NIH Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.5

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NIH in June 2014.

Interview

Learned the opportunity from college/university career center and applied via email. Three days after application got an email scheduling phone interview, which is one week later. The interview lasted for 30 minutes. Questions were pretty routine: introduce yourself, why you are interested in working at NIH, what is the most fulfilling part of your master program, etc.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Interview

I got an immediate on site interview. Walked into a room of about 10 people which was a bit unexpected. Everyone was friendly. They asked good tough questions, both conceptual and trivia programming questions. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm still deciding.

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions

• Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

I was already a contractor and I got switched to an full time employee.

IRTA Technical Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in February 2014.

Interview

I found the available position on an online job forum for my specific field of research. The job description provided a point of contact which I submitted my resume and cover letter to. It was a slow process. I had two telephone interview over the course of 4 months. The interview questions were standard, focusing on my prior experience, research interests, and professional skills. I was asked to talk them through projects I worked on in the past and my career goals. I was offered the position a few days after my second interview.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to give an in depth explanation of your previous research projects. Be able to give specific examples of experience with computer software programs if applicable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

IRTAs are provided a salary stipend table. The salary is calculated based on education level and years of experience.

Post-baccalaureate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

2 interviews-1 over the phone, 2nd in person. They really tried to match me based on my goals and interests and if they felt they could provide a learning experience for me

Interview Questions

• Nothing tricky really. Perhaps why I never published in undergraduate studies when given the chance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation really

IRTA Postbac Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

I barely did any talking. I described a single experience. it was a really bad interview. I went on campus; paid for the interview myself though a Skype was offered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a couple of your research experiences?   1 Answer

Summer Research Fellow Interview

Interview

The applicant may have to give a talk open for the whole institute, and can also work couple days together with candidate lab.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

The interview process takes one day long and each candidate needs to give one hour presentation with questions and need to meet each individual principal investigators and several other postdoctoral fellows to be evaluated and also get an idea of what it is like to work here

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question