NIH

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.6

Lab Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

It was pretty easy interview. The manager took me around the lab and showed me what I would be doing. I got hired on the spot. The hiring process takes long though. The background check was irritating

Administrative Officer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

I heard about this through my graduate program. I had a phone interview and then was called in for an in-person. It was very basic stuff and I was offered the job that day but it was almost a year before I actually started there.

Interview Questions
    You can't really negotiate.

Management Analyst Interview

One on One interview with several personnel, interview was more very easy. no technical questions. Questions more like why did you pick this agency? what are your strength/ weakness? Do you like working with a team or self? Tell me something about yourself thats not on your resume.

Postdoctoral Interview

talk to everyone in the lab, give an presentation, answer questions, have lunch with everyone, and then wait for a long long time before any decision. And then you proberly got the offer, than wait another long time to process.

Senior Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

saw the job on usajobs.gov and lots of paper works, and lengthy process, interview is about half a way, presentation, meetings and not a lot of hard questions but saw both the scientific and clinical directors.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

Contacted by an NIH recruiter inviting me to apply to the Pathways Recent Graduate program. Quick screening interview over the phone and an in-person interview a few days later. The interview was a panel with 9 or 10 managers at once who all had openings to fill. Given job offer shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find the questions too difficult. Most difficult thing was juggling separate questions from so many interviewers but still try to make answers relevant to anyone since they were looking to fill multiple positions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is government so there are policies and legislation on how agencies set pay.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH.

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

No negotiations.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

Contacted via phone after applied on the Federal Governments job board. It was not much of an interview and I found it to be straightforward. My resume consisted of 6 years working in the same environment within the government as a contactor and then as an employee. With this being said I imagine the recruiter saw that it was a one to one comparison for where I was coming from to where I was going and quickly asked if I would like the job.

Interview Questions
    • Position was open and felt like it needed to be filled right away so the most difficult question was would like to work there and that pay.   Answer Question

Contract Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NIH in June 2014.

Learned the opportunity from college/university career center and applied via email. Three days after application got an email scheduling phone interview, which is one week later. The interview lasted for 30 minutes. Questions were pretty routine: introduce yourself, why you are interested in working at NIH, what is the most fulfilling part of your master program, etc.

Senior Java Developer Interview

I got an immediate on site interview. Walked into a room of about 10 people which was a bit unexpected. Everyone was friendly. They asked good tough questions, both conceptual and trivia programming questions. Overall a good experience.

I'm still deciding.