NIH

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Human Resources Specialist
Rockville, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Contacted by an NIH recruiter inviting me to apply to the Pathways Recent Graduate program. Quick screening interview over the phone and an in-person interview a few days later. The interview was a panel with 9 or 10 managers at once who all had openings to fill. Given job offer shortly after.

Interview Question – I did not find the questions too difficult. Most difficult thing was juggling separate questions from so many interviewers but still try to make answers relevant to anyone since they were looking to fill multiple positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. This is government so there are policies and legislation on how agencies set pay.

Branch Chief Interview

Branch Chief
Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NIH in March 2011.

Interview Details – The entire process took a very long time from start to finish. I was contacted after submitting an online application and attached my resume. I received 3 separate phone calls for 3 separate interviews. I was interviewed by a small team, separate individual people and then a large team and finally the Head of the Department.

Interview Question – What type of culture do you think we have here at NIH?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted another offer from another company which was willing to pay me a higher salary.

Very Easy Interview

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow Interview

Post-Baccalaureate Fellow
Rockville, MD

I applied online and interviewed at NIH.

Interview Details – Submitted application for IRTA fellowship online through the NIH website. Contacted people I was interested in working with at specific labs, then followed up with those who were interested in my application and came for one in-person interview.

Interview Question – I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation involved.

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NIH in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied to the posting via USA Jobs. The questions on the application are fairly standard and designed to eliminate candidates that do not meet certification requirements. Approximately 2 weeks after the posting closing date, I was called for a scheduled interview. The interview was on site (NIAID) and consisted of two individuals asking me questions during the one interview. The experience was different for me because they had a formulated set list of questions which they followed. Literally, I could see them read the question from a paper, they would ask the question, and then they would write my response. My overall impression was that my answers/conduct in the interview were good, but that the interviewers seemed to be going through the motions from the start. I was not offered the position and I found out that they selected a candidate that was internal. To be honest it felt like I was a victim of formality and the job was never really up for grabs.

Interview Question – If you won $100 million, what would you do with the money?   View Answer

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!