NIH Interview Questions in Maryland

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.6

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in November 2011.

Interview

Very scientific. You give a talk, people ask question about you research. You then meet with everyone in the lab and talk with each person individually. You also meet with several Principle Investigators and talk with them individually. But most importantly, you talk with your boss, who decide whether he/she want to hire you.

Interview Questions

• How do you think the authorship for a paper you worked?   Answer Question

Negotiation

there is no negotiation for salary, which is fixed.

Predoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in April 2011.

Interview

I submitted an application to the lab, followed by a phone interview and a subsequent visit to the lab. I was introduced to a variety of lab members and also shown some of the general options for potential projects. I also was able to view a lab meeting to learn about potential projects.

Support Role to Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer was dressed casual and management was surprised I was applying to such a menial post (due to prevailing economic conditions 6 years ago-recession). Not like all the other traditional interviews I have been on. More like going through the motions....

Interview Questions

• If I had computer knowledge and skills. I have worked with computers my entire professional career.   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

individual and group interview took place at previous worksite and at new worksite. Process is subjected to Federal recruitment processes with open search and selection committees presenting suitable candidates for ongoing questioning.

Interview Questions

• Leadership skills, scientific discussions of subject areas, knowledge, skill set   Answer Question

Pathways Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people who worked in the department I was applying for (Computer Science). They were generally pretty friendly and the interview was not too difficult. They asked me to describe some of my classes and some projects I had worked on. They also asked me to walk through my problem solving process.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a problem where you have to search for common words in a long document in order to extract a brief summary?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in July 2012.

Interview

contacted the OI directly and interviewed directly with the PI and his lab members
    gave a 30-45 minute talk followed by questions and answers
    flew in in the morning, spend 4-5 hours at NIH and flew out in the evening

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there is no negotiating. starting salary for a 1st year postdoc is set

Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in January 2012.

Interview

I contacted the PI I was interested in directly. This appears to be a good strategy and have since advised others to do so as well, with success. I found that it really helped that I had made contacts within NIH and had a reference from one of them. The interview process was pretty informal and conversational, fit/personality seemed very important as did general clear and logical thinking, specific skill sets were emphasized but not crucial, though some positions may be very focused on technical skills.General questions included the usual experience questions and "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "whats the ultimate dream" etc. Had to do a presentation of my doctoral research.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

standard visiting fellow package..not much room for negotiation

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Contacted by an NIH recruiter inviting me to apply to the Pathways Recent Graduate program. Quick screening interview over the phone and an in-person interview a few days later. The interview was a panel with 9 or 10 managers at once who all had openings to fill. Given job offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• I did not find the questions too difficult. Most difficult thing was juggling separate questions from so many interviewers but still try to make answers relevant to anyone since they were looking to fill multiple positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. This is government so there are policies and legislation on how agencies set pay.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Just a one on one interview with two separate staff members. Interviewing process is definitely different depending on the position in which you are applying for. My interviewer asked several questions regarding previous employment positions and asked for me to elaborate about my role and tasks performed during my employment with that company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.