NCSA Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.3

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NCSA (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Three round interview process for a development job. Was called in for the third and final interview (first interview was a quick in person meeting to see personality type, second was phone call to discuss development skills). The first 45 min consisted of taking a tour of the building which is basically a crappy warehouse. I was shown all the offices, the sales floor, etc. Felt like a giant telemarketing nightmare. Then sat down with the developers to talk shop for a while and casually converse about past work experience and whatnot. Next, the final round of the final interview, was meeting with the lead developer to see how you work. It was a mess. The dev gave me his computer, googled "wireframe layout" and picked a random wireframe for me to build out as he sat there watching me. He told me we would be "working together", but we definitely were not. It was rude and insensitive to throw someone into the mix and then sit there and judge their every move. Honestly, at the end of the day, this is a company with people wearing lanyards and name tags around the office. Felt like I was shopping at Finish Line, not working for a highly successful athletic recruiting company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NCSA.

Interview

I applied on their website and heard back a few days later to set up a phone interview. Pretty basic questions, why I was interested, what I knew about the company, etc. A few days after that, they emailed back to schedule a Skype interview with two individuals at the company. There were some repetitive questions. Then, I was sent a typing test, a few questions, and an athlete to evaluate. Company followed up a bit over a week after receiving that information to let me know that they had offered someone else the job. I appreciate their honesty, and they were also very upfront about the fact that they wanted to hire someone who could start quickly (I would have had to relocate). Before I scheduled the phone interview, they told me the salary for the position (low-30,000s), which surprised me a bit given the role.

Interview Questions

• Why should a high school athlete use NCSA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at NCSA (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume and cover letter per online instructions. Was sent a general job application to fill out that needed to be returned along with a 5 minute video, audio, or letter about myself (I chose the video). Had initial interview with Human Resources personel who ended up being my point of contact throughout the process. Two weeks later, and once a week thereafter, I had interviews with the local head scout supervisor, then the VP for scouting both over the phone, then a final Skype interview with the VP for Training and Education. The following week I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience as a recruit in High School and how does that shape your views of the recruiting process.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. There is a set pay scale and bonus structure for all Head Scouts.

Head Scout Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NCSA.

Interview

Very disorganized. Started off with a tour around the office from the employee who reached out to me initially ( No HR affiliation.) From there I met with man who would of been my boss. He was extremely disinterested in me from the beginning and was not enthused about the position. Maybe I caught him at a bad time, other people seemed much from personable.

National Scout Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NCSA.

Interview

process was unorganized, felt that staff made a horrible first impression. Training was professional and the instructor had a lot of expertise in the area of sales.. maybe not scouting but in sales for sure. I don't have a lot of other information to input here so I am typing to meet the minimum of 50 words that is required.

Negotiation

non exsistent

Recruiting Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NCSA (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Interviewed on the phone then in person with the head of the department. I provided him with background info and we talked about what skills I have that would make me a good fit.

I took another job that did not require me to move.

Scout Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NCSA in March 2014.

Interview

Applied got a response within a week. Had 2 interviews. First one was an initial phone screening just for them to get a feel if you're the right fit for the job. Second interview was about an hour long. Very informative and asked a lot of questions about your background pertaining to the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They give you a ton of information on the job ahead of time so you know what you are getting into. The person I talked to was very polite and was talking to me like we had been friends for years.

Dysfunctional IS An Understatement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NCSA (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interviewed a few times over the phone. Mostly conversational. After the first couple of interviews they want to do a mock call with you. They tell you to call the scouts in the hiring department between 10-30 times over the course 1-2 days because they want you to be persistent...it's really weird, they really treat you like you are a child.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NA

Head Scout Interview

Interview

After applying, the next thing I heard from them was that they would like to start the process with an application for employment (background check), and also wanted me to write a note, make a video, write a song, about why I would be a good fit for NCSA. They asked to be creative, and have fun. Apparently I did well, and got a phone interview with a VP of Scouting. The interview went well, but unfortunately I did not get any further, and another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• This job required some semblance of sales numbers, which they asked about, and which I unfortunately did not have from my last job.   Answer Question

Scout Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NCSA (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Typical interview process, submit application, receive phone call from the director of training or a VP. If they like you they will bring you in for a face to face. Usual sales pitch "work hard and you can make six figures in less than two years". Very doable but only if you are willing to buy in and you are talented.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, typical sports to business analogies.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating