NC State Employees' Credit Union

www.ncsecu.org

NC State Employees' Credit Union Interview Questions & Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in January 2014.

Interview Details – started with a phone interview. A few days later i was called to come in for a second individual interview and told me they would call back. got the call back and had a final group interview. They called minutes later to extend an offer. I accepted

Interview Question – 10 things to do with a pen besides write with it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – full benefits and statrting 30k

Raleigh, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union.

Interview Details – Mailed in an application and was contacted two days later by a small north Raleigh branch. I interviewed with the branch manager, having about a 30 minute interview. I have a Master's degree in a social science, so the first question I was asked is why I chose to apply to SECU. The questions to follow were general, "why would I be the best candidate," "what would my supervisor say is something I can work on," and questions regarding situations and customers. I was informed of the career track within SECU and asked what information I know about SECU. Interviewer was very open about the particular branch environment, informing me that some employees have to be "tip toed" around on a daily basis (which I found to be unprofessional). Following the interview I was never informed that I did not receive the position in a formal manner (letter, etc).

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for SECU   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Fayetteville, NC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in July 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted the paper application, received a phone call from the Senior Vice President and was hired right on the spot. He didn't actually ask me any traditional interview questions. We actually spent most of our time talking about the Credit Union and how the Career path works and what how to progress through it etc.

Elizabeth City, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person and offered interview the next day. Still waiting to hear back. Three person interview and was rather laid back.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

FSR-Secu Interview

FSR-Secu
Raleigh, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in August 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted paper application to about 5 branches in Raleigh. I heard back from 2 asking for an interview.

Interview Question – I really did not have any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Specialist
Raleigh, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was fairly easy, though I got the impression that they weren't prepared for the interview. Interviewed, in person, with two managers. Got ask a few irrelevant/strange questions throughout the interview. Overall, the company seems like a good company to work for with excellent benefits. Biggest con I could see is that the headquarters appeared to be a cubicle maze.

Interview Question – What do you like about (insert town)? What did you like about your University?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in October 2013.

Interview Details – Mail/Fax handwritten copy of application and resume. They will contact you. First interview will be over the phone (brief 15 minutes or less). Second interview will be in person and made while on the phone. It may be with anywhere from 1-3 different people depending on the branch. If they like you at the end of the interview they will ask if it is okay to contact references, do background check, and credit check. An offer of employment will be next.

My Qualifications:

2-3 years retail/customer service experience.
Bachelor's Degree in Business and Management Ethics.
Reliable transportation.
Nothing on my criminal (no speeding tickets).
760 credit score (no negative lines of credit).
Opened my bank accounts at their bank.
Senior Project was on Non-Profits (SECU is non-profit).
Everything on my Facebook account is professional (no partying).
Wore a suit and arrived at my interviews with all materials and 15 minutes prior exactly.
Answered all questions promptly, accurately, and with a humble demeanor.

After being interviewed 10 times at 6 different locations, my employer being called (risked me losing my job), personal references called, etc I still have not received employment-Why?

Not as many years of experience as another candidate.
Internal Transfer.

Don't waste your time. I certainly won't anymore.

Interview Question – What are the three weakest qualities about yourself?   View Answer

Senior Financial Services Officer Interview

Senior Financial Services Officer
Rocky Mount, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in July 2009.

Interview Details – When I was originally hired, I interviewed with the branch manager of where I was going to work. After gaining experience I was sent to interview with the head of HR, the executive vice president, and the president to obtain my 'lending limits.' This is a formality to make sure I am competent enough to make good decisions on loans, and gave me the authority to make decisions on my own.

Interview Question – How do you define success?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told what the highest salary I could receive and was awarded that. Not that it was a huge salary, but it was nice to get a job and start my career.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Programmer Analyst
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in April 2013.

Interview Details – Since they don't have an online employment application system, I printed out the PDF, filled it out by hand and mailed it in. Over the course of 2 months, I did a phone interview with a project manager, and 2 panel interviews with various VPs and analysts. Phone interview lasted an hour and panel interviews lasted about 3 hours each. Everyone I encountered was very nice and professional and it felt very relaxed there (the home office in Raleigh). Culture wise, it would have been a good fit for me. Sadly, their staring pay is low. Also, they waited until 2 hours before my interview to ask me to bring samples of my work. Interview questions were easy and straightforward: what skills do you know, what projects have you worked on, etc. No crazy behavioral ("what is your greatest strength/weakness") type questions. I was never given any kind of skills test, written or verbal. But they did ask enough technical questions to determine if I knew my stuff or not. Before the job offer, they did perform a criminal background check AND a credit check. They gave me a copy of my credit report that they pulled, which was nice. Seemed like it would be a fun young group to work with. I rate this interview process as a negative experience only because I wasted 2 vacation days on interviews only to be offered less money than I currently make. Since they don't post salary ranges on their website, I had no way of knowing what the pay range was in advance. I wish they had never contacted me about this job since they already knew from the beginning that they couldn't pay me what I was worth.

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult or complex business problem you had to solve and how you went about solving it.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They actually offered me $5K less than I make at my current job, even though I noted my current salary and desired salary on the job application. After declining their offer, the VP reminded me of their great benefits and yearly 5% raise. I reminded them that there is no guarantee of a 5% raise each year unless it's in writing and their benefits are really no better than any other place I've worked. Two weeks after I declined, they called me again to see if I had changed my mind because they were still unable to find anyone to fill the position, even though they were still offering the same starting salary. I told them "no, I'm still not going to take a pay cut to work for you!" There's lots of competition for skilled I.T. workers in the Triangle. The credit union is going to have to bump up their starting salaries if they want to fill their open I.T. positions.

FSO Interview

FSO
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NC State Employees' Credit Union in April 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was fairly straightforward and easy. No off the wall weird questions. Communication was via email and phone. Pretty quick turn around from interview to hire.

Interview Question – Do your research like you should for any organization.   Answer Question

Worked for NC State Employees' Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!