NIH Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.6

Postbaccalaureate IRTA Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NIH.

I was contacted by email about two weeks after my application was submitted. We set up a phone interview with 3 people from the lab and myself. The interview itself took about 25 minutes, during which I was primarily asked about my previous experience in scientific research. They also asked about my graduate school plans and what I hoped to gain from the internship. They contacted me the next day by email with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a project no panning out as expected?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

I got a foot in the door through a staffing agency. I surely was a great place to have visited. Directors were nice highly educated but yet very humble and seemed easy to work with

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation involved.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH.

Typically you'll go through one or two days of interviews. You will probably have to give a presentation about your current research. The hiring process may take a little while if they are interviewing more than one candidate.

Since salaries and benefits are set by NIH guidelines there is not much room, if any, to negotiate.

Scientific Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in August 2012.

Hiring process consists of 3 steps. I appliedd to NIH through a headhunter, initially there was an interview with the HR of the headhunter. After the phone interview, I was given an assessment which consisted of some C programming, Mysql, and Python problems. It took me almost two weeks to finish it. The manager was nice, although he did not provide me enough hints, he gave me many chances to finish it. I did complete the assignment and then was scheduled a chat room interview. I was asked many hardware questions that I had no idea of and some simple programming problems like reverse the string, how many times a function is called. After this interview there was supposed to be an onsite interview, but I did not get any call after the chat room interview.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH in July 2012.

contacted the OI directly and interviewed directly with the PI and his lab members
    gave a 30-45 minute talk followed by questions and answers
    flew in in the morning, spend 4-5 hours at NIH and flew out in the evening

there is no negotiating. starting salary for a 1st year postdoc is set

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at NIH in May 2012.

The interviewer had dinner with me the evening before interview and some brief discussion about the area and family. Next day, no technical questions just went over the resume.

Interview Questions
    • Are you feeling ready to help training others for Electrical Engineering work   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NIH in February 2012.

Phone call with senior researcher from my lab of interest. Discussed my background, previous projects, and what I was interested in working on. Learned about the lab and its current projects. Friendly and received the offer at the end of the phone call. Interview was not too long and straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Questions were all on my background and previous projects.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NIH in January 2012.

Got called in December to interview for an announcement I applied to in October. I spoke with two people, the lady who would be my supervisor and another supervisor. They told me about the job, ask me a few questions and I asked a few questions. Got a call about a week or two later asking to set up another interview in January. That time I met with the supervisor and two Chiefs. They had a paper with behavioral interview questions on it and took turns asking questions. I got a call the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • In your last job what would happen if you made a mistake?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you were able to influence someone outside your organization to do something for you when your other co-workers were not.   View Answer
    I was told I could not negotiate since I had never been a fed before.

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in January 2012.

I contacted the PI I was interested in directly. This appears to be a good strategy and have since advised others to do so as well, with success. I found that it really helped that I had made contacts within NIH and had a reference from one of them. The interview process was pretty informal and conversational, fit/personality seemed very important as did general clear and logical thinking, specific skill sets were emphasized but not crucial, though some positions may be very focused on technical skills.General questions included the usual experience questions and "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "whats the ultimate dream" etc. Had to do a presentation of my doctoral research.

Interview Questions
    standard visiting fellow package..not much room for negotiation