NIH Interview Questions in Maryland

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.5

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Initial email to set up a date for interview in person. After the presentation, discussion with the lab P.I.. About 1 month later, job offer (salary, benefits, etc.)

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can contribute to the project we're likely to hire you for?   Answer Question

Pathways Program Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

This program has three different sub programs based on your education eligibility . If you qualify for either of the programs its a great way to get a paid job/internship because the funding doesn't come from the depleted NIH budget. It's easy to qualify and fill out the application for the program, but you must have someone from the inside pull you out of the application pool for you to even be considered. The interviews are based on what institute you are going to work for. I had quite a few mini interview with various people in the branch. They were all standard question just to gauge my interest in the research area.

Facilities Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

The hire process is the typical goverment hiring process. The Interview was a panel of three personnel with situational questions. The personnel on the hiring panel did not have the same level of education as I do and were not aware of some of the information that I was giving them upon answering thier questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was, Why I felt I was the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in April 2013.

Interview

Pray that a veteran doesn't apply, because you wont make the cert. The first process is they only interview people with the longest time in grade. Just cross your fingers and hope.

Salary

Clinical Research Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in March 2013.

Interview

Panel interview of 4/5 nurses in management and clinical nurse educator. The interview was more of a discussion. I wouldn't say that it was a stressful interview with an uptight feel. The women's interviewed with made me feel very comfortable. I pretty much knew I got the job before I left.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in a research environment ? Describe your nursing experience?   Answer Question

Postbaccalaureate IRTA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in January 2013.

Interview

You must contact labs directly via email in order to inquire about the possibility of hire. After sending out many, many emails, you will be lucky if you hear back from a handful of PI's looking to fill a position. They typically ask for a phone interview, then an in-person interview (or a video conference interview if you are too far away to travel.) After that, they will let you know via email or phone if they are going to offer you the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no option to negotiate for salary because it is set by the government.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

I got a foot in the door through a staffing agency. I surely was a great place to have visited. Directors were nice highly educated but yet very humble and seemed easy to work with

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NIH (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NIH (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Typically you'll go through one or two days of interviews. You will probably have to give a presentation about your current research. The hiring process may take a little while if they are interviewing more than one candidate.

Negotiation

Since salaries and benefits are set by NIH guidelines there is not much room, if any, to negotiate.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NIH (Bethesda, MD) in July 2012.

Interview

contacted the OI directly and interviewed directly with the PI and his lab members gave a 30-45 minute talk followed by questions and answers flew in in the morning, spend 4-5 hours at NIH and flew out in the evening

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there is no negotiating. starting salary for a 1st year postdoc is set