NIH

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NIH in November 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward: you apply probably online, get an email response from the hiring lab's PI, references are then contacted, 1:1 interview follows. One then gives a seminar typically to a group (members of a research group or who work in the field). Offer made immediately or within a couple of days.

Interview Question – Non really but you might want to remember to lie convincingly on why you went to graduate school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed pay per institute rules based on experience.

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Question – How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Pathways Program Intern
Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Interview Question – Do you feel comfortable with data analysis?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Officer Interview

Administrative Officer
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in April 2013.

Interview Details – Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Reason for Declining – Salary

Intern Interview

Intern
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at NIH in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone call with senior researcher from my lab of interest. Discussed my background, previous projects, and what I was interested in working on. Learned about the lab and its current projects. Friendly and received the offer at the end of the phone call. Interview was not too long and straightforward.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Questions were all on my background and previous projects.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – I got a foot in the door through a staffing agency. I surely was a great place to have visited. Directors were nice highly educated but yet very humble and seemed easy to work with

Interview Question – None. Interview was conversational and very engaging   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow
Rockville, MD

I applied online and interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Question – I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation involved.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Baltimore, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Typically you'll go through one or two days of interviews. You will probably have to give a presentation about your current research. The hiring process may take a little while if they are interviewing more than one candidate.

Negotiation Details – Since salaries and benefits are set by NIH guidelines there is not much room, if any, to negotiate.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NIH in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewer had dinner with me the evening before interview and some brief discussion about the area and family. Next day, no technical questions just went over the resume.

Interview Question – Are you feeling ready to help training others for Electrical Engineering work   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NIH in January 2012.

Interview Details – Got called in December to interview for an announcement I applied to in October. I spoke with two people, the lady who would be my supervisor and another supervisor. They told me about the job, ask me a few questions and I asked a few questions. Got a call about a week or two later asking to set up another interview in January. That time I met with the supervisor and two Chiefs. They had a paper with behavioral interview questions on it and took turns asking questions. I got a call the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• In your last job what would happen if you made a mistake?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you were able to influence someone outside your organization to do something for you when your other co-workers were not.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told I could not negotiate since I had never been a fed before.