NBCUniversal Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Very smooth. Applied online, a month later, got a call from HR to set up phone interview. Once the phone interview passed, HR called again for an in-person interview. Then I got the internship after 2 months.

East Coast Page Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

To get an initial video interview with NBCUniversal for their East Coast Page Program, you need to know a former Page, a current executive at NBCU, and you need to have had extensive internships in the media and entertainment industry. Once you get the video interview, you have a minute to prepare for each question and roughly a minute to reply, via video conferencing software in which no one is on the other end. After completing this initial part of the process, you should expect to wait a number of weeks before hearing back. If you do hear back, you'll be extended a chance to participate in a panel interview with 4-6 other Page Program candidates. The wait time between your video interview and panel interview can range anywhere from 1-3 months. The panel interview is definitely daunting and something you have to extensively prepare for. The group interview is easy, just be yourself. For the 2-minute presentation, do something creative, unique, and make sure you practice it plenty of times to make sure you stay within 2 minutes. The one-on-one interview part of the panel interview lacks personality and the interviewers are rather serious. Only one interviewer speaks and the other two are there primarily to listen and observe your behavior/s. You are not only judged on how you act but how you act while others are speaking. After the panel interview, expect to wait another month or two before hearing back. You'll hear back through email and it is very impersonal. Overall, the experience was out-of-this-world but the process is grueling and after waiting almost 3 months, the end-result can be rather disappointing. A process NOT for the faint of heart.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Sell NBCUniversal to investors in less than 2 minutes. What entertainment experience do you have? What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses? Discuss something that sets you apart from everyone else.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal in March 2015.

Interview

A Campus 2 Career recruiter came to my school and selected some students for 15 min interviews. Followed up the in person interview with a thank you email and note but didn't hear anything for a month and a half. I was then was contacted for a live feed, skype-type of interview. They got back to me within a week of the online interview with an answer.

Manager - Digital Ad Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NBCUniversal (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

All involved were very welcoming, very forthcoming with information regarding the position, the team, and the work environment. I met with five different members of the team in the span of three hours.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of something you had a chance to create as a solution to a problem?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at NBCUniversal (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met an HR employee at a networking night, and later emailed her asking to chat. After chatting, she sent my resume to the recruiting team. They then sent me a video interview to complete. This means that you record yourself answering three questions (with a time limit) and then this recording, along with your resume, goes to various departments. You can redo your answers, which is great, but the whole process of recording yourself felt very awkward. Especially because you can see yourself answering the questions (like a mirror). This recording is supposed to replace the initial phone interview that recruiters normally do.

Digital Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

met with my interviewer and answered basic questions about the position and my previous experience. everyone that i had met with was very friendly and made it a great environment to be in. interviewing process was very stress free and laid back. the questions were not hard to answer at all

Page Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

I had a generally positive experience with the Page Program hiring process, the only frustration being its duration. I applied in June online, video interviewed in July, participated in an in-person panel interview in August, and heard back 9 weeks later in November. Once getting into the program there is an additional wait because you can only enter when a current Page leaves. The program administrator was generally very responsive and nice, answering emails promptly (besides within that 9 week period). At the panel interview, I got a similarly pleasant vibe from the other interviews and employees. I would suggest researching the program and company thoroughly online before your interviews, and a poised, well-articulated presentation seemed better received than theatrics in the panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What is something you would implement to improve the company?   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Everyone was extremely nice. The questions were just about my resume and what I like to do outside of work. It was to see if we got along. Someone else got the job because it was "extremely competitive."

Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NBCUniversal (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The process was extremely rapid and they were very unfriendly. It seemed as though they wanted me in and out as quickly as possible. I sat on a couch in a conference room, and it was barely official. They asked me about my experience with celebrities, which I obviously had none. They also asked me to go into detail about my work experiences and working under high pressure situations.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe my experience working with celebrities and working in a group   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Last year, I applied for a Production Assistant role for one of the talk shows produced in Stamford, CT. The day after I applied, I got a call from the person in charge of recruiting new people for the show, I think they were also an Associate Producer. They requested I come in and interview a couple days later, so I dropped everything and made the trip to Stamford where they film the show. Unfortunately, the swift response after my application did not set the tone for the interview. My interview was right after a taping of the show, so the waiting area was very chaotic. After pushing back my interview and having me wait longer than expected, I met the person who I had been in contact with and they brought me to the Executive Producer's office where I was to have the interview. As soon as I got to the office, they sent me back downstairs to the waiting area, because they weren't ready yet. I didn't get that annoyed and just wrote it off as what normally happens when you're working Production. So I was finally brought back upstairs and had the interview. The interview felt very rushed. The EP quickly went down a laundry list explaining salary, hours, duties, etc. Then I was asked why I wanted to work for the show, if I was uncomfortable with some of the topics/people that come on the show, just regular screening questions. The interview wasn't in-depth at all. It seemed like they didn't even care about who I was, just if I was competent. Though they did through in a question about what my career goal is, which would seem pretty obvious since I was interviewing to be a Production Assistant. I felt very rushed, but I didn't feel like they wanted to just get my interview over with so they could get to someone they really wanted. The EP then said that they want someone to start on Monday, this interview took place on Tuesday. The day of the interview was there last day there until the following week (hiatus), so it seemed like they wanted someone to start as soon as they got back. I said I was ready to start immediately and was told that a decision would be made either the same day or the next day. The EP wanted to confirm that the AP who set up the interview had my information and vice versa so that I could get in touch if I had any questions. Suffice to say, I was extremely happy when I left the interview. I thought that I would have a job in a few days, but if I didn't get it, then at least it would be over with by the end of the week. Well, I was wrong. As soon as I got home, I sent thank you emails to both the AP and EP, and made sure to say that I was excited to hear back and if they needed any more information, just to let me know. I didn't receive a reply. I expected this because I know that thank you emails don't always warrant a response. So the two days came and went, and next thing I knew, it was the following Monday when the new PA was supposed to start. I sent a follow up email to the AP, the one whose job it is to coordinate staff, and did not get a response. I said "oh well" and called it a loss. Honestly, I am happy that I did not get the job because that is definitely a place that I do not want to work for. I found it incredibly rude that I never heard back from them. They told me that they would get back to me in a few days and did not. I found them not replying to me exceptionally rude because I made trip all the way up to Stamford, CT from New York to interview. I wasted my money, and an entire weekday to do this. I'm a firm believer that if you come in to interview, the least they owe you is a response. A "Dear John" letter would have been perfectly fine, I didn't expect a personalized note. Since interviewing, I've met a couple of people who have worked for the show, and they say the turn over rate is extremely high. After interviewing, I understand why. The hours were absolutely ridiculous. I get they're production hours, but the pay was extremely low for it being part of NBCU. They definitely expect you to give you're entire life to the show. And it seems like a lot of people leave before the three-month freelance period ends and staff (with benefits) begins. I've noticed that this position has popped up a few times on the NBCU careers site. So it seems like a lot of people haven't stuck around. Overall, if they were more courteous and treated me less like a piece of paper with my experiences on them, then I would have a favorable review even if I still didn't get the job.