NRG Energy Interview Questions

2.5

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at NRG Energy.

A recruiter places you in touch with the managerial staff for a phone interview. Then you get the invite for the face to face meeting. The office is very 'boiler room' like. It reminds me of a fly by night marketing company.

You are then put in the interview box. it's very unaccommodating, uncomfortable and downright unprofessional. Expect the interview to last three to four hours. You will encounter extremely unprofessional, baby boomer type women who are used to make a judgement on your personality and likeability. They ask the same questions used in all business interviews, ID your strength's weaknesses, goals, challenges you completed, etc.

Interview Questions
    • "What makes you think you would be a good fit for the role" WTF ??? Do they research your actual history prior to the interview? Why would that even be a question if they've reviewed your qualifications and brought you in for the entire day.   View Answer

MOBILE/WIRELESS TECH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy in August 2014.

First of all, this is contract to hire position, was told after 6 months, it could go permanent. Company was nice, but I got through interview from a outside recruiter.

In-person interview was set and most of the time the interviewer talked about the company rather than asking me questions. I was wondering why. Then at the end of the interview, I was told if selected, that there will another phone interview. It is the the other way around. (somehow I don't like it ... explained below)

From a phone interview prospective, there is an additional person, and here comes the questions, tech questions. Now I know why they didn't ask me much question on in-person interview, saving the best for last?. The tech questions were not hard at all, but didn't get 100% correct though. I guess not 100% correct may have costed me losing this job opportunity. Well, if they would have done the phone interview first, I probably would get the job and/or didn't get so disappointed. I mean, if I didn't pass the phone interview, I probably didn't waste time on in-person interview. (it will not be set if I didn't pass the phone interview)

Anyhow, I was told if selected (from the best 4 candidates from 2nd phone interview), I would be notified in two days and I didn't get notified after two days. That means I am out of luck.

Solar Technician IV Interview

Written test with multiple interviews on the phone and in person. Must have knowledge in the electrical or mechanical field. General interview process with the manager, a supervisor, and HR rep. Power plant experience not required.

Interview Questions
    • Same general questions in terms of safety focused and green energy plants.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy in May 2014.

I applied within a week of the position being posted. In a week I was contacted by the HR person and spoke with him and talked to someone I'd be working with over the phone the next day. I had an in-person interview with 3 people the following week. It seemed like a great place to work as I had heard.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty standard. They wanted to know more about my background and why I was interested in the position. They also had personality and logic / math tests   Answer Question

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Avon Lake, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon Lake, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NRG Energy in April 2010.

Took a long time. Two on site interviews and a phone interview. Spent a lot of time waiting to hear back from them. I almost took another job before they got back to me.

Interview Questions
    Not much for negotiation. Did manage to get a little re-location

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy.

Applied for a different position, but was referred to the hiring manager for a job I thought I was a better fit for. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager, then a phone interview with the group director two days later. Interviewed in person the week after with several different employees.

Was asked questions about my resume, how to value assets, design a model, and general industry questions -- nothing that a seasoned energy professional couldn't handle.

Was kept in constant contact with both the hiring manager and the group director throughout the process. Received a very competitive offer the same week of the interview. The whole process was done in less than two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How to optimize inter-departmental information flows and analytical processes.   Answer Question

Senior Planning Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at NRG Energy in November 2013.

Comany was still in a flux with the merger of GenOn Energy which closed Q1 of 2013 so they were still trying to consolidate personnel, back offices, systems, etc.

First a phone interview with HR, then with IT group at GenOn Energy, Houston, TX who felt my experience was an exact fit for the job as I had just finished an implementation of Hyperion Planning and HFM, replacing SAP BPC and they had also just did that in 8 months along with changing JD Edwards over to SAP. They made me feel they were going to offer me the job over the phone so in 1 week I was to just go in and meet with the team for a face to face interview in Princeton, NJ in a group interview with a mix of Finance and IT people, some on the phone from Houston, TX and the rest in Princeton, NJ which lasted 30 mins. Noone really knew the sytems so I felt I was a consultant in the interview offer advise on how to fix the problems they were having.

Very, very, awkward interview as the Business Analyst from Houston, TX took me around the office after or during the interview, introduced me to everyone, and let them congratulate me and welcomed me to NRG Energy. He even told me where I was going to sit, yet I did not get a job offer or the job.

Follow up by HR was very professional as the Director of HR who I had been in contact with had personally called me to let me know he was sorry to tell me I did not get the job and also sent me an email in a very timely manner to give me closure.

I was glad to not get the job since they implemented the Hyperion and SAP systems in only 8 months and were still having many issues they did not know how to resolve and were relying on this person to make process improvements and fix all the issues they were having. A big seat to fill.

Interview Questions
    • IT Analyst from Houston, TX was drilling me on Hyperion Planning and Essbase questions that he did not know the answer to and probably thought I was a know it all when I answered the questions knowing more them him. Also, what is the best way to get the dimensions in sync between HFM and Hyperion Planning? Data?   View Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy.

Interview was very easy. First a phone interview and then after a month face to face interview. Both times it was a group interview with the same team who was hiring. It appears that this hiring was agenda based because there was really no hard questions. Both interview lasted not more than 15 minutes. The questions were very superficial and it seemed that nobody in the group was very knowledgeable. I felt like that when they called me for a face to face interview, it was just a drill and they already had made up their mind to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question, but when I realized that job was not exactly how it was described in the job description.   Answer Question

Control Room Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at NRG Energy in May 2011.

Very quick 10 minute interview. Got an offer letter in about an hour then started job pre-screening which took a month including background check and drug screen. Started work with very similar experience with old boiler types so I was released to work the job on my own in a week.

Interview Questions
    • Adjusting to a union type workplace was a little awkward but after a few months got used to it.   Answer Question
    Very cut and dry due to the Union contract.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NRG Energy.

Phone Interview, Background Check and Drug Screen

Interview Questions
    • Conversational. Talk about the roll and standard resume walk through.   View Answer
    Little negotiation leverage for interns.

Worked for NRG Energy? Contribute to the Community!