NIKE

Updated Dec 16, 2014

71 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at NIKE.

The interview process seemed very disorganized and unprofessional. I worked with the recruiter, who at times didn't know answers to my questions, to set up my on-campus interview. I had 3 panel interviews. The first was with the technical team I would be supporting. When I arrived, they didn't even know what role I was interviewing for and let me know it as they talked it out between the two. I got the sense that I was wasting their time as they kept trying to get out of the room. Initially that could be a bad signal if the interviewer is uninterested, but I got an offer...not the best way to sell a company.

The second interview was 10 minutes. Not joking, he came in, we talked a bit and said "I'm sold" and walked me to my next interview. Didn't even have the time to ask him questions given the interview would require me moving and I like to get people's perspective about the area and the company.

The third interview was with three finance people on the team. I was very unimpressed. They seemed more nervous than I did and asked the most cookie cutter questions possible. "Tell me a time when you dealt with conflict..." If these were the people I would be working with, I was not too eager.

Ultimately the manager reached out to me to move forward, but I felt given the role, business partners, and team members, this was not the time to move. I like what Nike had to offer as a company, but not at this time.

Interview Questions
    • How would you structure a business case to buy incremental servers for Nike.com?
      How would you go about conflict resolution between two senior leaders for OPEX spend?

Answer Question

Not impressed by the interviewers or team members

Senior Applications Engineer, Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NIKE.

I was approached by a contracting company for this position. There was an initial phone screen, followed by a coding assignment , followed by in-person interview.

In-person with business team- 2 guys- scenario based questions like give me a scenario where you helped a project by doing this and that etc... , how will you deal with no requirements or no documentation about a project etc.. the guy was sometimes very abstract.

The tech interview was designing a basic web app with restful api.
    The technical interview was disappointing, this guy called "bobby" randomly called some other guy, and told me that this other guy is a random pick who will try to assess me without looking at my resume. This other random guy was basically trying to be a jerk, unprofessional, asking random questions etc.. I just didn't feel like putting any effort, even though I wanted to walk out several times just went along.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected part was the unprofessional tech interviewer, I should have walked out but didn't just of decency. In 10 years of IT work experience I haven't seen jerks on an interview panel.   Answer Question

Digital Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NIKE.

I was recruited via LinkedIn. The recruiter set me up with interviews across different departments since it's a matrix organization, but it wasn't clear to me which specific role I was interviewing for at any given time. I thought I was talking to someone about the first role we'd discussed, but found out the recruiter was putting me up for a different role only when asked for specific feedback about the person's department. I would have prepared differently had I known I was actually speaking about a second role. A great, innovative company with disorganization on the recruiting side : / I also had a scheduled interview that was canceled without anyone telling me.

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at NIKE in August 2014.

1. I found the position on Nike's career site and applied online. However, knowing that online applications can be a bit of a black-hole, I found people who were on the team that was hiring for the position on LinkedIn and emailed them my resume and a brief note expressing my interest directly. Nike email format is pretty easy to figure out: first.last@nike.com

2. I received a response on the same day from someone I directly emailed, noting that my background was of interest and that the hiring manager would review my resume. A couple of weeks later I reached out to the hiring manager asking if there was still interest and the hiring manager set up a phone interview for the next day. Afterwards, he set up another hour-long phone interview with a couple other members on his team.

3. I was later contacted by one of the team members that I had a phone interview with via email to expand upon some of the answers I gave and I responded in a detailed 1-2 page write up.

4. Another week passed before I was contacted by the hiring manager saying that they were interested in flying me out to Beaverton WHQ for a super-day interview (multiple interviews on the same day). I had a campus tour that lasted 45 minutes, given by a team-member which was a casual-interviewesque talk during the tour, followed by a panel (6 members) interview where I had to present my findings regarding a couple of questions that were emailed to me a week in advance (excel/powerpoint based questions regarding market size and merchandise prices and examples of best-in-class pricing strategies).

Following the panel interview, I had an hour long lunch with the hiring manager which was also an interview - pretty general questions - mostly behavior based. After that, I had 3 more 30-60 min interviews with other team members. One was purely behavior based, the other two were technical based regarding modeling/economics/etc.

5. After a week passed I reached out to ask if a decision had been made. I assume if I didn't reach out, I would've waited for another week before I would've heard a decision from them.

I can't speak to salary because that wasn't discussed, though they asked for a range up front during the phone interviews. I didn't interact with HR other than for when they set up my flight to come out to portland.

The process was professional, the campus is great though very suburban, and they pay for your flight/hotel/rental car/food while out there. You really have to make sure your behavioral interview answers are tight and to the point - Nike looks for a very specific type of person.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we not hire you? Other specific questions on pricing analytics, how would you tackle fx/inflation changes in various countries regarding global pricing, how would you develop value-based pricing metrics given sales data.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NIKE.

Straightforward in the sense that they ask SMART interview questions, but if you give an ambiguous response they'll push you once to get more specific and then move on -- but ding you for not having an answer. This shouldn't be an issue as if you're going to add value, you should be able to speak to your past and future potential contributions.

Interview Questions
    • N/A; as stated, study SMART questions and make sure you can speak to your specific abilities.   Answer Question
    No negotiation from initial offer, but since I was leveraging another offer their initial was higher than I had expected.

Direct Procurement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at NIKE in June 2014.

I was referred by my professor at Stanford for this position in December 2013. Received a phone call from HR in June 2014 saying that they would like to interview and telling me about the position. I was appalled that they told me right from the off that the salary was a measly $50000/year.

I had one phone interview with a recruiter followed by another with the hiring manager. I was then flown out to HQ and had four 1-hour interviews followed by a campus tour and a visit to the company store. Received an offer, but the paltry salary and the inept HR convinced me not to accept.

I strongly recommend being wary of HR and Nike's notoriously low salaries. Not a good place to start your career.

Interview Questions

Incredibly low salary and limited growth opportunities

Seasonal Athlete Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NIKE in May 2014.

Applied online and recieved an email asking follow-up questions the same week. Went in for an in person interview the following week. Interview was with performed by two women within the Company Store and was a group interview with 6 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • no unexpected questions. Tell us about a time when you met a stranger? Why NIKE and why should we choose you? Tell us about a time when you learned a new skill?   Answer Question

Communications Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NIKE in April 2014.

I was approached by a recruiter and got an interview within a week. A team of two interviewed me, the process took 30 minutes. I was asked for some work samples and showed my online portfolio, hosted locally (WiFi was not available, so bring hard copies or a locally hosted site.)

Both team members were very pleasant and I left feeling very good about my performance and the interview overall. I was told they would inform me of their decision within one day.

Interview Questions
    • What is your current favorite trend in the design community?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NIKE in March 2014.

A surprisingly short interview process. I applied via internal referral and via their company website, and got contacted by the recruiter within a few days.

A very initial phone screen with the recruiter (maybe 10 minutes, the bulk of which was "Are you still interested in this job?") was the first step, followed by two panel interviews. I got the impression that the only reason for the second panel interview was that those people weren't available during the time slot of my first interview.

Nike is VERY big on panel interviews - expect a good deal of confusion around who's who, which person you should be directing your answer to, etc. I was asked to give a presentation on my project experience, and aside from this the interview was very standard behavioral questions (of the "Give an example of a time when ..." variety). Not too challenging, content-wise. Having been on the interviewer side since I started, I can say that Nike is often looking for cultural fit more than anything else (assuming, of course, that your experience broadly meets the position requirements)

After both panel interviews, I heard nothing from the recruiter for a week or two, after several emails and phone calls. I assumed I was out of the running, but then finally got a response and an offer after this period of silence. Almost every job description for Nike includes "tolerance for ambiguity" as a requirement, and this certainly holds true for the interview process.

Interview Questions
    Not much room for negotiation; Nike generally low-balls the salary (and they can get away with it because of the prestige of the company itself)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NIKE in February 2014.

Was contacted through my university's job board without applying through Nike. My interview was over the phone due to school closer, and was very relaxed. I thought I made a strong connection with the interviewer, but they did not select me for a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected, mostly behavioral questions.   Answer Question