NEOGOV

Employer Engaged

NEOGOV Interview Questions

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at NEOGOV.

Phone Interview - General questions about current profile, interests and reason for leaving current job.
    Skype Interview - One coding question, one analytical question, and one behavioral question
    Coding question was to write a function to determine if a string is a palindrome or not
    Analytical question was the standard 25 horses, 5 racetracks, find number of races to find 3 fastest horses.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NEOGOV in June 2014.

1st - received an email from a recruiter related to the job description and asking me favorable times to speak about the company
    2nd - Phone screen with some weird hr who was just boasting things about the company as if it's better than google / facebook etc.
    3rd - Skype interview with their non-technology person who is still going to ask you to come up with a coding solution and all this while he will sit and stare at your screen.

I didn't clear any further, but I feel I am lucky that I didn't go any further as it's just plain ridiculous for people to expect such random solutions and explain it to some stupid HR who has never coded even once in their life

NEOGOV Response

Aug 28, 2014HR

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your interview experience. As we can only speak to your 3rd portion of contact, since we are not the recruiting agency who contacted you, we would like to ... More

QA Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NEOGOV.

1. Skype call-General Introduction and resume based interview.
    2. Onsite Interview/Skype call Interview
          2 Technical easy coding questions.(String Manipulation)
          A scenario will be given and you have to come up with as many test cases as you can.

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NEOGOV.

The day after I submitted my resume, I got an e-mail from one of their recruiters for a Skype interview. I really liked how I could see the schedule and submit three time frames that were good for me. The Skype interview was a technical interview where I was quizzed on ColdFusion and jQuery. I was shocked--I thought my resume and certifications proved myself technically and I was ready to dazzle them with my knowledge of the company and their products, but I never got the chance. My interviewer was polite, but I got the sense that she did not want to be there. She projected a "Let's get this over with" vibe.

Interview Questions
    • What surprised me most was that I was asked about some obsolete features of ColdFusion--specifially, Application.cfm. While that is still supported, it's generally been replaced by Application.cfc since ColdFusion MX 7. Maybe she was trying to trick me, but it gave me the impression that the company was a little behind the times.   Answer Question

Outbound Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NEOGOV in August 2012.

For an entry level position this place has an extensive interviewing process. I was contacted by the recruiter about 1 month after I applied. She asked standard questions and then set me up for a followup interview via Skype. In this interview she asked the same standard questions and gave me an opportunity to ask some questions. I was told in this interview that every 6 months I could be promoted to the next position (outbound lead to either inbound lead or software customer service, then from there enterprise sales or software implementation sales/customer service) she was pretty rude during the interview about an issue with my mic not working and based on her lack of showing interest in me I figured this was the stopping point in my interview process. But, to my surprise I received an email a few days later to set up a follow up interview via skype with manager.

This is where the interviewing got weird. As previously mentioned by other posters I was interviewed by a member of the board of directors; i find this odd but it wasn't a surprise since I had read other users posts. Unlike the other posters I found this older man to be friendly and but not straight forward. When I asked him questions he rambled on and gave me completely different time frames for advancement than the recruiter.

Following this interview I was scheduled for a 4th and in person interview with an executive. I was given an address in the email which I pulled up on my iphone's google maps via clicking the blue link in the email; this was the wrong location and I ended up 10 blocks from the real office. This cause me to be late so learn from this mistake and don't trust all technology.. double and triple check! I called to inform them of this mix up and that I would be about 5 min late; I was told to call them when I was at there door so I could be let in. I went upstairs and when I got to there door I had no service (dang AT&T) so like a fool I had to knock on the door. Once we sat down for the "executive" interview to my surprise I was interviewing again with the same recruiter and board member. The same questions were asked again (sales background, why neogov, why do I think i would excel, what kind of management style do I work best under). The question that really through me for a loop was being asked to demo my three favorite apps on my iPhone. The board member again told me the potential career paths and again gave me a completely different time line for these review processes

After the interview the recruiter gave me her card and I asked for one from the board member but he didn't have one. Also, he didn't have a neogov email address.

Something is fishy about this place, why is a board member interviewing people if he isn't a part of the company? Why is it every time I ask about the career paths I get a different answer?

I sugest if you take a job with this company you get the review timelines in writing.

Ultimately I didn't receive an offer and they told me "after careful review of your knowledge, skills, and your abilities against the job specifications we have decided to pass on your candidacy." Really, it took you four interviews to come to this conclusion! This is an entry level position how perfect can you expect someone to be right out of college.

With the fishiness during the interview process I feel as though I may have dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions
    • Demo for us your three favorite iPhone apps right now.   View Answer

Enterprise Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NEOGOV in October 2011.

I applied directly through the company's site and was contacted by someone who I assume was a contract corporate recruiting outfit calling itself Optima Technology Business Advisement (I won't give the contacts actual name). This person asked me to do a Skype interview with him and I agreed. We had some initial technical issues where he couldn't hear me but I could hear him. I tried to advise him that he probably had his audio muted but he didn't seem to get it. I then asked him if I could just call him direct by phone and he agreed. The entire interview basically consisted of him asking me to sell him on the service which I was selling at my most recent job. I felt this was irrelevant given that my job prior to that was where I got the bulk of my sales experience and was more directly related to the position I was applying for with NEOGOV (SaaS sales). He had no idea who the previous employer I worked with was or what they did even though they have had heavy press in the recent two year period in all of the major technology news sites. This lead me to believe that this person really didn't have a firm grasp of the technology space as a whole. His interview style was very short and terse and I never felt like he really gave me much of an opportunity to discuss my background in full detail aside from this pitch I had to give him.

What really got me was the initial round of questions I received from this person. He asked me what nationality my name was from and whether I was a U.S. citizen, both of which are illegal. You can legally ask if someone has the legal right to work in the U.S. but not where they are from or what their status is although I am a U.S. citizen. I was surprised by how unprofessional this person was and even more surprised that a company like NEOGOV which deals with government entities would let their hiring be handled by this person. Judging by the employee reviews of this company I'd say that they need some work getting their house in order.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me on the previous service/solution that you sold.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NEOGOV in October 2011.

I had an interview with someone at Neogov. Like the other reviewer found, I thought the person with Neogov was rude. I too lost respect for the company as a whole if its hiring managers seem to be mean and impolite. The interviewer seemed to not know that much about modern I.T. The view of the company that I had was very negative during the interview process because of the questions, comments, and rudeness. I would never want to have anything to do with this company now. You've been warned. I have read bad things about them. It seems that the bad things are true (e.g., asking illegal questions etc.).

Financial Analyst Interview Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NEOGOV.

I heard from them about a week after submitting my resume to come in for an interview. Once there I met with a few different employees that were all asking the same questions so I was repetitively answering the same questions to the different recruiters. Instead of having everyone in the interview at once they had people coming and go so I kept repeating myself. Overall it was a decent interview but walking out I was confused as to what my next steps were.

Interview Questions
    • Are you one to stumble around lost or stop and ask for directions?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NEOGOV in January 2012.

Like the other 2 earlier posts, I talked with the same person on the phone. He sounds alright to me, just some typical questions about my experience and expectation, nothing too out of ordinary. After the phone interview, I didn't hear back from them anymore, obviously it means that I didn't get far enough in the interview process. On the other hand, based on what I read about this company in the other forums, I guess I should feel fortunate that I didn't get this job...

Enterprise Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NEOGOV in November 2011.

The hiring manager is the angel investor/board director/consultant to the company. I found it odd that he did not conduct the interviews on the company premise, although the company is right in the area. The first round was through a quick Skype video conference where he asked basic information about my background and experiences. He also asked for my last three years of W2 statements.

After the video interview, we arranged to meet at a Starbucks near the company (again, odd). He asked me to bring a list of questions I have about the position. I did, and I jotted down some notes. After 20 minutes, he concluded that because I had to write stuff down, I have memory retention problem so I won't be hired. He also assumed that I am anal and meticulous because of this behavior (which I am not. And is it legal to call someone the "a" name during an interview?).

Additionally, while this person was explaining to me about their target audiences, he mentioned that about 80% of HR managers are women between the ages of 35 and 45, and the IT directors are mostly men and older. I didn't feel it was appropriate for him to remark on their clients' gender and age. When you do business with someone, these should not be a factor unless you are running an advertising campaign targeted specifically to these groups (and they are not -- NEOGOV is a HR SaaS company).

I discussed my interview experience with a close friend who is a senior paralegal at an HR department. She said this company is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I was a bit apprehensive about this company prior to the in-person meeting after reading reviews on here, now I can see why those comments were made. With a Board member like this dictating the direction of the company, it's no wonder why employee satisfactions are low.