NIH

2.6

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in October 2010.

The hiring and Interview Process is Completely depend upon the area of specialization of the candidate and the prospective principal investigator at NIH. The interview generally happens with resume review, then a telephone (sometimes Skype) interview, next is on campus interview. International candidates may not have onsite interview. Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions. The candidates are asked to give a presentation and meet other section chiefs. Process may go unto 3-4 months

Interview Questions
    • Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NIH in May 2013.

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online – interviewed at NIH.

Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation involved.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NIH in April 2013.

Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Salary

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIH.

Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NIH in November 2009.

Pretty straight forward: you apply probably online, get an email response from the hiring lab's PI, references are then contacted, 1:1 interview follows. One then gives a seminar typically to a group (members of a research group or who work in the field). Offer made immediately or within a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Non really but you might want to remember to lie convincingly on why you went to graduate school.   Answer Question
    Fixed pay per institute rules based on experience.

Crn Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NIH in November 2011.

I interviewed w 3 leadership people 1st and it was about 45mins long. Next I interviewed
    w 'peers' and it was like they were reading interview q's from google.

Interview Questions
    • 'Tell me about a difficult situation and how you resolved it' Dumb   Answer Question
    negotiations are solely thru HR and they are very tough

Scientific Review Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH in September 2008.

First day interview with the 4 senior staff members. Second day interview with 2 separate sessions of future colleagues and support staff, followed by debriefing with one of the senior staff members. Make sure what you say at the interview matches what you say in your application/resume. Be informed of the job description and have informed questions prepared to ask in return. Maintain a pleasant, approachable demeanor.

Interview Questions
    • As part of your job, you have to manage a scientific review meeting. How would you respond to a rude overbearing meeting participant?   Answer Question