NISA Investment Advisors

17 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Forgot I even applied and then one day they called me a couple months later. Two phone screenings both talking about your classes, thesis, and simple bond math... Simple bond math would be..."If interest rates are projected to rise in 3 years would you purchase a 3yr bond or three 1yr bonds."

3rd round is in person and considerably harder than the phone interviews would have you to believe. It takes all day 9am-7pm, with the last of an exhausting day being a dinner interview.

Relatively hard interview. Be prepared to do some mental math calculations, to answer a google type question, to compute probabilities using a type of distribution (normal or binomial), to recite the computation of basic formulas such as variance, to calculate the beta value in an ols regression without a computer, and ask about duration convexity etc...

Interview Question – You have eight balls all of the same size……7 of them weigh the same, and one of them weighs slightly more. How can you find the ball that is heavier by using a balance and only two weighings?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in October 2013.

Interview Details – Three rounds: In person on Campus Interview, followed by a phone interview, Followed by a 3 hour Round Robbin on site. The First two rounds were very technical. The first round included a behavioral component and the second one was exclusively technical. Concepts covered in the first round was the duration of bonds, convexity, and interest and yield payments. In the second round they probed for a broad knowledge of investment concepts and wanted to gauge how you think under duress

I did not get a third round interview.

Interview Question – They asked about market trends I had observed and when the question was answered asked what the coause of said trend was   View Answer

Interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors

Interview Details – Company employees seem very happy with their job. Had 3 interviews. One phone interview and 2 in house interviews.

Interview Question – Questions About Fixed Income Securities... Duration, Convexity, Derivatives, Bonds   Answer Question

Trading Assistant Interview

Trading Assistant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors.

Interview Details – Hiring process took a while to get a call back.

Interview Question – Interview overall was very easy, few tough questions were:
What is duration?
What has a longer duration a 5% or a 10% coupon
... these are asked out of nowhere to catch you off guard.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will not negotiate with you at all.

Clayton, MO

I applied through college or university - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in December 2012.

Interview Details – Met at a career fair, set up an interview on campus and met with one recruiter. The first half of the interview involved the recruiter explaining the position and asking me what questions I had. The second half, tested my skills and knowledge. After this interview, I heard back very quickly about a second interview. Set up a second interview and met with 5 group leads.

Interview Question – What is convexity? Questions were asked which applied my understanding of how convexity works after that.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in November 2011.

Interview Details – The first interview was informal. The next was a 3 hour round robin with various mid- to high-level executives trying to get a better idea of your background, whether you are the type of person that can be taught, and whether you are the kind of person they would like to work with. They tested for fairly simple Finance concepts as well.

Interview Question – Duration? Convexity?   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in December 2011.

Interview Details – General personality/fit questions and basic math questions and questions related to bonds/coupon rates and general market awareness (European crisis).

Most of the interviewers were pretty friendly, but one particular interviewer was a little bit full of himself. It was as if he wanted to prove that he was smarter than me.

Interview Question – What's the fundamental problem behind the European Crisis?   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in October 2011.

Interview Details – Basic personality interview with some technical questions involved as well. Questions like "explain duration", "why NISA?", etc. Overall very pleased with character of the interviewers. I could sense their enthusiasm. Received call-back within one week. They seek highly motivated individuals with a keen mathematical ability and an ability to perform on a high level.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Take the initial interview seriously and make sure to brush up on, or learn, fixed income theories. NISA makes a living through immunization strategies and it helps to show that you at least have a basic idea of the key concepts involved, i.e., time value, duration, convexity, etc.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Clayton, MO

The process took 3 months - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in June 2011.

Interview Details – I had several phone interviews with traders and PMs. NISA is frugal in flying candidates out who are not local to St. Louis (which is the vast majority of the finance world). The interviews were tough but fair for the position. Each interviewer was polite. Be familiar with CFA Level II quant, FI and derivative questions. The process took over 3 mos. which showed me they're not really serious about hiring. So if you have something better going on, don't concentrate too much energy here. They move like molasses. However, you might have better luck if you are located in St. Louis.
Also, you should consider as a finance professional if you want to work for a company in the midwest who recruits only local talent. I'm wary of an investment manager that doesn't put an emphasis in recruiting talent from larger talent pools such as NY.

Interview Question – Explain duration and convexity.   Answer Question

Clayton, MO

The process took 2 days - interviewed at NISA Investment Advisors in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted over the phone to schedule an interview within a week of applying to the company.

The interview was conducted at the NISA office in Clayton. I was interviewed by three separate people, two of whom were Vice Presidents. One on the Client Servicing side, the other on the Investment Strategies side. Most of the questions were either behavioral or mildly technical. Primarily, they were interested in seeing my general awareness of Finance and Financial concepts (VaR, ETFs, Black-Scholes)

The third person to interview wanted to test my programming skills, and asked me a few questions asking me to describe efficient algorithms to solve problems.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at NISA Investment Advisors

Worked for NISA Investment Advisors? Contribute to the Community!