NVIDIA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.3

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NVIDIA (Westford, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Two phone screens. One completely based on resume and the second consisted of basic conceptual questions from data structures, OOP concepts, advanced computer architecture, digital logic and design verification. Cleared the phone screens and made it to onsite where I met 6 people for 45 min each. The questions were again from the same topics as the phone interview but was more in depth. Had to constantly follow-up to get an answer after the onsite interview only to be told after 4 weeks that they chose someone else.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any very difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Interview process was so so disorganized that it was hard to believe Nvidia would fall under this category. Had a round of phone interview and was called on site for a whole day of interviews. I thought I did all the interviews pretty well and was hoping to hear about an offer. They call me after two weeks saying they want to schedule another day of on site interviews. Very strange but I was relieved that they got back to me finally! Did a whole day of interviews on -site and phone interview with a senior manager of the whole team. After an agonising 2 weeks of waiting, they got back me via phone and email saying I got the offer. I was super excited as I liked the job profile of the position immensely. The HR then called me to ask about what I was expecting and explained the benefits etc. After I week, I still had no offer letter or communication except the email before, and I tried to get in touch with the HR. They never picked up or replied to my emails. Finally after one more week, the HR got back to me saying the position was removed and like you can try applying to other positions in the company. Seriously, a very unfair move on their side. Making me attend interview one after the other, prolong the process for 2.5 months, give me the offer and take it back afterwards. Totally lost all my regards for the recruiting process and HR, wasting my time,their time and playing with my morale!! They should have atleast helped consider me for other positions within the company but they never did!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

applied on line. Then got an email from hr that they will arrange the interview. There are 2 phone interviews by the engineers from the team that you applied the position , each one 45 minutes. some questions related with your resume, then programming questions

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA).

Interview

This may be unusual - not everyone's experience may be like this. During general introductions, the recruiter criticized my former employers and used some adjectives to compare them with NVidia. In trying to establish that they don't negotiate salaries, commented on my past choices. I gave factual, courteous answers and focused on actual interviews that were about to start. Sometimes recruiters don't realize that polite candidates might let unwelcoming language pass without retort, but they are impacting the NVidia's brand as an employer. The interviews were fine in general but we didn't seem to be a match. I don't get surprised by odd questions or behaviour, but interviewers tended to cut my answers off mid-sentence. They did not like me setting context for my answers to what seemed like theoretical situation MCQ list. The role requires soft skills and situations are not black or white.

Interview Questions

• Normal people and project management questions, not too tough for me: Your strengths Your weaknesses. What would you do with a late feature request that can blow away your schedule?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NVIDIA in May 2015.

Interview

The HR contacted me, for a phone screen, with the hiring manager. Time and date were scheduled, over email. First Phone screen- The hiring manager called, and explained the role. He went over my resume, and asked questions about my project. Asked me to explain some projects. Then asked what is virtual memory, whats a mutex, difference between a mutex and a spin lock. He asked some behavioural questions like- How important is communication? What are advantages of being a team [player versus working alone? if you were to pick a manager, what traits would you look for? If you were a manager, how would you pick engineers ( what traits etc). How important is marketing skill in an engineer? Overall -cordial, polite, to the point, and nice. Got through first round- Got email the next day, about second phone screen. Second phone screen was with an engineer. He was also polite, cordial. Introduced himself, explained about some background. He saw over my resume, and asked some resume based project. Then he asked me if i have a pen and a paper with me. I did, and he asked me to write a memcopy implementation in C. I fumbled a bit on this and goofed up the implementation. He asked me to optimize the code, and what would the max optimization would be possible in such a code? He also wanted the code to be cross platform across 32 bit as well as 64 bit.

Software Interview

Interview

standard questions about coding, 3 round technical interview and they also ask about previous working experience. In the second round, they will ask for coding questions that needs to be written on paper or text editor, choose preferred language and do 3 simple questions.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

Applied online, the first round was resume based and basic data structures, linked list reversal etc. The second round was hardware design based, how to synchronize systems with different clocks etc, verilog code for the same. Did not hear back from them for 2 and half months, when I sent a follow up mail, they rejected me.

Interview Questions

• Synchronize two systems with different clocks? Write code verilog   1 Answer

Graphics Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at NVIDIA (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and contacted through Linkedin. First round was phone screen. Manager did mention that there would be another phone screen before the onsite. Easy and simple questions. Already had a competitive offer, so did not mind much about further rounds.

Interview Questions

• Lot of linux command questions. Was asked to write many scripts.   Answer Question

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

I applied through the college career fair. Got an email for a phone interview from the recruiter. I had 3 rounds spread out over 1.5 months. Even though I had little experience with graphics, they interviewed mainly for a mobile graphics driver position.

Interview Questions

• First interview was basic C stuff, static keyword, volatile keyword inline functions, malloc, implementation of memcpy etc   Answer Question
    • Second interview was more graphics centric: I was asked to describe the internal architecture of a GPU, the graphics pipeline, explain rasterization, what are shaders etc I was asked to solve one question on a shared screen and then there was some basic comp arch related stuff.   Answer Question
    • Third interview was about my projects, and then again some graphics, explanation of various parts of the graphics pipeline etc. I was then asked some basic C questions, linkedlist reversal, bitwise swap, strcmp() implementation etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

Campus recruit first, did a quiz about some basic programming questions. And then followed by a phone interview, in which they asked a lot of details about cache, stack, and heap. Also asked some algorithm problems. Most of the problems are not too hard, but they seem to be very strict about your answers.