NIH

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.3

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH.

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

No negotiations.

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH.

I was already a contractor and I got switched to an full time employee.

Post-baccalaureate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH.

2 interviews-1 over the phone, 2nd in person. They really tried to match me based on my goals and interests and if they felt they could provide a learning experience for me

Interview Questions
    • Nothing tricky really. Perhaps why I never published in undergraduate studies when given the chance?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NIH in May 2013.

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in April 2013.

Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Salary

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

I got a foot in the door through a staffing agency. I surely was a great place to have visited. Directors were nice highly educated but yet very humble and seemed easy to work with

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH in July 2012.

contacted the OI directly and interviewed directly with the PI and his lab members
    gave a 30-45 minute talk followed by questions and answers