NBCUniversal Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

I met an employee through campus event. He referred me to the NBC HR Director. I was invited to participate in a group panel interview with about 12 other candidates. The mediators asked questions, and the candidates were required to answer among ourselves. Then, we were given a written current events quiz. I received an offer 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• It was a group panel interview, with 2 mediators. There were about 12 applicants in the room. Mediators asked questions and watched us answer among ourselves.   Answer Question

Stamford Shows Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Last year, I applied for a Production Assistant role for one of the talk shows produced in Stamford, CT. The day after I applied, I got a call from the person in charge of recruiting new people for the show, I think they were also an Associate Producer. They requested I come in and interview a couple days later, so I dropped everything and made the trip to Stamford where they film the show. Unfortunately, the swift response after my application did not set the tone for the interview. My interview was right after a taping of the show, so the waiting area was very chaotic. After pushing back my interview and having me wait longer than expected, I met the person who I had been in contact with and they brought me to the Executive Producer's office where I was to have the interview. As soon as I got to the office, they sent me back downstairs to the waiting area, because they weren't ready yet. I didn't get that annoyed and just wrote it off as what normally happens when you're working Production. So I was finally brought back upstairs and had the interview. The interview felt very rushed. The EP quickly went down a laundry list explaining salary, hours, duties, etc. Then I was asked why I wanted to work for the show, if I was uncomfortable with some of the topics/people that come on the show, just regular screening questions. The interview wasn't in-depth at all. It seemed like they didn't even care about who I was, just if I was competent. Though they did through in a question about what my career goal is, which would seem pretty obvious since I was interviewing to be a Production Assistant. I felt very rushed, but I didn't feel like they wanted to just get my interview over with so they could get to someone they really wanted. The EP then said that they want someone to start on Monday, this interview took place on Tuesday. The day of the interview was there last day there until the following week (hiatus), so it seemed like they wanted someone to start as soon as they got back. I said I was ready to start immediately and was told that a decision would be made either the same day or the next day. The EP wanted to confirm that the AP who set up the interview had my information and vice versa so that I could get in touch if I had any questions. Suffice to say, I was extremely happy when I left the interview. I thought that I would have a job in a few days, but if I didn't get it, then at least it would be over with by the end of the week. Well, I was wrong. As soon as I got home, I sent thank you emails to both the AP and EP, and made sure to say that I was excited to hear back and if they needed any more information, just to let me know. I didn't receive a reply. I expected this because I know that thank you emails don't always warrant a response. So the two days came and went, and next thing I knew, it was the following Monday when the new PA was supposed to start. I sent a follow up email to the AP, the one whose job it is to coordinate staff, and did not get a response. I said "oh well" and called it a loss. Honestly, I am happy that I did not get the job because that is definitely a place that I do not want to work for. I found it incredibly rude that I never heard back from them. They told me that they would get back to me in a few days and did not. I found them not replying to me exceptionally rude because I made trip all the way up to Stamford, CT from New York to interview. I wasted my money, and an entire weekday to do this. I'm a firm believer that if you come in to interview, the least they owe you is a response. A "Dear John" letter would have been perfectly fine, I didn't expect a personalized note. Since interviewing, I've met a couple of people who have worked for the show, and they say the turn over rate is extremely high. After interviewing, I understand why. The hours were absolutely ridiculous. I get they're production hours, but the pay was extremely low for it being part of NBCU. They definitely expect you to give you're entire life to the show. And it seems like a lot of people leave before the three-month freelance period ends and staff (with benefits) begins. I've noticed that this position has popped up a few times on the NBCU careers site. So it seems like a lot of people haven't stuck around. Overall, if they were more courteous and treated me less like a piece of paper with my experiences on them, then I would have a favorable review even if I still didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Be organized and specific in what you want. People want to see someone who has goals and heading towards that direction. Come a little bit before your scheduled time. Make sure to have a copy of your resume on hand and an extra for the hiring manager. Have a list of questions to ask about the job after the interview. Never leave the interview without asking some questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiation, You take what they offer in that department.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Emails, calls and then in person. Through word-of-mouth I found out about the opening, applied, spoke to HR and interviewed in person. Once my boss spoke to my temporary boss, the deal was sealed and I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• To continue even though there was a candidate in mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

Applied online, video recording interview, slightly awkward because you are talking only to yourself. A month later contacted to go in to do an in person interview. Interview was pretty average the interviewers were very nice.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NBCUniversal.

Interview

First contacted for a video interview and given 2 days to complete. very quick and straight forward, 6 questions. All the questions were listed on here already except - what does team work mean to you and how do you view yourself in a team (something along those lines). About 2 days after I submitted it i got an email from HR about my availability for an interview. Went in 2 days later to meet with 3 account executives where they told me about the position and asked a few basic questions - why media sales? tell me about your resume. how did you work in a team at your last company? how do you manage your workload on a typical day? pretty quick and straight forward. you need to know show that you're a team player, take initiative and don't need to be babysat. Next stage is w/ Hiring manager and dept. head. Surprisingly more relaxed - more of a conversation along w/ a few behavioral questions.

Anonymous Employee in Universal City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Universal City, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Submit application online and get a call from Campus 2 Careers rep, they send your resume out and you may get a call from a possible supervisor, you have a phone interview, then in-person interview, then they call you rather quickly to tell you if you got the job.

Interview Questions

• Important: KNOW ABOUT THE COMPANY, and research your interviewer to see if there are any interesting or relevant facts you can bring out during the interview.   Answer Question

Entertainment Publicity Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process at first was very long. Had to apply for job on website. If I hadn't spoken to campus recruiters I most likely wouldn't have gotten the job, That leg up certainly helped

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screening with hiring manager. He was very interested in my resume and was looking to fill a position that covered many properties but I was unclear as to what properties those were since this is a very large company.

Interview Questions

• Why am I looking for a new opportunity.   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at NBCUniversal (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was by phone. He was very formal and sounded a little nervous. He asks questions that leaves open ended answers. Best to describe in detail and explain what your skills are and how they relate to the situation.

Interview Questions

• My expectations, how I perform in a fast environment, my top personal skills.   Answer Question