NCH Interview Questions

Updated Jun 2, 2015

2.5

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Indeed. Got a call from HR after a month or so. Had good HR interview then scheduled onsite interview with 3 interviewers. Total duration of onsite interview was 3 hours. But the saddest part is I did not get any response after that. Many times I called up for follow up but no one answered my calls even sent an email to HR but no response. This is not expected from a such big company.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this field?   1 Answer

Account Representative/Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at NCH (Irving, TX).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the sales manager within a few days. The interview consisted of a brief phone and scheduled for a face to face. I did the in person interview w/manager did some shadowing to see if this is what I wanted to do. It was something i saw myself being able to do and felt like I'd fit right in.

Interview Questions

Pay was too low I haven't worked for such a low pay in about a decade. Commissions is involved but still didn't seem worth it.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at NCH.

Interview

Meet with a Recruiter that sells you on the job, then 2nd interview you meet with prospective manager. They tell you that it is easy to make $100k + in the 1st year, but pay you $1,000 Salary per Month.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set initial pay scale that you can never reach the higher tier.

Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NCH in September 2013.

Interview

Contacted by HR via phone. Spoke on phone with HR. Later spoke on phone with Vice President. Flew into town for in person interview with Vice President. The interview seemed very informal. I was introduced to other Vice Presidents. The interview was very brief. I was told, "I knew that I was going to hire you before you even got here. Let's just talk about money."

Vice President Finance & Strategy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I took time off of work to fly to Dallas and interview but I did not get the agenda until the last minute. Most of the interviews seemed normal. An HR director asked some questions which I promptly gave answers to and then she kept telling me that there is no right answer like I needed her assurance even though I answered the questions promptly and with confidence. It was odd.

When I first decided to take the interview I told NCH that I would need a quick response or they should not bother with me because I would want my son to start school at the beginning of the year. When the process stalled I pulled out and then it was a hassle to get reimbursed for my miscellaneous expenses.

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to move to Texas. I has already told them I lived there previously and would welcome an opportunity to return.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NCH (Irving, TX).

Interview

I replied to a posting on Indeed.com, and a recruiter called me a few days later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very standard and went well. After the phone interview, I was invited to an in-person interview with a director.

I over prepared for this part of the process, because it was very casual - I had the feeling the director was trying to get more of a take on my personality and work style, since my resume showed I had the chops for the position itself. After the in-person interview, I was told that everything was great, he thought I'd be a good addition to the team, and that I'd hear from them in a few days.

Well, I did hear from them, but the news was not good. My position got put on hold for a few months! I was told that they would contact me in the new year (This was in September). I really didn't expect to hear anything again from NCH, but sure enough, in February of the next year I was contacted by the recruiter and invited to come in to meet with the president.

This interview was also casual, I spoke the president 20 minutes and he offered me the position. I didn't need to negotiate salary because what they offered was more than was listed in the original job posting, and more than I expected in the first place. They do background check and drug test before you start.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salary offered was a few thousand more than I expected, so no need to negotiate.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NCH (Irving, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

Received a telephone interview first, went very well. I interviewed and discussed my experience and qualifications for the job. The immediately scheduled an in-person interview for the next day.

I met with the Creative Director. He was friendly and asked good questions. We spoke at length about the position and he said it appears that I have a good understanding and qualifications for the position. He did say they wanted to interview more people, yet were having a problem getting them in.

I sent the Creative Director a personalized greeting card thanking him for his time, and again stated that I was interested in the position and hoped for the opportunity to work with him & his team. I also followed it up with an email as well. I heard nothing for a week and a half, so I emailed again and also emailed the HR person who did the initial phone interview.

I got a very bizarrely written "generic" response with a "do not reply" email. It said that they were going to hire "more experienced" individuals. Now granted, if there's something I lacked, I can't think of it. In fact, I have been in the business just as long as the Creative Director and worked for as many companies as he has.

I emailed the HR person and the Creative Director again, to get a clarification on what I can do to improve my attractiveness to future employers (a standard business 101 request) and I get no response.

Just found their lack of comments highly unprofessional. I can't help but think its either an age issue or an insecurity issue but needless to say, very weird experience.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions, your standard designer interview. Looked through my portfolio.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at NCH in April 2013.

Interview

After an initial phone screening, I was offered a chance to interview in-person with the hiring manager. Here is why I chose not to:

1) The recruiter was incredibly evasive about base salary, and would not even provide a general salary range. Most legitimate sales positions will gladly provide a general base salary range in order to create interest with a candidate. The recruiter only stated that the hiring manager makes that decision. After being a hiring manager myself, I am sure that the hiring manager plays a part in that decision, but the fact that an HR rep that is actually recruiting for a position doesn't know the general salary range is most likely NOT true at all.

2) When I asked about how car mileage & expenses are reimbursed, I again got a foggy answer, and was told that "varied" by market". Again, I am sure that their is at least a general monthly range that is budgeted for this, and a policy that establishes what types of expenses are covered. Why would anyone be so evasive? Probably, because they are intentionally trying to be deceptive, and avoid having to address an area of compensation that they know is very poor compared to other similar sales jobs.

3) I Googled the hiring manager, and he has one of the most unprofessional & offensive Twitter accounts I have ever seen for ANYONE. It was full of vulgar posts consisting of sexually explicit jokes, and derogatory comments towards women, along with occasional racial/ethnic references. Totally unacceptable for anyone who interacts with the public on behalf of a business, but especially for a manager who is charged with leading others within the organization.

My final thoughts are that if NCH treats prospective employees this way when they are trying to recruit them, how dishonestly do they treat their actual employees? Also, the caliber of their management team definitely seems suspect, at best. I couldn't imagine that such an unprofessional organization is a place to reasonably plan the next step of my career. My gut response to all of these indicators is: "Buyer Beware".

Compliance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NCH (Dallas, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Called in by HR department, then you will meet with your respective department director.

Interview Questions

• Wanted detailed work experience with federal regulations   Answer Question

Negotiation

yes, stick to your guns. this company grosses 1 billion annually .

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NCH.

Interview

Very professional recruiting staff. Followed up and kept me in the loop in the process

Interview Questions

• Didn't really have any unexpected questions, but I'm a recruiter so I felt like I was prepared.   Answer Question

Took another opportunity