NBCUniversal

2.8

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at NBCUniversal in November 2014.

I first interviewed at a conference which went well, pretty casual questions and good vibes. After that I had to do a video interview ( which apparently is supposed to be first). I thought it was awful since you are using a video tool and are given a question and then timed to record your answer. I much rather talk to someone than watch myself talk on webcam. However I answered the questions fairly well i guess. Lastly I was given a phone interview which was also pretty short and casual. Overall it was a good interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the last time you thought out of the box and how did you do it   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal.

Process went smoothly. I received follow up when it was scheduled. The two people I interviewed with were responsive and respectful of my time. The first interview was a phone interview. I was brought into the office for two in person interviews. The interviews felt very casual and straight forward.

Talent Acquisition Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NBCUniversal in March 2013.

I first spoke with the current intern through a phone interview that lasted about 15-20 minutes--the interview wasn't pre-scheduled but was done right then and there. About a month or so later I heard back from the intern and they invited me for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are some ideas you have for increasing participation in intern events.   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume.
      What would you tell an employee who has ran out of things to do.
        Answer Question

Telemundo Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal in April 2012.

Applied online and received an e-mail from the HR dept. She sent me a list with a couple of general questions such as what I want to do with my career. After this, I received a called where we discussed what department at NBCUniversal would be best fit. I was then contacted by the Telemundo Dept. and talked about why I wanted to be at Telemundo and how familiar I was with the network. Then I got invited to come in for an in-person interview. They were very professional and very focused on my career goals.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were related to the Network such as: Favorite Novelas (Soap Operas)?   Answer Question
    After the in-person interview, I received a call for the internship. It was unpaid, for school credit, therefore no negotiation took place.

Production Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NBCUniversal in January 2012.

I received an email to schedule an in house interview. I interviewed with the CFO assistant, CFO, a manager, and a director. the whole process took about three hours. When i was driving to the interview, apparently I got an email asking to come in later. Since i was already there, I interviewed with a lot of people.
    I was emailed an offer for the position a week later.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal in January 2011.

I originally applied for a position and heard back from a recruiter that same day. Scheduled a phone interview for the following week, which went well. He then scheduled me for one-on-one interviews with three other people (managers/director of dept). When interviewing with the three I felt very confident. They seemed to be interested and the manager of the position told me directly that she was interested in me and even asked how soon would i be able to start if given the opportunity. They were all very friendly and explained the job position throughly and seemed interested. So the last person i met with was the recruiter and he said he would get back to me no later than the next week regardless of their decision. So then a week went by, then the second and i still hadn't heard anything. So i took it upon myself to contact the recruiter when he told me that they had decided to go forward with another candidate. I felt that they definately mislead me based on the interview and I think it was unprofessional of the recruiter to not contact me. Had I not called him i'm almost positive that i would have never heard back from him.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at NBCUniversal in September 2010.

First, phone interview with recruiter. Then scheduled 2 one-on-one interviews with others in the team. Came back another day to interview with the manager. Whole process took about 2 weeks.

Talent Acquisition Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal in May 2010.

There's a first round interview through the phone which is conducted by the current intern. This is where all the technical questions are asked regarding your work ethnic, challenges you faced, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I think it's beneficial that this is carried over the phone because you could have notes and points you want to address prepared in front of you during the phone interview. Also, having a current intern interview you means they're roughly the same age so the phone environment doesn't feel so intimidating. Just make sure to impress him or her regardless!

If you pass the first round phone interview, you are invited to an on-site interview with two of the internship coordinators. I thoroughly enjoyed their personalities, and you definitely get a sense of the working environment. However, where I came short was I was expecting more questions where I can showcase my fit for the position, but instead the interview process was very relaxed and they just walked over my resume with me. They asked questions about what I did in the past, what I wished to gain from this internship, etc. I'm not sure how they decided their interns based off this if everyone's second round was as colloquial as mine.

The coordinators had told me I should expect to hear a response by mid-next week but I waited two weeks and did not receive any contact either through a phone call or email. I had to personally call the coordinator to ask the status of the internship and it was not until then that he told me the position had been filled. I personally believe a company should have the courtesy to follow up with all applicants regardless if they land the position or not.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of environment do you like to work in? Would you say you enjoying being out and interacting with people or working behind the scenes in the office?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBCUniversal in April 2010.

I networked with an NBC page at a social event and was searching for summer internships. I got a panel phone interview at first in which two department pages (including the one I had met) and a dept director interviewed me for about 20 minutes. It was a pretty in depth interview in which they asked about my previous experience on my resume, any group or leadership experiences I had, and the interest I had in working for the company.

Less than 3 hours later, I got a callback from one of the pages that the director enjoyed my phone interview and wanted to bring me in for a second round in-person interview a week later. The in-person interview consisted of a panel interview that included the same 2 pages and director that had talked to me on the phone. During the interview process, I guess I did not answer the questions to their liking and I let them conduct the interview since I was the interviewee. At the end of the panel interview, the director took time to give me feedback, by telling me everything I did wrong in answering her questions and that I did not take initiative in trying to ask them questions while they were asking me questions. I personally save my questions for the end when they are finished asking as I feel that I am not the one that is conducting the interview since I'm the applicant. I felt demeaned by the director's tone of voice and the way that she gave me feedback. I understand constructive criticism can be very positive, but this was overall, one of the worst feelings I have ever felt in an interview process...this was by no means my first corporate interview process either. I had had interviews for full time jobs in other corporate settings before, and I felt like this was a pretty intense interview for a simple intern position.

Following my panel interview at the office, I was supposed to meet with two VP's for 1 on 1 interviews. The VP's were busy, of course, so they kept me in a holding room for a while until a Page led me upstairs to meet with one of the VP's assistant. The assistant was very passive and obviously did not realize she would have to fill in for her supervisor and interviewed me in a very passive manner, basically commenting on my resume as she read it and saying that my experiences must have been nice.

After the VP's assistant, I was bounced back into a waiting area and then I was led in to be interviewed by a VP who had finally gotten off the phone. She interviewed me for a total of about 3 minutes, in which she also gave me constructive feedback on my elevator speech. She then told me how it was a pretty dog-eat-dog world in the entertainment industry and wished me the best of luck and hoped that whoever was in charge of the hiring process would give me the opportunity. She was rushing through all of this because her phone was ringing and she said that she had to pick up the call as she was 7 minutes late for a conference call and made me feel like I was intruding in her busy agenda.

After I left the VP's office, one of the Pages told me the other VP and her team had to leave the office because some situation arose and that I wouldn't get to meet her, so I could leave.

I pretty much figured I wouldn't be offered the position at that point since I was criticized in interview, so I left without much hope.

About a month later, after they had went through all their candidates for a summer internship position, I got a call back after business hours (6pm) on a Friday. It was a panel conference call in which the 2 pages and the department director called me to let me know that they were not offering me the position and that they had offered it to someone else. They also told me about what they were looking for in candidates that they thought to be the perfect candidate for the job. I thought it was a bit awkward that they denied me an offer through a call, a conference call, no less. Most days, HR will contact you via email to let you down because it is a lot more efficient and less awkward.

Following that conference call of no offer, I received an email a few weeks later from another office assistant in the same office inquiring whether I would still be interested in interviewing for a summer internship. I asked if it was for the same office because I had already interviewed and been denied an offer for that office. She said it was not the same office, took my resume and got back to me weeks later saying that she was sorry that all positions had been filled. I took note of that as a lack of communication within their office and a screw up.

Overall, the interview process seemed very critical and I felt like I was just being bounced around everywhere. At the end of the day, this was a low key intern position and it seemed too much and too demanding for an intern. I know not all NBC Universal offices are like this, but I hope that others had a good experience because I had an overall bad one.

Interview Questions
    • What are some recent Universal movies that you've seen?   Answer Question
    • What is it that you like about NBC Universal that sets it apart from WB or Disney/ABC?   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NBCUniversal in April 2009.

Used LinkedIn to identify contact within the company after finding the position online, and I was able to send her a resume that she was able to walk over to the colleague who was hiring. Once I spoke to the hiring manager over the phone, I submitted the resume online, send a fresh one in, and in two days I had the interview. The week after I got the offer and then had to follow up with a drug test and orientation.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about previous production experience and the balance between that and managing various priorities in the office.   Answer Question
    • I was asked about how I handle communications and relationships with people at various levels within a company.   View Answer