NIH

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Hsa Interview

Hsa
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Question – Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at NIH in October 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring and Interview Process is Completely depend upon the area of specialization of the candidate and the prospective principal investigator at NIH. The interview generally happens with resume review, then a telephone (sometimes Skype) interview, next is on campus interview. International candidates may not have onsite interview. Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions. The candidates are asked to give a presentation and meet other section chiefs. Process may go unto 3-4 months

Interview Question – Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Facilities Program Specialist
Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NIH in May 2013.

Interview Details – The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow
Rockville, MD

I applied online and interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Question – I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation involved.

Administrative Officer Interview

Administrative Officer
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in April 2013.

Interview Details – Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Reason for Declining – Salary

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Pathways Program Intern
Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Interview Question – Do you feel comfortable with data analysis?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Question – How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NIH in November 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward: you apply probably online, get an email response from the hiring lab's PI, references are then contacted, 1:1 interview follows. One then gives a seminar typically to a group (members of a research group or who work in the field). Offer made immediately or within a couple of days.

Interview Question – Non really but you might want to remember to lie convincingly on why you went to graduate school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed pay per institute rules based on experience.

Crn Interview

Crn
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NIH in November 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed w 3 leadership people 1st and it was about 45mins long. Next I interviewed
w 'peers' and it was like they were reading interview q's from google.

Interview Question – 'Tell me about a difficult situation and how you resolved it' Dumb   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiations are solely thru HR and they are very tough

Scientific Review Officer Interview

Scientific Review Officer
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NIH in September 2008.

Interview Details – First day interview with the 4 senior staff members. Second day interview with 2 separate sessions of future colleagues and support staff, followed by debriefing with one of the senior staff members. Make sure what you say at the interview matches what you say in your application/resume. Be informed of the job description and have informed questions prepared to ask in return. Maintain a pleasant, approachable demeanor.

Interview Question – As part of your job, you have to manage a scientific review meeting. How would you respond to a rude overbearing meeting participant?   Answer Question

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!