NISA Investment Advisors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.6

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NISA Investment Advisors.

The first step was a Phone interview, after this there was another phone interview which required some research. If you make it through both of those then there is an interview on location.

Trading Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors.

30 minute phone call as I was not able to travel to St. Louis for the first meeting. The phone call was run by two employees and asked a services of Bond questions and general knowledge questions along with the traditional gambit of skills and past experience.

Round two was an all day affair in the St. Louis offices. Interviewed by each group within the operations department. Each interview was around 25 minutes and these were more about team skills and developed skills learned over the years.

Then came shadowing where I sat at the desk of several employees while they showed me what they did, pretty self explanatory they just want to know what position you would be the most interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Bond duration, convexity, team experience, finance experience, leadership experience.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NISA Investment Advisors.

One phone interview with a recruiter followed by three on-site interviews with current employees. They then asked what group I wanted to be in and I later had a placement phone call discussing what group I saw myself as a I fit in.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in October 2013.

Three rounds: In person on Campus Interview, followed by a phone interview, Followed by a 3 hour Round Robbin on site. The First two rounds were very technical. The first round included a behavioral component and the second one was exclusively technical. Concepts covered in the first round was the duration of bonds, convexity, and interest and yield payments. In the second round they probed for a broad knowledge of investment concepts and wanted to gauge how you think under duress

I did not get a third round interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about market trends I had observed and when the question was answered asked what the coause of said trend was   View Answer

Account Administrator Interview

Company employees seem very happy with their job. Had 3 interviews. One phone interview and 2 in house interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Questions About Fixed Income Securities... Duration, Convexity, Derivatives, Bonds   Answer Question

Trading Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Hiring process took a while to get a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Interview overall was very easy, few tough questions were:
      What is duration?
      What has a longer duration a 5% or a 10% coupon
      ... these are asked out of nowhere to catch you off guard.

View Answer
    They will not negotiate with you at all.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in May 2013.

Applied online. Forgot I even applied and then one day they called me a couple months later. Two phone screenings both talking about your classes, thesis, and simple bond math... Simple bond math would be..."If interest rates are projected to rise in 3 years would you purchase a 3yr bond or three 1yr bonds."

3rd round is in person and considerably harder than the phone interviews would have you to believe. It takes all day 9am-7pm, with the last of an exhausting day being a dinner interview.

Relatively hard interview. Be prepared to do some mental math calculations, to answer a google type question, to compute probabilities using a type of distribution (normal or binomial), to recite the computation of basic formulas such as variance, to calculate the beta value in an ols regression without a computer, and ask about duration convexity etc...

Interview Questions
    • You have eight balls all of the same size……7 of them weigh the same, and one of them weighs slightly more. How can you find the ball that is heavier by using a balance and only two weighings?   View Answer

Account Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in December 2012.

Met at a career fair, set up an interview on campus and met with one recruiter. The first half of the interview involved the recruiter explaining the position and asking me what questions I had. The second half, tested my skills and knowledge. After this interview, I heard back very quickly about a second interview. Set up a second interview and met with 5 group leads.

Interview Questions
    • What is convexity? Questions were asked which applied my understanding of how convexity works after that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

The process took a dayinterviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in December 2011.

General personality/fit questions and basic math questions and questions related to bonds/coupon rates and general market awareness (European crisis).

Most of the interviewers were pretty friendly, but one particular interviewer was a little bit full of himself. It was as if he wanted to prove that he was smarter than me.

Interview Questions
    • What's the fundamental problem behind the European Crisis?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in November 2011.

The first interview was informal. The next was a 3 hour round robin with various mid- to high-level executives trying to get a better idea of your background, whether you are the type of person that can be taught, and whether you are the kind of person they would like to work with. They tested for fairly simple Finance concepts as well.