NSF

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at NSF.

Interview Details – The hiring process is not fair. They recruit more from peace corp and the pathways program. If you come to BIO you will undergo a gruling process that will last all day. You will also have to do a skills assesment along with a work sample.

Interview Question – I varies from office to office do not go to BIO   Answer Question

Design and Publishing Section Head Interview

Design and Publishing Section Head
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at NSF in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interviewing process consisted of two interviews, a phone interview and in-person panel interview. The phone interview was a comprehensive and thorough Q&A session: the questions were well-balanced drawing on technical and management experiences behavior based. I was confident in my answers and enjoyed the phone interview that extended beyond the proposed 45 minutes.

The in-person interview consisted of a three-person panel interview in a small office where I felt most comfortable because of the layout: small round table with four chairs. I was asked nine to eleven questions total that were both technical and management related. I was most impressed with answers to the questions I had during the process of interviewing with NSF management. Overall, it was a great exchange of information leaving me feeling even more confident and enthusiastic about working at the National Science Foundation.

Interview Question – Honestly, there was any difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation because I'm already government employee - there is a standard pay increase based on a formula to allow for a two step pay increase between grades

Program Director Interview

Program Director

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at NSF.

Interview Details – Application submitted via USAJobs; phone interview with 5 people from various programs; questions were generally straightforward - basically summarizing CV and how it fit in with program.

Interview Question – Describe a workplace situation involving conflict, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at NSF in May 2011.

Interview Details – Fairly straightforward. Was applying through a referral, so not much in the way of rigor. Just some general fit questions and discussion about the projects they had on hand.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

GK-12 Fellow Interview

GK-12 Fellow
Montclair, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at NSF in April 2008.

Interview Details – Sat down and we chatted about my jobs

Interview Question – why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at NSF in February 2009.

Interview Details – USAJOBS site to apply, many false starts with interview scheduling due to their workload, phone interview with timeline for next steps, arranged an onsite interview, full day of meetings 1/1, presentation, group meeting with support team, HR meeting that was odd for me as potential salary offer was based on previous years 1040 or w-2 so if consulting and variable work, got no recognition of experience, no negotiation on salary beyond a "signing bonus" option. Very collegial atmosphere, dedicated professionals, a big pot of money to distribute as grants and too few people to get the work done.

Reason for Declining – salary non negotiable

Worked for NSF? Contribute to the Community!