NSF Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.2

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NSF.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. They all asked thoughtful questions and were very engaging. The whole process felt like a relaxed formal conversation. I have to write at least thirty more words here. It's silly that they can tell me how many more words I have to write, but they won't put a little counter next to the dialogue box that counts down until I've met the requirement.

Interview Questions

• I don't want to tell any specific questions. If you get the opportunity to interview with NSF, your responses should be organic to that conversation.   Answer Question

Writer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NSF.

Interview

I was interviewed in person by two managers at the same time. One was the second-level supervisor of the unit I was interviewing for and the other was head of public affairs/media relations.

Interview Questions

• The senior interviewer: head of legislative affairs was very conscientious in the interview and asked intelligent and wide-ranging questions and engaged me in a relaxed conversational exchange. The other interviewer, head of public affairs, was oddly passive and disengaged and had no questions.   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NSF (Arlington, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

Received call for phone interview set for the very next day. Was given a code to contact them with an 800 #. Was set with three ladies on conference call but really couldn't hear them clearly because I was on speaker. I really wished they picked up the phone to ask a question

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current position , and what is it's size?   1 Answer
    • Is there anything about yourself that you did not put on your resume?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Haven't heard back yet as it was on 9-9-14 and today is only the 15th of September

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NSF.

Interview

The hiring process is not fair. They recruit more from peace corp and the pathways program. If you come to BIO you will undergo a gruling process that will last all day. You will also have to do a skills assesment along with a work sample.

Design and Publishing Section Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at NSF (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process consisted of two interviews, a phone interview and in-person panel interview. The phone interview was a comprehensive and thorough Q&A session: the questions were well-balanced drawing on technical and management experiences behavior based. I was confident in my answers and enjoyed the phone interview that extended beyond the proposed 45 minutes. The in-person interview consisted of a three-person panel interview in a small office where I felt most comfortable because of the layout: small round table with four chairs. I was asked nine to eleven questions total that were both technical and management related. I was most impressed with answers to the questions I had during the process of interviewing with NSF management. Overall, it was a great exchange of information leaving me feeling even more confident and enthusiastic about working at the National Science Foundation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation because I'm already government employee - there is a standard pay increase based on a formula to allow for a two step pay increase between grades

NSF REU Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NSF (Fairfax, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview was done through Skype. Unfortunately the connection was terrible throughout the entire call and I had a hard time hearing what they asked. Although it was an awkward barrier, I politely asked them to repeat their last sentence, even multiple times until I could clearly understand what they were asking. My interviewers were very cooperative in trying to make the situation better, and we were able to eventually finish the interview. The interview itself was pretty basic. They asked me about myself and my resume. They moved onto asking me solving questions related to what their field of research was specifically (Spatiotemporal Innovation).

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program to model climate change?   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NSF.

Interview

Application submitted via USAJobs; phone interview with 5 people from various programs; questions were generally straightforward - basically summarizing CV and how it fit in with program.

Interview Questions

• Describe a workplace situation involving conflict, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Program Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NSF in February 2014.

Interview

I first interviewed with a panel of 4 Program Specialists. It was a fairly simple interview, standard questions were asked and I was able to to ask everyone questions as well. The group was friendly. I then interviewed with the Director and which was one on one, it was a short interview.

Interview Questions

• I dont really recall many of the questions that were asked of me. I dont think any of them where difficult. It was a very standard interview with the regular interview questions. I think I may have asked them less standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a starting salary...that was nice :)

Science Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NSF in July 2012.

Interview

Email contact followed up by video-conferencing interviews and phone calls. The video conference was surprisingly easy and it was good to talk to and see several staff members in the process. Fairly easy and straight forward hiring process with a great orientation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NSF (Washington, DC) in May 2011.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Was applying through a referral, so not much in the way of rigor. Just some general fit questions and discussion about the projects they had on hand.