NRDC Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NRDC (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Only got a phone call and the interviewer asked the most basic questions. Said they would follow-up with me in the next couple of days but never received an answer. It was unprofessional of them to ignore my phone call and email regarding the position status, regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about this position at the NRDC?   1 Answer

Social Media Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Over the phone. Scheduled to be 20 minutes and ended up about 30-35. Just the recruiter and me. The recruiter asked a lot of questions about the type of environment I want to work in and about why I want to work at NRDC and what my future goals are

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, had a very structured phone screen with a Human Resources staff, time was given for the staff to transcribe my answers. Called in for a second with 3 people, including their HR lead. Little over half hour interview with opportunity to ask questions. Very conversational, all three both asked and answered questions and made me feel comfortable in the environment.

Interview Questions

• Why NRDC?   1 Answer
    • How is your microsoft skills specifically office, word, and excel?   Answer Question
    • What would you former employers and co-workers say about working with you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NRDC (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The first round is a phone screening with HR, then a panel interview with the team you'll be supporting, and the final round is with the direct supervisor. The phone screening isn't hard, it's a few generic questions to gauge whether you can do the work. The panel interview was pretty informal, they just skimmed through my resume and asked me questions about things that jumped out at them. They didn't seem very prepared. The final interview was also pretty informal, and I don't know if it's because that's just the supervisor's personality, or because he didn't take me seriously as a candidate. He asked more questions about my ability to do the job, and gauged whether I would be a good fit with the team. He was very candid and said that program assistants usually stay in the position for 2-3 years and then move on because it is rare and difficult to move up within the org. I was told they would make a hiring decision after two weeks, and then never heard anything. Overall I found the process unimpressive at best, if not unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary, and what are your salary requirements? Why are you looking to leave your current job? What kind of work environment are you seeking? What are you looking for in your next role? Why are you interested in NRDC and this position, specifically? This job will require you to be continually productive on long-term assignments, but also able to respond to urgent requests in a moment’s notice. Do you have any experience in an environment that requires that type of attention span? What do you feel is key to working well with a team? Do you have any experience copy-editing? Please explain. What are your 3 greatest strengths and how would those strengths support this role? Do you have any experience managing budgets, invoices, and expenses for a department or project?   Answer Question

Senior Grant Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NRDC (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I was first emailed, then called by a representative from HR, who conducted a screening interview. After the successful screening, I was asked to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two of the development staff members. They were very friendly and the interview was pleasant, not stressful. They then sent me a 3-part writing assignment plus a very simple budgeting exercise to complete and submit for a "blind evaluation" process.

Interview Questions

• Would you be okay with the fact that you will not be meeting foundation representatives or donors/i.e., that this is purely a writing job? Have you ever written a briefing document? What is your experience working with budgets?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First contact was from a recruiter contracted by NRDC and had a good phone interview. She emailed me a few days later asking if I'd be available for a video interview in their SF office with a HR director in NY, which also went well. A week went by and the recruiter emailed me to let me know that I made it to the next round and they'd like me to come back to the SF office for a panel interview. This time I sat in a room with 5 interviewers and I felt that it went well, but maybe not as well as the previous interviews, though still good. Was told the recruiter would reach out to me about next steps. I was pretty excited. A week goes by and I hear nothing. I emailed the recruiter to show my continued interest and she replied saying they were still sorting out the next steps with the candidates and she would get back to me. Another week goes by without a word. I emailed her again and this time there was no response. I can handle rejection fine, but at least let me know. Especially after all the different rounds.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about partnering with business leaders and building relationships.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Interview

I submitted an online application to the HR department. I was called for a phone interview first. Then I was invited in for a series of in person interviews. My references were then checked, and I was called with an offer. I negotiated my salary (higher than initial offer). Overall, the process was a neutral experience.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any particularly difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at NRDC.

Interview

Asked basic interview questions, HR was really friendly and down to earth. Asked me for availability and told me I would be contacted the following week but never replied to a follow-up or full on reject me. Slightly unprofessional. Process = phone interview with HR in NY, then someone else in another office before an in person interview

Interview Questions

• logistical questions more-so; salary was asked off the bat   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at NRDC in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online but also had someone that worked for the company get me in the door. I first had someone contact me for a pre-screening. I was called later that afternoon to set up a Skype interview (I was out of state). I was very prepared for the interview. I met with 5 different people in the company and it lasted over two hours. They seemed really impressed by my resume and gave me a timeline for when they would contact me (they said they would let all candidates know either way if they got the job). That day came with no call, so I contacted the company. They told me they were behind and should have an answer by the end of the week. I called after the weekend with no response. I have not heard back. I was very unimpressed by how this was handled. To go through a lengthy interview process and no one has the courtesy or respect to call you. The job was not going to offer much - they made it clear you could not move up in the company and the pay was likely very little. But given how this process was handled, I wouldn't apply again to the company.

Interview Questions

• Some Questions 1. Give an example of when you worked individually and what results you got. 2. Give an example of when you worked as a team and what you learned 3. Describe a struggle you experienced and how you death with it 4. The hardest question, for me, was where you see yourself in 5 years. I had a good answer, but after a company tells you that there is no room to move up and most people work only 2-3 years as a program assistant and then move out of the company or go back to school, it's hard to find an answer in line with that type of attitude.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NRDC (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was given a brief phone screen, where the position was described and we went through my experiences on my resume. I was then called in for an in-person interview. It was a comfortable conversational interview, and I really appreciated the chance to meet other employees with the Program Assistant title, to learn more about the day-to-day. After the interview, my references were called, and I waited three weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with multiple competing demands?   1 Answer