NPD Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

2.4

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NPD.

Interview

I had emailed a recruiter after my friend that was working at the company had recommended me to the hiring manager. I was excited to work at the same company that had been publishing excellent research and had exposure to Fortune 500 clients.

I accepted a phone interview, however I was rudely awakened when I realized that the recruiter started the call by screaming at me and telling me to hurry up. I have completed several interviews, either phone, Skype, or in person, and I have never been treated so rudely in any of those situations. I was so shocked that I played along,but I ended up obviously not doing well because I felt I was being personally attacked.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was when the interviewer started yelling at me and making snide comments at my answers such as, "I asked you a yes or no question. Clearly you cannot follow instructions."   Answer Question

Account Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosemont, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NPD (Rosemont, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with an account manager followed by the account director. Prepare to answer questions in the STAR format. Also make sure to be able to give an example or two of your intellectual curiosity, specifically in the sector in which your position is found, ie food, fashion, technology, etc.

Interview Questions

• Explaining with an example my intellectual curiosity for the subject matter of my choice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted an entry level position and did not negotiate my salary.

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NPD in August 2014.

Interview

1 week after my online application, I had phone interview and she (HR) asked me about my experience. She was fine. She asked me my availability for face to face interview at the office. I did follow up email and reminder email but never heard back from her.
    It would be just nice to email candidate that they chose someone else. Knowing nothing is worse than receiving a rejection.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NPD in March 2014.

Interview

Similar to the other interviews, I had an initial phone screening from a New York recruiter after sending my resume in. I was told I would receive a follow up later that day or the next day to schedule the second round of interviews. I never received a follow up. After 3-4 days I emailed the recruiter, and was told she would be in touch with me as soon as she had more direction. It’s been over 3 weeks, and I still haven't received a response.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Just a more detailed look at my background, and questions on how strong my analytical skills are.   Answer Question

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at NPD (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Process included a brief phone interview with the recruiter, an in-person interview with the hiring manager (who was an Account Manager) and an Executive Director, a follow up call with a Director, then another in-person which involved taking a test with the hiring manager and speaking with a second Account Manager. After all of this, they decided to promote internally. This is awful business practice, if you are interviewing internally there is no benefit to opening the process to outside candidates. Not only is this a waste of my time, but also a waste of time for the recruiter to post a job description, scan resumes, set up phone interviews, and coordinate in-person interviews, as well wasting the time of those on the team who met with me and then had to meet with each other to discuss the outcome of the interviews internally. It was also apparent that the Director felt this way as well. She seemed completely disinterested during our conversation and it was evident that she had no desire to be speaking with me. After finding out they promoted internally, I'm sure she knew she was wasting her time as well and that explains her (rude) behavior.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in research? I always find it odd when business majors are looking for research roles.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NPD (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied in university career fair and heard back after a month for a on-site interview. The questions are all like do you know the company questions. I thought I behaved well and never heard back ever since. Not even a phone call to tell me I was rejected.

Account Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NPD (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First contact was a screening call. Interviewer asked me to explain several areas of my resume and asked if I was comfortable with the job description.

Next was an in-person interview with a second HR representative and then 2 members of the team. Each session was 30-45 minutes long, and questions were aimed at finding my level of comfortability with the role.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time when you were in a situation with an individual you didn't get along with? How did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate much because I was starting out of college.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NPD.

Interview

Applied online from indeed.com and received a phone call a few days later setting up a time for a phone interview. After that, I had 2 Skype interviews with the HR directors and received an offer the same day. All of the interviewers were very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Much of the conversation related to proficiency with excel and other analytical tools/skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accepted the hourly intern wage for full time employment over the summer.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NPD (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Meet the HR people at a Career Fair, then through exchange of E-mail, and an on-site interview. Great People, awesome location. Mostly behavioral questions.

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NPD (Rosemont, IL) in July 2010.

Interview

I was scheduled to have a phone interview on a Thursday afternoon. At the scheduled time, I waited for the call. 25 minutes later, the phone rang. The woman who was supposed to be interviewing me told me that she would have to reschedule, as she had just gotten out of a meeting that ran long. She did not apologize, which I found both unusual and rude. We rescheduled for early the next week.

The morning of the rescheduled phone interview arrived and again, I was prepared for the call at the scheduled time. 20 minutes later, the phone rang. Again, the woman did not apologize for being late calling or wasting my time.

She asked me how I was doing and I responded that I was disappointed that she was late calling me again and also that she did not apologize for being late either time. She got defensive and told me that she was sorry she was "a few minutes late" but that "due to the volume of calls that we make" it was unavoidable. I told her that if this is how they treat their candidates, then it makes me wonder how they treat their employees. I thanked her and let her know that I was no longer interested in pursuing a position with her company.

It is truly disappointing to experience the lack of common courtesy and respect afforded to a candidate by this company.