NIH

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.6

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NIH.

I met with the initial hiring managers and then I met with the Project Manager at the client site in order to determine skill/education level as well as personnel fit.

Interview Questions
    • When faced with a difficult employee who is neither coachable nor receptive to constructive criticism how would you deal with them?   Answer Question
    I negotiated my salary once I was given the initial offer.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in April 2013.

Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Salary

Industrial Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

Had a 30 min. phone interview to explain the position and go over the hiring process followed by an in person interview with the department manager. No technical questions were asked, just basic interview questions like "Why do you want to work at NIH" and " Describe a time when you were obligated to do something you did not want to do."

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you were forced to become a leader to get a task done and how did you go about it.   Answer Question

Postbaccalaureate IRTA Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NIH.

I was contacted by email about two weeks after my application was submitted. We set up a phone interview with 3 people from the lab and myself. The interview itself took about 25 minutes, during which I was primarily asked about my previous experience in scientific research. They also asked about my graduate school plans and what I hoped to gain from the internship. They contacted me the next day by email with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a project no panning out as expected?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

I got a foot in the door through a staffing agency. I surely was a great place to have visited. Directors were nice highly educated but yet very humble and seemed easy to work with

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation involved.

Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NIH in September 2012.

One on one interview and then a panel interview. The process is lengthy and takes few months. I applied in September and didn't get hired until December

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

Typically you'll go through one or two days of interviews. You will probably have to give a presentation about your current research. The hiring process may take a little while if they are interviewing more than one candidate.

Since salaries and benefits are set by NIH guidelines there is not much room, if any, to negotiate.

Scientific Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in August 2012.

Hiring process consists of 3 steps. I appliedd to NIH through a headhunter, initially there was an interview with the HR of the headhunter. After the phone interview, I was given an assessment which consisted of some C programming, Mysql, and Python problems. It took me almost two weeks to finish it. The manager was nice, although he did not provide me enough hints, he gave me many chances to finish it. I did complete the assignment and then was scheduled a chat room interview. I was asked many hardware questions that I had no idea of and some simple programming problems like reverse the string, how many times a function is called. After this interview there was supposed to be an onsite interview, but I did not get any call after the chat room interview.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH in July 2012.

contacted the OI directly and interviewed directly with the PI and his lab members
    gave a 30-45 minute talk followed by questions and answers