NBCUniversal

2.8

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

Process went smoothly. I received follow up when it was scheduled. The two people I interviewed with were responsive and respectful of my time. The first interview was a phone interview. I was brought into the office for two in person interviews. The interviews felt very casual and straight forward.

Executive Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal in August 2014.

I applied in June on the NBCUniversal C2C Website. After almost 2 months, I finally heard back and was asked to participate in a video interview. The link to the interview would expire within about 5 days. I did the interview and the interface was a bit complicated. The interview consisted of 7 questions; for each question you were given 30 seconds of preparatory time and 2 minutes to answer. If, at the end of the interview, I was unhappy with the results, I had one chance to redo the entire interview. A week later, I was emailed that I was being considered for the Executive Office Internship. The next day, I received an email directly from the executive offices staff to schedule a phone interview. The interviewers were very nice and spent about half of my 20 minute interview telling me about the position that I was being considered for. A little over a week later, I got a call with my offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about NBC Sports?   Answer Question
    • What professional or academic accomplishment are you most proud of and why?   Answer Question
    • What is a school or work-related project were you in charge of and how did you handle those responsibilities?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

Applied through employee referral and heard back the next day from HR. Set up a brief informational interview with HR for one week later. When the time came for the phone interview, HR kept pushing it back by an hour because of problems arising in the office. Finally when came time to interview, it aws very brief, just a few basic questions and then we scheduled an in person interview with the department. After the in person interview I was told a decisions was being made "soon" and I would hear back "soon." After a week and a half, I followed up with HR and expressed my continued interest and was told they were finalizing a final round of candidates and I would hear back "soon." After not hearing anything for a few weeks I figured I didn't get the position and finally two months after my initial phone interview I got a generic email that the position had been filled.

News Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal in August 2014.

I was first sent a link that with instructions on how to take the video interview. During the interview, I had to record my responses to five questions. And for each questions you get 30 seconds to prepare, and then one to two minute to respond.

Page Program Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal in August 2014.

1) First applied and completed most of my summer internship at NBCU, then went to the Page Program information session
    2) Sent the Page Program email my resume and cover letter, as well as had my supervisor submit a referral to them on my behalf (within the week of the info session, we only had a week to apply!). Also had to apply online through nbcunicareers
    3) Had a (at most) 15 minute interview with Page Program Director
    4) Had a combined interview of 3 parts: the first part was an interview with Page Program Director and Assistant Director where I sat with 3 other applicants. We were asked about 3-4 questions as a group. Then, we were separated into individual interviews that were specific to our resume/internship department. Finally, we performed a 2-minute presentation on why we should be in the Page Program, which was to address our previous work experience in entertainment and personality. I believe that each of the stages were recorded on a cell phone, I know at least the last two stages were.

NOTE: NBCU was VERY accommodating to current interns, as many of us were leaving soon and had to have interviews within certain dates or times. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND INTERNING HERE FIRST AND THEN DOING THE INTERN PIPELINE, AS YOU HAVE FEWER STEPS IN ADMISSION AND AN EXPEDITED PROCESS, as I have seen that it has taken months for some applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Which cable network in our portfolio do you think is the weakest and why?
      Which marketing campaign have you noticed recently to be particularly strong?
      Tell us about the most challenging experience that you have had in a work setting (for interns, this is difficult because you don't have much experience to choose from)

Answer Question
    No negotiation, lucky enough to get in!

C2C West Coast Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

I applied through the website and received an email for a VIDEO interview. I don't care for these type of interviews bc talking to a camera makes me nervous. Not sure if I will make it to the next round, because I'm not good at video interviews. I would have preferred a phone interview. They will let you take the interview again if you're not happy with the first one.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are going to be a good fit at NBCUniversal and C2C? What's the best environment you prefer to work in?   Answer Question

Page Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal in July 2014.

Completed the first round video interview... questions were not difficult, however because it was a one-way conversation (recording) it was hard to know when to cut yourself off. Also, there as a timer on the bottom of the video screen that changed colors according to how much time you had left... this was very distracting. If the interview was a skype/phone interview, it would have been a lot easier.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us something that we wouldn't know based on your resume.   Answer Question

Digital Position Interview Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

Overall, the the interview process was pleasant, until we reached the references portion. There the process became one of the worst I've dealt with in recent years.

One of my references flat out refused to be used (didn't understand why then, now I totally get it) due to their apparent historical 'abuse' of references, which was news to me. Not sure how an HR group could put a sour taste in an external reference's mouth. But apparently it has happened.

They require two out of four of your supervisors be used as a reference. Which is fine, but in taking a small poll, most people from my industry do not keep in close contact with their past bosses. Not close enough to use as a reference.

A day after I provided the needed rank and number of references, the position description/duties changed and I was no longer in consideration. So my references, were probed for basically nothing.

I'm confident my references gave glowing reviews, so I'm certain they weren't lying about the last minute position change. I'm also assuming the department I was being considered for doesn't really have their act together. I dodged a bullet and at this time, I recommend you saving yourself from this department for the next year or so. At least give them time to figure out their structure.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you'd change the department or make a mark in your first 30 days in this position.   Answer Question

Sports Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

I applied through the website and was then interviewed by an HR representative. It was a great interview, but took a long time to hear back from them. It was the first time that they had an internship program with NBC Sports so it was a bit disorganized. The interview was really engaging and once I heard back that I had gotten the position it took about a week longer to hear back on what department I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your minor and why you chose to study that?   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online – interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Applied online and was called for an interview right away. Had 2 interviews. Questions were regular interview questions if you're prepared. Don't overthink it and don't over accomplish the interview .