NSF International Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Food Safety Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NSF International.

Interview

First was just a prescreen phone interview with HR. Had a second and third interview with regional managers via Skype. Those interviews were really supportive, and very encouraging. It was funny because the last interview I had with a regional manager, he warned me about how to handle the final interview with their boss, as she was a little hard to deal with, and he was not kidding! After passing the 3 interviews, I was asked to take a personality and math test, and come up with a 10 minute presentation to give via Skype to the head manager for food audits.
    I found the last interview to be a really negative experience. After my presentation, the manager actually admitted that she was going to take my ideas presented and give them to clients as her own ideas. During the interview, I felt like she was pretty much trying to convince me not to take the job. She just seemed like a really negative person, and it was such a different experience than the first 3 interviews.
    Oh, and I was told during the first interview that pay was non-negotiable. They start at the very low end, and pay less than the health department even though you have to travel 70% of the time. I thought that was a little ridiculous as it barely covered cost of living out here.

Interview Questions

• Most of the same questions were asked during the 3 different interviews, so be prepared to keep repeating your ideas.
      How would you handle a difficult client?
      What would you look for during inspections?
      Name a difficult situation in the workplace, and how did you respond?

Answer Question

User Support Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very quick and easy. The Manager and Team Leader where very down to earth an comforting. It eased the tension of that interview nervousness if you know what I mean. They really just wanted to know what I knew. They didn't ask me any difficult questions or require anything extreme. They simply asked what did I do on a daily basis. That's it. Beautiful clean building too.

Associate Toxicologist II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Began with a phone interview from HR. Very basic, asked why I wanted to work at NSF and what I knew about the company. This was followed by an on-site interview where I was interviewed by 6 employees. This was a mix between management and potential peers. The entire process was not overly intense. Expect your basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NSF International.

Interview

First interview was done by phone with HR in Ann Arbor. Second Interview was a 1 hour phone interview with two of the PI's. The final interview was onsite and took approximately 3 hours. It consisted of several individual interviews with PIs and the Research Director and one panel interview and it consisted of a laboratory tour.
    Behavioral questions and questions regarding items on my resume.
    All the interviewers were polite and very friendly.
    Received a call with an offer two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• "I am going to ask you a basic analytical chemistry question. You have a UV-VIS and a solution with an unknown concentration. How do you determine this solution's concentration?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tried to negotiate for a higher salary and was declined.

Senior Technical Reviewer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at NSF International.

Interview

I only had a phone interview with an HR type person. He contacted me via email to setup a time. After already explaining my work history, he asked me "can you explain the discrepancies and time lapses in your work history? I've only been out of grad school for two years and had 4 positions. I told him that one of them was continuous which was on my resume if he read it. I am an adjunct at a local college. I told him at the beginning of the interview that I was looking for a challenge. That is why I left my first position for my second position. Then I had to have surgery. Thus I lost my job and had to get another one. While being honest is not always the best policy with these things, he seemed confused. He kept asking why I left one position for another. Then at then end, when I told him how much money I was making, he asked if I would take less. What a waste of time. This interview exposed the culture of this company. I would avoid at all costs.

Interview Questions

• Will you take less money than you are making?   1 Answer

Junior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NSF International.

Interview

The interview process was unusually long and drawn out. There were half a dozen phone interviews with various people, multiple in-person interviews, a test and more. At times things went quickly, at other times there would be weeks with no responses. The whole process took three and a half months. I have to admit that at time I thought they just gave up. Luckily, I was not in any rush.

Interview Questions

• I was probably asked every normal interview question imaginable. There were no trick or unreasonable questions, just lots of questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was some negotiation but I truly felt it was all in good faith and both sides were seeking an agreement that everyone would be happy with.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Interview

Process was overly extensive. First a screening call from HR, then in-person interview that took 3 hours, meeting with 6 different people. Then I had to come back again to meet with some senior managers, then a writing test.

Interview Questions

• The writing test was unexpected - for an entry level job, and after I had already met with so many other people!   Answer Question

Collections Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by a company recruiter via email then followed up with a screening interview over the phone. I was asked to come in for an interview with the department head the following day. Mid-way through the interview, the rest of the department came in and were invited to ask me questions as well.

Food Safety Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NSF International in August 2013.

Interview

Received a phone call to get pre screened, took a personality test, an English test, and a math test all before first interview. The next steps are a first and second interview by phone and a third in person or Skype interview

Interview Questions

• You are asked what are things you would observe in a safety audit during the pre screen call.   Answer Question

Food Safety Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at NSF International (Lake Forest, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Just had my first phone interview. The questions: how did you get into food safety, what do you think this position will entail. The interviewer shared and described the three different areas/positions available in Food Safety at NSF. She asked me about how much I expect to make.

Interview Questions

• If you were doing an audit of an establishment, walk me through how you would conduct an inspection, i.e. what types of things would you look for?   1 Answer