NSF Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at NSF in September 2014.

Received call for phone interview set for the very next day. Was given a code to contact them with an 800 #. Was set with three ladies on conference call but really couldn't hear them clearly because I was on speaker. I really wished they picked up the phone to ask a question

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your current position , and what is it's size?   View Answer
    • Is there anything about yourself that you did not put on your resume?   View Answer
    Haven't heard back yet as it was on 9-9-14 and today is only the 15th of September

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at NSF.

The hiring process is not fair. They recruit more from peace corp and the pathways program. If you come to BIO you will undergo a gruling process that will last all day. You will also have to do a skills assesment along with a work sample.

Design and Publishing Section Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at NSF in April 2014.

The interviewing process consisted of two interviews, a phone interview and in-person panel interview. The phone interview was a comprehensive and thorough Q&A session: the questions were well-balanced drawing on technical and management experiences behavior based. I was confident in my answers and enjoyed the phone interview that extended beyond the proposed 45 minutes.

The in-person interview consisted of a three-person panel interview in a small office where I felt most comfortable because of the layout: small round table with four chairs. I was asked nine to eleven questions total that were both technical and management related. I was most impressed with answers to the questions I had during the process of interviewing with NSF management. Overall, it was a great exchange of information leaving me feeling even more confident and enthusiastic about working at the National Science Foundation.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because I'm already government employee - there is a standard pay increase based on a formula to allow for a two step pay increase between grades

Program Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at NSF.

Application submitted via USAJobs; phone interview with 5 people from various programs; questions were generally straightforward - basically summarizing CV and how it fit in with program.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a workplace situation involving conflict, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at NSF in May 2011.

Fairly straightforward. Was applying through a referral, so not much in the way of rigor. Just some general fit questions and discussion about the projects they had on hand.

GK-12 Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montclair, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montclair, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at NSF in April 2008.

Sat down and we chatted about my jobs

No negotiation.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at NSF in February 2009.

USAJOBS site to apply, many false starts with interview scheduling due to their workload, phone interview with timeline for next steps, arranged an onsite interview, full day of meetings 1/1, presentation, group meeting with support team, HR meeting that was odd for me as potential salary offer was based on previous years 1040 or w-2 so if consulting and variable work, got no recognition of experience, no negotiation on salary beyond a "signing bonus" option. Very collegial atmosphere, dedicated professionals, a big pot of money to distribute as grants and too few people to get the work done.

salary non negotiable

Worked for NSF? Contribute to the Community!