NCR

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Position Interview

Marketing Position
Duluth, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NCR in January 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied online through the company's website. I was declined the first time, however a month later I received another email from NCR stating they wanted to interview me. I went through my first phone interview with a general HR representative who asked me basic questions about why I wanted to work for NCR and why I desired to leave my previous position. They told me a decision would be made soon and shortly after, I was contacted by a different HR representative to have another (but more brief) interview and to schedule a 1:1 interview with the department's director / manager. Interviewing with the director was pretty much average. He didn't seem to know a lot about the subject matter when I asked him advanced questions about how they worked at NCR. When I asked if I could meet the other members of the team before making a final decision the director informed me that they would fly me to Dayton (as they had not finished moving down to Atlanta yet) so I could meet the team. That trip never happened however and my requests for a "Why" were never returned. I had several phone interviews with the director after my 1:1 interview where he asked me the same questions over and over again that I answered for him in my 1:1 interview. After finally providing a sense of urgency on my part that a decision had to be made, an offer letter was finally extended to me. I accepted and joined the company 3 months after my initial phone interview.

The work culture is business causal with casual Fridays. I noticed after walking the door that most people are straight-laced and don't seem to relax or have fun. Most workers seem to sit in their cubicles all day without much socializing with other employees or taking breaks. The headquarters didn't seem to have any life to it. Most people I met seemed like they were drained and didn't care much for their job.

Interview Question – Name a challenging / difficult situation you've been in at your previous jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was a 15 minute phone call with an HR representative to discuss salary and benefit requirements. It was fairly informal and in my opinion should have been a bit more professional on NCR's end. It seemed like they wanted to quickly breeze through that part of the interview process without putting care into ensuring the applicant / new employee was comfortable with everything.

Worked for NCR? Contribute to the Community!