisfied with my salary negotiation. They gave me more that I asked for

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NAVTEQ in March 2008.

Interview

Initially, HR brought me in for an interview and I didn't hear back for weeks. It was if I feel through the cracks except for the occassional, we're interested. The second time around, it was much more professional and standard, maybe because the first HR guy was no longer with the company.