NIH Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.6

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

individual and group interview took place at previous worksite and at new worksite. Process is subjected to Federal recruitment processes with open search and selection committees presenting suitable candidates for ongoing questioning.

Interview Questions

• Leadership skills, scientific discussions of subject areas, knowledge, skill set   Answer Question

Pathways Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people who worked in the department I was applying for (Computer Science). They were generally pretty friendly and the interview was not too difficult. They asked me to describe some of my classes and some projects I had worked on. They also asked me to walk through my problem solving process.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a problem where you have to search for common words in a long document in order to extract a brief summary?   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

Interview

It was pretty easy interview. The manager took me around the lab and showed me what I would be doing. I got hired on the spot. The hiring process takes long though. The background check was irritating

Administrative Officer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

Interview

I heard about this through my graduate program. I had a phone interview and then was called in for an in-person. It was very basic stuff and I was offered the job that day but it was almost a year before I actually started there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can't really negotiate.

Management Analyst Interview

Interview

One on One interview with several personnel, interview was more very easy. no technical questions. Questions more like why did you pick this agency? what are your strength/ weakness? Do you like working with a team or self? Tell me something about yourself thats not on your resume.

Postdoctoral Interview

Interview

talk to everyone in the lab, give an presentation, answer questions, have lunch with everyone, and then wait for a long long time before any decision. And then you proberly got the offer, than wait another long time to process.

Senior Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

Interview

saw the job on usajobs.gov and lots of paper works, and lengthy process, interview is about half a way, presentation, meetings and not a lot of hard questions but saw both the scientific and clinical directors.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Contacted by an NIH recruiter inviting me to apply to the Pathways Recent Graduate program. Quick screening interview over the phone and an in-person interview a few days later. The interview was a panel with 9 or 10 managers at once who all had openings to fill. Given job offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• I did not find the questions too difficult. Most difficult thing was juggling separate questions from so many interviewers but still try to make answers relevant to anyone since they were looking to fill multiple positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. This is government so there are policies and legislation on how agencies set pay.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

Interview

Contacted via phone after applied on the Federal Governments job board. It was not much of an interview and I found it to be straightforward. My resume consisted of 6 years working in the same environment within the government as a contactor and then as an employee. With this being said I imagine the recruiter saw that it was a one to one comparison for where I was coming from to where I was going and quickly asked if I would like the job.

Interview Questions

• Position was open and felt like it needed to be filled right away so the most difficult question was would like to work there and that pay.   Answer Question