NEOGOV

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Enterprise Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NEOGOV in October 2011.

I applied directly through the company's site and was contacted by someone who I assume was a contract corporate recruiting outfit calling itself Optima Technology Business Advisement (I won't give the contacts actual name). This person asked me to do a Skype interview with him and I agreed. We had some initial technical issues where he couldn't hear me but I could hear him. I tried to advise him that he probably had his audio muted but he didn't seem to get it. I then asked him if I could just call him direct by phone and he agreed. The entire interview basically consisted of him asking me to sell him on the service which I was selling at my most recent job. I felt this was irrelevant given that my job prior to that was where I got the bulk of my sales experience and was more directly related to the position I was applying for with NEOGOV (SaaS sales). He had no idea who the previous employer I worked with was or what they did even though they have had heavy press in the recent two year period in all of the major technology news sites. This lead me to believe that this person really didn't have a firm grasp of the technology space as a whole. His interview style was very short and terse and I never felt like he really gave me much of an opportunity to discuss my background in full detail aside from this pitch I had to give him.

What really got me was the initial round of questions I received from this person. He asked me what nationality my name was from and whether I was a U.S. citizen, both of which are illegal. You can legally ask if someone has the legal right to work in the U.S. but not where they are from or what their status is although I am a U.S. citizen. I was surprised by how unprofessional this person was and even more surprised that a company like NEOGOV which deals with government entities would let their hiring be handled by this person. Judging by the employee reviews of this company I'd say that they need some work getting their house in order.

Interview Questions
  • Sell me on the previous service/solution that you sold.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for NEOGOV

Enterprise Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NEOGOV in November 2011.

The hiring manager is the angel investor/board director/consultant to the company. I found it odd that he did not conduct the interviews on the company premise, although the company is right in the area. The first round was through a quick Skype video conference where he asked basic information about my background and experiences. He also asked for my last three years of W2 statements.

After the video interview, we arranged to meet at a Starbucks near the company (again, odd). He asked me to bring a list of questions I have about the position. I did, and I jotted down some notes. After 20 minutes, he concluded that because I had to write stuff down, I have memory retention problem so I won't be hired. He also assumed that I am anal and meticulous because of this behavior (which I am not. And is it legal to call someone the "a" name during an interview?).

Additionally, while this person was explaining to me about their target audiences, he mentioned that about 80% of HR managers are women between the ages of 35 and 45, and the IT directors are mostly men and older. I didn't feel it was appropriate for him to remark on their clients' gender and age. When you do business with someone, these should not be a factor unless you are running an advertising campaign targeted specifically to these groups (and they are not -- NEOGOV is a HR SaaS company).

I discussed my interview experience with a close friend who is a senior paralegal at an HR department. She said this company is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I was a bit apprehensive about this company prior to the in-person meeting after reading reviews on here, now I can see why those comments were made. With a Board member like this dictating the direction of the company, it's no wonder why employee satisfactions are low.

Interview Questions