NPR Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.8

Senior Visual Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NPR in February 2015.

I applied through NPR's careers portal, and received an email from the creative director requesting to talk via phone about a week after the fact. The phone interview was actually really nice—it felt more like a conversation, rather than an interrogation or quiz. The call ended with an offer to proceed to the next step in the process (a full day at NPR) and some advice regarding portfolio presentation, which I very much appreciated. An HR representative followed up with me via email within a few days with a full rundown of what I could expect during my day at NPR and a handful of dates to choose from (about a month out). HR set and managed expectations up until the morning of the full-day interview. The day at NPR was absolutely wonderful: it started off with a brief tour of the building, then moved to a portfolio presentation with the whole team, a short interview with a developer, and then a full 4 or 5 hours of collaborative and independent work on a real NPR Design problem statement. The day was peppered with introductions, critiques and even a Tiny Desk Concert(!), and ended with a presentation of what I'd come up with as a solution to the problem statement. The day really helped shine light on the design team's process and culture, as opposed to feeling like spec work. Overall, a really amazing, challenging experience with wonderful people!

Senior Systems Engineer - IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NPR in January 2015.

Applied via Linkedin. Received interview call after ~4 months. First phone interview was with HR, second phone interview was with hiring manager and third phone interview with Systems Engineering team.

Interview Questions
    • "Hi I am ____, I called to check if you are fit for this position or not'!!
      'How to create SCCM package for software deployment' & 'What is IP and how it works?', where I was interviewing for Sr. Systems Engineer position and responsible for VMware, SAN etc.

View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NPR.

Applied through official website. Hiring manager seemed to already make a decision before calling. Just confirmed with me about some details. This is the most pleasant interview process. TIPS: Polish your resume to make it stand out because the competition for intern positions at NPR are extremely competitive(1% No kidding). They hire interns all 3 semesters-fall/summer/winter.

No negotiation. The pay is really low but enough to cover your expenses in DC.

Winter/Spring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at NPR in December 2013.

The turn-around was very quick. From the time I head I had an interview to the time I got an offer was about one week. The interview was fun. I was extremely stressed about it, and had no idea what to expect. They asked some standard questions, and really made me feel at ease. I remember leaving the interview thinking that I wanted to be their friends. Now I am!

Interview Questions
    • What audio-editing software have you used before?   View Answer

Producer/Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NPR.

Submitted a sample of my work via mail. Was contacted by the man who became my Editor and Supervising Producer and was flown to Washington DC for face-to-face interview with him, as well as the president and VP of Cultural Programming.

Interview Questions
    • The program was called "At the Opera." Each program was to be devoted to the opera that would be broadcast following the program. The most difficult question was, "What will you do when you have to put together a program about an opera that you do not like or do not understand?"   View Answer
    No negotiation was attempted. They offered me more than I had ever made to do something that did not even feel like work!

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at NPR in July 2012.

I worked through a staffing agency, but did have to interview with two people at NPR before being hired for my temp-to-perm position. It was pretty simple--the culture fit was there and my background was right, so I ended up having a pretty interesting conversation with my interviewers rather than doing a true interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult or out-of-the-ordinary. Of course, I was being hired for a temp-to-perm position so the stakes were lower than if I were up for a permanent job. At NPR a lot comes from being a good fit for the culture, so I think once they identified me as a potential "tribesman" the interview was more of a conversation than a Q and A session.   View Answer
    I worked through a temp/staffing agency

Lead User Experience Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at NPR in May 2011.

HR phone interview, then hiring manager phone interview. They flew me out a few days later, and everybody was very nice. While they called the day a "long day", really it was only 9am-3pm with a 90 minute break for a group lunch. Half of the interviewers spent their time talking about culture and process. When I started showing my portfolio, the conversations derailed into related topics.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to have an in-car application with 10 buttons but no visual UI, what would the initial experience be like?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NPR in April 2011.

Saw an opening on their website. Contacted a friend of a friend as well. Wound up with a phone interview with three people. One was very friendly, one was silent, and one was relentless. "What would you do that's different?" "What stories can you suggest?" "What would you bring to NPR?" All were fair questions, but since I had a known record at another major news organization, I was a bit surprised that they were so elementary.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at NPR in January 2010.

I had a day of interviews, about five or six all told, each lasting perhaps 30 minutes. I didn't do as much preparation as I should have. The managers I interviewed with are all gone now so I suspect my experience wouldn't necessarily help someone interviewing there now. One thing that likely hasn't changed is that you will meet with a number of people during the interview. NPR loves its meetings.

Interview Questions
    • What's your secret sauce for doing the kind of journalism you do?   View Answer
    I actually wasn't able to negotiate anything. NPR is a union shop so pay, vacation etc are all set according to the union contract.