NRG Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied within a week of the position being posted. In a week I was contacted by the HR person and spoke with him and talked to someone I'd be working with over the phone the next day. I had an in-person interview with 3 people the following week. It seemed like a great place to work as I had heard.

Interview Question – The interview was pretty standard. They wanted to know more about my background and why I was interested in the position. They also had personality and logic / math tests   Answer Question

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Maintenance Supervisor
Avon Lake, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NRG Energy in April 2010.

Interview Details – Took a long time. Two on site interviews and a phone interview. Spent a lot of time waiting to hear back from them. I almost took another job before they got back to me.

Interview Question – Asked what my greatest weakness was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much for negotiation. Did manage to get a little re-location

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy.

Interview Details – Applied for a different position, but was referred to the hiring manager for a job I thought I was a better fit for. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager, then a phone interview with the group director two days later. Interviewed in person the week after with several different employees.

Was asked questions about my resume, how to value assets, design a model, and general industry questions -- nothing that a seasoned energy professional couldn't handle.

Was kept in constant contact with both the hiring manager and the group director throughout the process. Received a very competitive offer the same week of the interview. The whole process was done in less than two weeks.

Interview Question – How to optimize inter-departmental information flows and analytical processes.   Answer Question

Senior Planning Support Analyst Interview

Senior Planning Support Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at NRG Energy in November 2013.

Interview Details – Comany was still in a flux with the merger of GenOn Energy which closed Q1 of 2013 so they were still trying to consolidate personnel, back offices, systems, etc.

First a phone interview with HR, then with IT group at GenOn Energy, Houston, TX who felt my experience was an exact fit for the job as I had just finished an implementation of Hyperion Planning and HFM, replacing SAP BPC and they had also just did that in 8 months along with changing JD Edwards over to SAP. They made me feel they were going to offer me the job over the phone so in 1 week I was to just go in and meet with the team for a face to face interview in Princeton, NJ in a group interview with a mix of Finance and IT people, some on the phone from Houston, TX and the rest in Princeton, NJ which lasted 30 mins. Noone really knew the sytems so I felt I was a consultant in the interview offer advise on how to fix the problems they were having.

Very, very, awkward interview as the Business Analyst from Houston, TX took me around the office after or during the interview, introduced me to everyone, and let them congratulate me and welcomed me to NRG Energy. He even told me where I was going to sit, yet I did not get a job offer or the job.

Follow up by HR was very professional as the Director of HR who I had been in contact with had personally called me to let me know he was sorry to tell me I did not get the job and also sent me an email in a very timely manner to give me closure.

I was glad to not get the job since they implemented the Hyperion and SAP systems in only 8 months and were still having many issues they did not know how to resolve and were relying on this person to make process improvements and fix all the issues they were having. A big seat to fill.

Interview Question – IT Analyst from Houston, TX was drilling me on Hyperion Planning and Essbase questions that he did not know the answer to and probably thought I was a know it all when I answered the questions knowing more them him. Also, what is the best way to get the dimensions in sync between HFM and Hyperion Planning? Data?   View Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy.

Interview Details – Interview was very easy. First a phone interview and then after a month face to face interview. Both times it was a group interview with the same team who was hiring. It appears that this hiring was agenda based because there was really no hard questions. Both interview lasted not more than 15 minutes. The questions were very superficial and it seemed that nobody in the group was very knowledgeable. I felt like that when they called me for a face to face interview, it was just a drill and they already had made up their mind to hire me.

Interview Question – There was no difficult question, but when I realized that job was not exactly how it was described in the job description.   Answer Question

Control Room Operator Interview

Control Room Operator
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at NRG Energy in May 2011.

Interview Details – Very quick 10 minute interview. Got an offer letter in about an hour then started job pre-screening which took a month including background check and drug screen. Started work with very similar experience with old boiler types so I was released to work the job on my own in a week.

Interview Question – Adjusting to a union type workplace was a little awkward but after a few months got used to it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very cut and dry due to the Union contract.

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, Background Check and Drug Screen

Interview Question – Conversational. Talk about the roll and standard resume walk through.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation leverage for interns.

Wind Technician Interview

Wind Technician
Sweetwater, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy in December 2010.

Interview Details – It was a great atmosphere and I felt very comfortable during the interview. After my interview the HR department was very quick in getting in touch with me and a package arrived quickly with the offer letter.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 2-5 yrs.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at NRG Energy in May 2010.

Interview Details – I initially had a phone interview with an HR coordinator. After that I was tasked two develop two press releases. I had 24 hours to complete the assignment. Following day I got a phone call from HR to set up an in-person interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Name a time when you worked with a difficult employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations allowed for interns.

Director of Digital & Emerging Technology Interview

Director of Digital & Emerging Technology
Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NRG Energy in March 2012.

Interview Details – The phone interview was with the Staffing Agency and the recruiter had an extremely positive and up beat attitude. She did a one-to-one assessment of my experience to the job description and felt I was a great match. Later that day she called back with a face to face interview scheduled for the next day. I met with the NRG head/department manager the next day. She seemed stressed and extremely busy and rushed through my interview.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult questions asked. I presented a portfolio with case studies I had written and we discussed those.   Answer Question

Worked for NRG Energy? Contribute to the Community!