NPR Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2014
16 interviews

2.9

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at NPR.

Simple, came in for an interview talked for like five minutes took a tour got the job. They didnt really ask much except, how do you do, when can you start, do you like school. How did you hear about us

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NPR.

I applied online and it took about three weeks to get a phone call. They called out of the blue for a phone interview on the spot. The actual hosts of the show I was interviewing for called me which was disconcerting because I recognized their voices. They were looking to see familiarity with their material and proof of independence in finding and following through with projects independently.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at NPR in January 2010.

I had a day of interviews, about five or six all told, each lasting perhaps 30 minutes. I didn't do as much preparation as I should have. The managers I interviewed with are all gone now so I suspect my experience wouldn't necessarily help someone interviewing there now. One thing that likely hasn't changed is that you will meet with a number of people during the interview. NPR loves its meetings.

Interview Questions
    • What's your secret sauce for doing the kind of journalism you do?   View Answer
    I actually wasn't able to negotiate anything. NPR is a union shop so pay, vacation etc are all set according to the union contract.

Project Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at NPR.

online application, phone interview, in person interview

Producer/Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at NPR.

Submitted a sample of my work via mail. Was contacted by the man who became my Editor and Supervising Producer and was flown to Washington DC for face-to-face interview with him, as well as the president and VP of Cultural Programming.

Interview Questions
    • The program was called "At the Opera." Each program was to be devoted to the opera that would be broadcast following the program. The most difficult question was, "What will you do when you have to put together a program about an opera that you do not like or do not understand?"   View Answer
    No negotiation was attempted. They offered me more than I had ever made to do something that did not even feel like work!

Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NPR.

Interviewed first with Recruiter in Washington, DC. Very nice, but not as informed about the job as I had anticipated. Couldn't answer all my questions. Not sure if that was because the job wasn't flushed out, because it was not a local position or whether she was just unsure of the details. Next, interviewed with the show Producer. Very nice, but again, seemed like the job was being figured out as we were speaking about it. Overall a solid, general interview, no crazy questions or curve balls.

Interview Questions
    • The people I spoke with at NPR made it seem like they care more about the feel of the person than the experience I was bringing to the table. Be ready to talk a bit about yourself.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I was offered an interview two weeks after the application deadline closed. I phone interviewed with two people from my department and was offered the internship very quickly thereafter (it may have been that day or the next).

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you what your favorite NPR show is--duh.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4 months - interviewed at NPR in July 2012.

I worked through a staffing agency, but did have to interview with two people at NPR before being hired for my temp-to-perm position. It was pretty simple--the culture fit was there and my background was right, so I ended up having a pretty interesting conversation with my interviewers rather than doing a true interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult or out-of-the-ordinary. Of course, I was being hired for a temp-to-perm position so the stakes were lower than if I were up for a permanent job. At NPR a lot comes from being a good fit for the culture, so I think once they identified me as a potential "tribesman" the interview was more of a conversation than a Q and A session.   View Answer
    I worked through a temp/staffing agency

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at NPR in April 2011.

Saw an opening on their website. Contacted a friend of a friend as well. Wound up with a phone interview with three people. One was very friendly, one was silent, and one was relentless. "What would you do that's different?" "What stories can you suggest?" "What would you bring to NPR?" All were fair questions, but since I had a known record at another major news organization, I was a bit surprised that they were so elementary.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NPR in February 2011.

The interview process with NPR was streamlined and very professional. I was notified by phone by the hiring manager that I was selected for an interview. My first interview was with the hiring manager over the phone, the second interview was with the hiring manager and another employee with whom I would be working in the department. The questions were straightforward, nothing too out of the box. The job required skills using Microsoft PowerPoint, and I was asked to send a presentation as an example. I appreciated the fact that the hiring manager kept me apprised throughout the interview process, letting me know when she would call concerning the next step. This was the first time I applied to NPR. I did not get an offer for this position, and was told that the job was offered to someone with more marketing experience and who lived locally. Overall, the process was a positive experience and I plan to apply to NPR in the future.

Interview Questions

Worked for NPR? Contribute to the Community!