NIH Interview Questions in Maryland

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.6

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

individual and group interview took place at previous worksite and at new worksite. Process is subjected to Federal recruitment processes with open search and selection committees presenting suitable candidates for ongoing questioning.

Interview Questions

• Leadership skills, scientific discussions of subject areas, knowledge, skill set   Answer Question

Pathways Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people who worked in the department I was applying for (Computer Science). They were generally pretty friendly and the interview was not too difficult. They asked me to describe some of my classes and some projects I had worked on. They also asked me to walk through my problem solving process.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a problem where you have to search for common words in a long document in order to extract a brief summary?   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Contacted by an NIH recruiter inviting me to apply to the Pathways Recent Graduate program. Quick screening interview over the phone and an in-person interview a few days later. The interview was a panel with 9 or 10 managers at once who all had openings to fill. Given job offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• I did not find the questions too difficult. Most difficult thing was juggling separate questions from so many interviewers but still try to make answers relevant to anyone since they were looking to fill multiple positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. This is government so there are policies and legislation on how agencies set pay.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions

• Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

I was already a contractor and I got switched to an full time employee.

Post-baccalaureate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

2 interviews-1 over the phone, 2nd in person. They really tried to match me based on my goals and interests and if they felt they could provide a learning experience for me

Interview Questions

• Nothing tricky really. Perhaps why I never published in undergraduate studies when given the chance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation really

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.