NBCUniversal

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Intern Interview

Intern
Universal City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in April 2010.

Interview Details – I networked with an NBC page at a social event and was searching for summer internships. I got a panel phone interview at first in which two department pages (including the one I had met) and a dept director interviewed me for about 20 minutes. It was a pretty in depth interview in which they asked about my previous experience on my resume, any group or leadership experiences I had, and the interest I had in working for the company.

Less than 3 hours later, I got a callback from one of the pages that the director enjoyed my phone interview and wanted to bring me in for a second round in-person interview a week later. The in-person interview consisted of a panel interview that included the same 2 pages and director that had talked to me on the phone. During the interview process, I guess I did not answer the questions to their liking and I let them conduct the interview since I was the interviewee. At the end of the panel interview, the director took time to give me feedback, by telling me everything I did wrong in answering her questions and that I did not take initiative in trying to ask them questions while they were asking me questions. I personally save my questions for the end when they are finished asking as I feel that I am not the one that is conducting the interview since I'm the applicant. I felt demeaned by the director's tone of voice and the way that she gave me feedback. I understand constructive criticism can be very positive, but this was overall, one of the worst feelings I have ever felt in an interview process...this was by no means my first corporate interview process either. I had had interviews for full time jobs in other corporate settings before, and I felt like this was a pretty intense interview for a simple intern position.

Following my panel interview at the office, I was supposed to meet with two VP's for 1 on 1 interviews. The VP's were busy, of course, so they kept me in a holding room for a while until a Page led me upstairs to meet with one of the VP's assistant. The assistant was very passive and obviously did not realize she would have to fill in for her supervisor and interviewed me in a very passive manner, basically commenting on my resume as she read it and saying that my experiences must have been nice.

After the VP's assistant, I was bounced back into a waiting area and then I was led in to be interviewed by a VP who had finally gotten off the phone. She interviewed me for a total of about 3 minutes, in which she also gave me constructive feedback on my elevator speech. She then told me how it was a pretty dog-eat-dog world in the entertainment industry and wished me the best of luck and hoped that whoever was in charge of the hiring process would give me the opportunity. She was rushing through all of this because her phone was ringing and she said that she had to pick up the call as she was 7 minutes late for a conference call and made me feel like I was intruding in her busy agenda.

After I left the VP's office, one of the Pages told me the other VP and her team had to leave the office because some situation arose and that I wouldn't get to meet her, so I could leave.

I pretty much figured I wouldn't be offered the position at that point since I was criticized in interview, so I left without much hope.

About a month later, after they had went through all their candidates for a summer internship position, I got a call back after business hours (6pm) on a Friday. It was a panel conference call in which the 2 pages and the department director called me to let me know that they were not offering me the position and that they had offered it to someone else. They also told me about what they were looking for in candidates that they thought to be the perfect candidate for the job. I thought it was a bit awkward that they denied me an offer through a call, a conference call, no less. Most days, HR will contact you via email to let you down because it is a lot more efficient and less awkward.

Following that conference call of no offer, I received an email a few weeks later from another office assistant in the same office inquiring whether I would still be interested in interviewing for a summer internship. I asked if it was for the same office because I had already interviewed and been denied an offer for that office. She said it was not the same office, took my resume and got back to me weeks later saying that she was sorry that all positions had been filled. I took note of that as a lack of communication within their office and a screw up.

Overall, the interview process seemed very critical and I felt like I was just being bounced around everywhere. At the end of the day, this was a low key intern position and it seemed too much and too demanding for an intern. I know not all NBC Universal offices are like this, but I hope that others had a good experience because I had an overall bad one.

Interview Questions

• What are some recent Universal movies that you've seen?   Answer Question
  • What is it that you like about NBC Universal that sets it apart from WB or Disney/ABC?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in October 2010.

Interview Details – The process was very rigorous. I interviewed with 2 recruiters, the hirining manager, a panel consisting of the team I would work with followed by a presentation to the the team. The interview process from start to finish lasted 2 weeks. After the presentation I never heard back from anyone, as if I'd never even interviewed. Not even a courtesy letter.

Director, Business and Legal Affairs Interview

Director, Business and Legal Affairs
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at NBCUniversal in June 2009.

Interview Details – Initially met with the heads of the department. Thereafter met with most members of the department. Received an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Question – Nothing was particularly difficult. The interview process was lengthy because I was given the opportunity to meet with potential future colleagues. Each one asked different types of questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed at NBCUniversal in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and offered an interview. I took the interview and showed up on time to the offices. Members of the technical team asked me questions and I answered them the best I could.

Interview Question – Describe object oriented programming   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate

Communications Associate Interview

Communications Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in July 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position at one of NBC's cable networks. The HR contacts leading up to the interview were great to work with, and gave some helpful insights about what to expect. However, after interviewing, I didn't receive any update at all about the status of my application (and never did). A courtesy email, even if it had been an automated one, would have been greatly appreciated.

Interview Question – Didn't get any difficult questions. Simply, "what do you do day-to-day at your current job?"   Answer Question

Facilities Operations Manager Interview

Facilities Operations Manager
Burbank, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after getting my resume submitted internally. Had an initial interview over the phone going over my experience. Interview was conducted in a very professional manner by the recruiter who was very thorough in getting to know me so that the proper position could be found. Was contacted again the following week for an in person interview. Awesome environment with very passionate people that work there especially in the upper management levels.

Interview Question – What requirements of this job would you find most difficult to complete?   Answer Question

Writer/Producer Interview

Writer/Producer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in April 2012.

Interview Details – Mainly spoke with HR over the period of several weeks, multiple phone and in-person interviews. Spent only a brief time interviewing with the department supervisor, whom I would end up working with every day of my employment, but quite a few hours with various HR people who I'd never speak with again.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation -- they made their offer and I could accept or decline.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Human Resources Representative
Universal City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in January 2011.

Interview Details – I originally applied for a position and heard back from a recruiter that same day. Scheduled a phone interview for the following week, which went well. He then scheduled me for one-on-one interviews with three other people (managers/director of dept). When interviewing with the three I felt very confident. They seemed to be interested and the manager of the position told me directly that she was interested in me and even asked how soon would i be able to start if given the opportunity. They were all very friendly and explained the job position throughly and seemed interested. So the last person i met with was the recruiter and he said he would get back to me no later than the next week regardless of their decision. So then a week went by, then the second and i still hadn't heard anything. So i took it upon myself to contact the recruiter when he told me that they had decided to go forward with another candidate. I felt that they definately mislead me based on the interview and I think it was unprofessional of the recruiter to not contact me. Had I not called him i'm almost positive that i would have never heard back from him.

Intern Interview

Intern
Burbank, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at NBCUniversal in January 2010.

Interview Details – Following an initial phone discussion with Campus Relations HR, I had a phone interview with my prospective internship supervisor. I was immediately asked to come in for an in-person interview on the Burbank lot. Questions revolved around my personal interests, aspirations, and learning about the position. The background check is rather exhaustive.

Interview Question – What do you consider the worst TV show?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Intern Interview

Talent Acquisition Intern
Universal City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NBCUniversal in May 2010.

Interview Details – There's a first round interview through the phone which is conducted by the current intern. This is where all the technical questions are asked regarding your work ethnic, challenges you faced, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I think it's beneficial that this is carried over the phone because you could have notes and points you want to address prepared in front of you during the phone interview. Also, having a current intern interview you means they're roughly the same age so the phone environment doesn't feel so intimidating. Just make sure to impress him or her regardless!

If you pass the first round phone interview, you are invited to an on-site interview with two of the internship coordinators. I thoroughly enjoyed their personalities, and you definitely get a sense of the working environment. However, where I came short was I was expecting more questions where I can showcase my fit for the position, but instead the interview process was very relaxed and they just walked over my resume with me. They asked questions about what I did in the past, what I wished to gain from this internship, etc. I'm not sure how they decided their interns based off this if everyone's second round was as colloquial as mine.

The coordinators had told me I should expect to hear a response by mid-next week but I waited two weeks and did not receive any contact either through a phone call or email. I had to personally call the coordinator to ask the status of the internship and it was not until then that he told me the position had been filled. I personally believe a company should have the courtesy to follow up with all applicants regardless if they land the position or not.

Interview Question – What kind of environment do you like to work in? Would you say you enjoying being out and interacting with people or working behind the scenes in the office?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for NBCUniversal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NBCUniversal interview questions and advice in Los Angeles, CA. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by NBCUniversal employees and interview candidates.