NRG Energy Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.5

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NRG Energy in June 2015.

Interview

I conducted a telephone interview, then was invited to attend the plant for a sit-down interview. I know the gentleman who was conducting the interview as well as the others in the room. I was able to walk around and say hi to many others who work at the site that I know, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was asked many plant type questions, training I have attended and my expectations for working at NRG Energy.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy and straight forward for me. I submitted my application and made some follow up calls to the hr department. They were friendly and got me in for an interview which went well and showed I was a good fit for the position. Afterwards they emailed me all of the follow up documentation as well as instructions for the mandatory drug test. Once I returned all of the materials the on boarding process began which lasted for about the first month of my employment.

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I applied online out of curiosity because the position sounded interesting and the application was painless. The next day I got a missed call and a vm from the HR team telling me that they were really excited to receive my application and she wanted me to call her back and chat briefly about the position. I called the number she listed back around 6pm, which turned out to be the HR person's cell number and she was actually driving home. We agreed that she would call me back at 10am the next day to discuss the job (I specifically said I was available before 10am and that my schedule fills up with afternoon meetings). 10am comes around, no call. 11am, no call. Then finally at 1:45pm when I'm about to step into a meeting she finally calls and asks if it was a good time. .. Well no, a good time would have been 10am like we agreed on, but anyway I told her I would call back at 3pm. She says "ok if I don't answer just leave me a message and I'll call you right back". 3pm I leave a vm, don't hear anything until the next day when I see a Phoenix area code calling. At that point I felt this company was so unprofessional that I didn't even pick it up. She left me a message and also sent me an email, but I left both unanswered. The next week on Monday she calls and I give this company another chance. She sets up a time for me to talk to the hiring manager on Wednesday. After talking to him for 30-45 minutes, he says that he would love to bring me out for an on-site interview, and after confirming my interview date in 2 weeks he said that the HR team would be in touch with me to coordinate my travels. He also said that he would send me an email so I could contact him if I had any questions before flying out to AZ. 2 weeks have gone by, and I haven't heard a word from NRG. This interview is supposed to happen the day after tomorrow. OH BUT WAIT- I just received an email from the HR team (finally). It says: "Thank you for applying for the ---------- position at NRG. Since the time you applied for this position, we have filled it. We do thank you for your time and patience in this process." .......Are you kidding me?? I mean, I think this speaks for itself. I never had any intention of leaving my current company, but for a week I did consider the possibility. However, now that I have experienced the most unprofessional, scattered HR (and seemingly management team) ever, I am certain that I would never want to work for this company. Just for reference, I was more than qualified for the position and would have needed one heck of an offer to leave my current situation, so I think they realized that they would have had to pay me much more than they were allocating for. But still, coming from someone who has been interviewing and working since I was 16, I am confident in saying this is the more unprofessional HR experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• How much do you make and how much would you need to make in order to move here?   Answer Question

Asset Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Princeton, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied through their website in March. Didn't hear anything until mid-May. Had a phone screen that followed with an on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a few hours. Questions were mainly on past experiences and basic knowledge of energy industry, few behavioral-like questions. The next day, got the phone call with the offer, followed by email for drug screen process and background check.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about David Crane's vision for the company?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Princeton, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

Very nice process from beginning to end. They seem to really care about the employees and the candidates that they interview. Office environment is open so that will be an adjustment if you are accustomed to working in a cubicle.

Interview Questions

• To real tough questions. It was more of a get to know you interview with some insight into how the company works on a day to day basis. They were very considerate throughout. As you leave, they follow up with emails to see what you thought about the job and the company.   Answer Question

Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toms River, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Toms River, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Super fast 5 min interview at a walk in open review. They started with an overview of the company. Then we all sat and waited to be interviewed. Once you were picked, they just ask what position you are interested in and gave a brief overview. They did not really asked much just wanted a resume and some background for them to decide later.

Inside Solar Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NRG Energy (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Basic phone interview to qualify for a group interview with the HR woman, a sales manager, and their Sales Director at that time. Phone interview was just a basic screening. A few days later I was scheduled for the group interview the following week. There is no one to greet you at the front of the office and I had to roam around a moribund sales floor looking for the HR woman.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my solar sales experience and then tried to sell me on how great it would be to work for them in San Francisco.   1 Answer

They are preposterously cheap, and disingenuous with their commission projections. You would have to be an inexperienced fool to sign on.

Control Room Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lumberton, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Lumberton, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was informal. One interviewer was in person and the HR person was on the phone. I called HR Manager twice to get a follow up on my interview and she never returned my call.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw someone drinking alcohol in the parking lot before work.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NRG Energy (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One in person interview and three phone interviews. Mostly behavioral based questions revolving around my background, experience, and interests. Some "technical" questions just asking about specific things I've learned about that are pertinent to the business. Overall, not too tough - just be yourself and be honest. They also asked about hobbies and activities which was nice because it seemed like they really wanted to get to know you. It was also important to ask them questions since they leave time at the end for that. You want to show them you have interest in what they are doing and what working there is like.

Interview Questions

• What has been your favorite project you've worked on in school?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NRG Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied for a position on indeed.com, got a call from a recruiter for a phone interview a couple of days after. It lasted about 30 mins and he went over regular questions about my background and experience. I got called for a Face to Face interview onsite. I eventually got interviewed for 2 positions but got rejected on both of them...4 months later I saw another NRG position open. I applied and got a call from the same recruiter who had called me previously, he mentioned that he kept my info on file and would like to present me to another NRG group for an interview. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager who went over my experiences with me and asked me several behavioral questions. At the end I got called in for another onsite interview which involved me putting together several excel reports to test my reporting and variance analysis skills. I emailed my report, showed up onsite and had to present it to the hiring manager during my interview. I met with 3 others who tested my knowledge on FP&A reporting and cost center finance management

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with SAP?? Have you used a KSB1 report?? How do you dig in to discover variances in expenses within your cost centers   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a bit more, but had to really justify it. They budged