NIH Interview Questions in Maryland

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.5

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2010.

Interview

The hiring and Interview Process is Completely depend upon the area of specialization of the candidate and the prospective principal investigator at NIH. The interview generally happens with resume review, then a telephone (sometimes Skype) interview, next is on campus interview. International candidates may not have onsite interview. Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions. The candidates are asked to give a presentation and meet other section chiefs. Process may go unto 3-4 months

Interview Questions

• Generally straight forward; Hardly any behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Hsa Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Global application. Many interviews via phone, email and in person. Slow process, with many steps, so prepare well. Write detail resume and cover letter. Took several weeks to move on. Hiring process is long.

Interview Questions

• Why are you changing jobs. What do you think this job is about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation in the federal government. At least for me. But got more vacation time that most.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Post Baccaleurate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

Went to the laboratory to check it out, interviewed with current employees, as well as the principal investigator. Discussed options and future plans, and discussed how I would fit into the lab.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in April 2013.

Interview

Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Salary

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved.

Support Role to Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer was dressed casual and management was surprised I was applying to such a menial post (due to prevailing economic conditions 6 years ago-recession). Not like all the other traditional interviews I have been on. More like going through the motions....

Interview Questions

• If I had computer knowledge and skills. I have worked with computers my entire professional career.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

Got called in December to interview for an announcement I applied to in October. I spoke with two people, the lady who would be my supervisor and another supervisor. They told me about the job, ask me a few questions and I asked a few questions. Got a call about a week or two later asking to set up another interview in January. That time I met with the supervisor and two Chiefs. They had a paper with behavioral interview questions on it and took turns asking questions. I got a call the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• In your last job what would happen if you made a mistake?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you were able to influence someone outside your organization to do something for you when your other co-workers were not.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told I could not negotiate since I had never been a fed before.

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.