NRDC

NRDC Interview Questions

Updated Dec 20, 2014
Updated Dec 20, 2014

Senior Analyst Interview

I submitted an online application to the HR department. I was called for a phone interview first. Then I was invited in for a series of in person interviews. My references were then checked, and I was called with an offer. I negotiated my salary (higher than initial offer). Overall, the process was a neutral experience.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Development Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NRDC.

Asked basic interview questions, HR was really friendly and down to earth. Asked me for availability and told me I would be contacted the following week but never replied to a follow-up or full on reject me. Slightly unprofessional. Process = phone interview with HR in NY, then someone else in another office before an in person interview

Interview Questions
    • logistical questions more-so; salary was asked off the bat   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NRDC in November 2014.

I applied online but also had someone that worked for the company get me in the door. I first had someone contact me for a pre-screening. I was called later that afternoon to set up a Skype interview (I was out of state). I was very prepared for the interview. I met with 5 different people in the company and it lasted over two hours. They seemed really impressed by my resume and gave me a timeline for when they would contact me (they said they would let all candidates know either way if they got the job). That day came with no call, so I contacted the company. They told me they were behind and should have an answer by the end of the week. I called after the weekend with no response. I have not heard back. I was very unimpressed by how this was handled. To go through a lengthy interview process and no one has the courtesy or respect to call you. The job was not going to offer much - they made it clear you could not move up in the company and the pay was likely very little. But given how this process was handled, I wouldn't apply again to the company.

Interview Questions
    • Some Questions
      1. Give an example of when you worked individually and what results you got.
      2. Give an example of when you worked as a team and what you learned
      3. Describe a struggle you experienced and how you death with it
      4. The hardest question, for me, was where you see yourself in 5 years. I had a good answer, but after a company tells you that there is no room to move up and most people work only 2-3 years as a program assistant and then move out of the company or go back to school, it's hard to find an answer in line with that type of attitude.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NRDC.

I was given a brief phone screen, where the position was described and we went through my experiences on my resume. I was then called in for an in-person interview. It was a comfortable conversational interview, and I really appreciated the chance to meet other employees with the Program Assistant title, to learn more about the day-to-day. After the interview, my references were called, and I waited three weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with multiple competing demands?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I had a phone interview and spoke with members of the Environmental Law Project team. They asked me general questions about my background and why I was interested in the environment. There were quite a few people on the conference call and much of the interview was spent chatting about the office dynamics and trying to figure out where I might fit on the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NRDC in December 2012.

Very competitive nonprofit. Absolutely incredible staff--my interviews were intense, but also inspiring and enjoyable! I loved everyone I met. I had two phone interviews, and one long in-person interview (with two different panels). Due to the competetive nature of the position, I had to wait 2+weeks for a decision (but it's worth it!).

Interview Questions
    • What's a tendancy or trait you have that often holds you back? Can you elaborate?   Answer Question
    Wonderful! NRDC has world-class HR. They offered above the salary I requested for this position.

Program Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NRDC in October 2012.

1) Phone interview with HR- nice HR person, basic background questions.
    2) On-site interview with HR- very similar to first interview
    3) On-site group interview- interviewers were unprepared and focused primarily on personality questions.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer attempted a few times to find out about family/relationship information.   Answer Question

I felt the interview process was hectic and slightly unprofessional.