NPR

Updated Feb 12, 2015

2.7

Senior Systems Engineer - IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NPR in January 2015.

Applied via Linkedin. Received interview call after ~4 months. First phone interview was with HR, second phone interview was with hiring manager and third phone interview with Systems Engineering team.

Interview Questions
    • "Hi I am ____, I called to check if you are fit for this position or not'!!
      'How to create SCCM package for software deployment' & 'What is IP and how it works?', where I was interviewing for Sr. Systems Engineer position and responsible for VMware, SAN etc.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NPR.

Applied through official website. Hiring manager seemed to already make a decision before calling. Just confirmed with me about some details. This is the most pleasant interview process. TIPS: Polish your resume to make it stand out because the competition for intern positions at NPR are extremely competitive(1% No kidding). They hire interns all 3 semesters-fall/summer/winter.

No negotiation. The pay is really low but enough to cover your expenses in DC.

Software Developer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at NPR.

Simple, came in for an interview talked for like five minutes took a tour got the job. They didnt really ask much except, how do you do, when can you start, do you like school. How did you hear about us

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NPR.

I applied online and it took about three weeks to get a phone call. They called out of the blue for a phone interview on the spot. The actual hosts of the show I was interviewing for called me which was disconcerting because I recognized their voices. They were looking to see familiarity with their material and proof of independence in finding and following through with projects independently.

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at NPR.

online application, phone interview, in person interview

Producer/Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NPR.

Submitted a sample of my work via mail. Was contacted by the man who became my Editor and Supervising Producer and was flown to Washington DC for face-to-face interview with him, as well as the president and VP of Cultural Programming.

Interview Questions
    • The program was called "At the Opera." Each program was to be devoted to the opera that would be broadcast following the program. The most difficult question was, "What will you do when you have to put together a program about an opera that you do not like or do not understand?"   View Answer
    No negotiation was attempted. They offered me more than I had ever made to do something that did not even feel like work!

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NPR.

Interviewed first with Recruiter in Washington, DC. Very nice, but not as informed about the job as I had anticipated. Couldn't answer all my questions. Not sure if that was because the job wasn't flushed out, because it was not a local position or whether she was just unsure of the details. Next, interviewed with the show Producer. Very nice, but again, seemed like the job was being figured out as we were speaking about it. Overall a solid, general interview, no crazy questions or curve balls.

Interview Questions
    • The people I spoke with at NPR made it seem like they care more about the feel of the person than the experience I was bringing to the table. Be ready to talk a bit about yourself.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I was offered an interview two weeks after the application deadline closed. I phone interviewed with two people from my department and was offered the internship very quickly thereafter (it may have been that day or the next).

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you what your favorite NPR show is--duh.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NPR in July 2012.

I worked through a staffing agency, but did have to interview with two people at NPR before being hired for my temp-to-perm position. It was pretty simple--the culture fit was there and my background was right, so I ended up having a pretty interesting conversation with my interviewers rather than doing a true interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult or out-of-the-ordinary. Of course, I was being hired for a temp-to-perm position so the stakes were lower than if I were up for a permanent job. At NPR a lot comes from being a good fit for the culture, so I think once they identified me as a potential "tribesman" the interview was more of a conversation than a Q and A session.   View Answer
    I worked through a temp/staffing agency

Lead User Experience Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NPR in May 2011.

HR phone interview, then hiring manager phone interview. They flew me out a few days later, and everybody was very nice. While they called the day a "long day", really it was only 9am-3pm with a 90 minute break for a group lunch. Half of the interviewers spent their time talking about culture and process. When I started showing my portfolio, the conversations derailed into related topics.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to have an in-car application with 10 buttons but no visual UI, what would the initial experience be like?   Answer Question