NPR Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.8

Senior Visual Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NPR in February 2015.

I applied through NPR's careers portal, and received an email from the creative director requesting to talk via phone about a week after the fact. The phone interview was actually really nice—it felt more like a conversation, rather than an interrogation or quiz. The call ended with an offer to proceed to the next step in the process (a full day at NPR) and some advice regarding portfolio presentation, which I very much appreciated. An HR representative followed up with me via email within a few days with a full rundown of what I could expect during my day at NPR and a handful of dates to choose from (about a month out). HR set and managed expectations up until the morning of the full-day interview. The day at NPR was absolutely wonderful: it started off with a brief tour of the building, then moved to a portfolio presentation with the whole team, a short interview with a developer, and then a full 4 or 5 hours of collaborative and independent work on a real NPR Design problem statement. The day was peppered with introductions, critiques and even a Tiny Desk Concert(!), and ended with a presentation of what I'd come up with as a solution to the problem statement. The day really helped shine light on the design team's process and culture, as opposed to feeling like spec work. Overall, a really amazing, challenging experience with wonderful people!

Senior Systems Engineer - IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NPR in January 2015.

Applied via Linkedin. Received interview call after ~4 months. First phone interview was with HR, second phone interview was with hiring manager and third phone interview with Systems Engineering team.

Interview Questions
    • "Hi I am ____, I called to check if you are fit for this position or not'!!
      'How to create SCCM package for software deployment' & 'What is IP and how it works?', where I was interviewing for Sr. Systems Engineer position and responsible for VMware, SAN etc.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NPR.

Applied through official website. Hiring manager seemed to already make a decision before calling. Just confirmed with me about some details. This is the most pleasant interview process. TIPS: Polish your resume to make it stand out because the competition for intern positions at NPR are extremely competitive(1% No kidding). They hire interns all 3 semesters-fall/summer/winter.

No negotiation. The pay is really low but enough to cover your expenses in DC.

Software Developer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at NPR.

Simple, came in for an interview talked for like five minutes took a tour got the job. They didnt really ask much except, how do you do, when can you start, do you like school. How did you hear about us

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NPR.

I applied online and it took about three weeks to get a phone call. They called out of the blue for a phone interview on the spot. The actual hosts of the show I was interviewing for called me which was disconcerting because I recognized their voices. They were looking to see familiarity with their material and proof of independence in finding and following through with projects independently.

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at NPR.

online application, phone interview, in person interview

Winter/Spring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at NPR in December 2013.

The turn-around was very quick. From the time I head I had an interview to the time I got an offer was about one week. The interview was fun. I was extremely stressed about it, and had no idea what to expect. They asked some standard questions, and really made me feel at ease. I remember leaving the interview thinking that I wanted to be their friends. Now I am!

Interview Questions
    • What audio-editing software have you used before?   View Answer

Producer/Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NPR.

Submitted a sample of my work via mail. Was contacted by the man who became my Editor and Supervising Producer and was flown to Washington DC for face-to-face interview with him, as well as the president and VP of Cultural Programming.

Interview Questions
    • The program was called "At the Opera." Each program was to be devoted to the opera that would be broadcast following the program. The most difficult question was, "What will you do when you have to put together a program about an opera that you do not like or do not understand?"   View Answer
    No negotiation was attempted. They offered me more than I had ever made to do something that did not even feel like work!

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NPR.

Interviewed first with Recruiter in Washington, DC. Very nice, but not as informed about the job as I had anticipated. Couldn't answer all my questions. Not sure if that was because the job wasn't flushed out, because it was not a local position or whether she was just unsure of the details. Next, interviewed with the show Producer. Very nice, but again, seemed like the job was being figured out as we were speaking about it. Overall a solid, general interview, no crazy questions or curve balls.

Interview Questions
    • The people I spoke with at NPR made it seem like they care more about the feel of the person than the experience I was bringing to the table. Be ready to talk a bit about yourself.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I was offered an interview two weeks after the application deadline closed. I phone interviewed with two people from my department and was offered the internship very quickly thereafter (it may have been that day or the next).

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you what your favorite NPR show is--duh.   Answer Question