NBCUniversal

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NBCUniversal in October 2007.

The phone interview took about 25 minutes-basic info about the job offered, my past experience, and what I was looking for. Approximately one week later I was contacted to set up an on-site interview. After background check and other auxillary testing, the on-site people interviews consisted of arriving at the work site, waiting in the lobby and then 1-1 interviews with 5 directors that make up the Dept. senior staff. I made sure once I entered the gates to the property I was friendly with everyone I encountered (reception, admin. assistants, security etc.) Since the dress code is rather relaxed I never knew who was checking me out for the first time.
I tried to remain pleasant and "neutral" during the initial face-face interviews. (The building apeared in disrepair and I was hoping that this wasn't the typical daily setting!) I found out later to my relief that there were plans (now completed) to upgrade office furniture, breakrooms, carpet etc. I ended each interview with a firm handshake, eye contact and a smile thanking them for the opportunity to interview.

I do reccommend the following advice that I am sure has been repeated elsewhere;

Be at least 15 min early
Be pleasant and address/ greet everyone!
Be prepared to list short term and long term goals (2yr plan 5 yr plan etc)
Understand what unique skills you might bring to Co.
Learn about Organization prior to interview ((website)
Dress UP (not down) Business suit (dark in color) even though the dress code is relaxed-jeans etc. I was told later that I presented a "wow" factor b/c I was "suited".
Don't be quick to judge immediate physical surroundings!

Interview Questions
  • What was one of your best accomplishments?   View Answer
  • How will you influence the Dept. to reach its goals?   View Answer
I negotiated my salary. I did some prior research just to be ready. I found out that I was initially going to settle for about 15% less than their range. I'm glad I took the time out to explore other resources to find out what the range for this position (with my skills/ abilty and exprerience) was.