NBTY Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.5

Trade Display Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ronkonkoma, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBTY in January 2015.

After a brief email exchange and phone interview, I was scheduled for an interview with two supervisors in the department. The interview was informative about the job, and the interviewers were pleasant. I had questions about recent news of the company's financial downgrade, as well as the new regulatory crackdown on health supplements, and these questions were met with non-answers or pep talk about having to be competitive. Perhaps a bad move on my part, but these issues dampened my desire to join the company, and if they couldn't be addressed before the hire, I was content with not joining this company.

My biggest disappointment was with HR. I was told twice to expect a call within a week, and both times those calls were late. When the interview was finally scheduled, I was promised a follow up from HR with the address and time. I didn't get this until 5pm the day before the interview, after sending two requests for the information. And then after the interview, they never contacted me to let me know I didn't get the position, even after a follow up.

Interview Questions
    • There were no challenging questions. Our conversations centered around my experience, and how I think I would fit the position.   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holbrook, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holbrook, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at NBTY.

Multiple interviews with multiple people that varied depending on which way the wind blew. I was interviewed by people who were at my level so it felt more like a popularity contest. I had to be sure they didn't feel threatened which made it more of a therapy session.

Interview Questions
    • What question did you hope I would ask you today.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They dragged out the process so long, you didn't dare/

Regional Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NBTY.

It has been years since I interviewed but I do remember it being thorough and specific. Sales background necessary as a minimum requirement. A college degree is helpful but not necessary.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to travel 75% of the time. You never really know how much 75% is until you are on the road away from friends and family.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NBTY in May 2014.

I was contacted through email about a production supervisor position the company had available. I spoke to the HR recruiter, and we set up a date for a phone interview. All the questions were out of the book. Why do you want to work here? Do you have supervisor experience? What improvements/changes did you make at your previous job?
    The interviewer was very interested in setting up an in-person interview with the management team up until she asked about salary expectations. I told her I was open to a competitive offer, and she followed up by asking about my current salary. When I told her my salary, she was disappointed and said I was way over their range. I asked her for the salary range, but she refused to provide it.
    Two months later I was contacted by a separate recruiter located out of state. She asked if I was interested in a Packaging Supervisor position that was located in my area. It was not the same position I had previously interviewed for, and she was unaware of my previous interview. I told her I was interested, and she interviewed me on the spot. Again, the salary was an issue. She said she would talk to the hiring manager and see if they had any flexibility. The following day she called and said they could not move forward.
    I’m on the low end of a Production Supervisor pay scale, and it sounds like their range is much lower than that.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lyndhurst, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NBTY.

Long process. But worth the wait.

Vitamins Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at NBTY in September 2012.

I was interviewed for about 30 min they asked about my goals and what I wanted to be doing 5 years from the time of getting the job

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at NBTY in June 2012.

Not as detailed as I would have expected for a VP position.

Salary

Label Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ronkonkoma, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NBTY in December 2011.

Interview was about an hour. Manager basically asked why I wanted to work here, job description.

Consumer Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bohemia, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Bohemia, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NBTY in June 2011.

I interviewed for a consumer affairs position in June 2011. The hiring manager couldn't properly explain the position, training or expectations and it seemed as though he had just been hired himself. When I asked him to walk me through a typical day he said "you come in, turn on your computer, answer some emails and calls...take lunch...repeat and go home". He couldn't have been more vague.

Interview Questions
    • As the hiring manager couldn't properly explain most things related to the job, he had little to no questions for me to answer.   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bohemia, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bohemia, NY

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NBTY in November 2009.

Very long; couldn't seem to make a decision. Granted I was not a perfect fit for the position but it bordered on unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Will you fit in our culture?   View Answer
    • You have worked from home for several years. Why would you want to change that?   View Answer
    There was none. In this economy they held all the cards. They definitely low balled me. The job offered "X" and they offered me "X" less "Y".